How long did it take to regrow your edges?

How long did it take to see regrowth?

• Hair still has not grown back

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 0-3 weeks

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 1-3 Months

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 4-6 Months

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 7-12 Months

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 1-5 Years

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sheanu

Hello ladies!

How long did it take for you to see results with consistent care of your edges/nape?

For those that have seen regrowth:
1) What condition were your edges/nape in before?
2) How long was your hair damaged?
3) What caused the damage?
4) What did you do to regrow your hairline/edges?

sheanu

Bummmmp! I know there are several threads on this issue but I thought it would be nice to have a poll in one place that just says how long it took those ladies who have successfully regrown their hair

Evolving78

1) What condition were your edges/nape in before? bald
2) How long was your hair damaged? about 7-9 months
3) What caused the damage? postpartum shedding
4) What did you do to regrow your hairline/edges? i used MN cream for a month or so, but i just allowed time to do it's thing. im not sure if it worked. i ended up cutting my hair shorter too around that time.

Rhondie

I can't say exactly how long it took but I estimate about 2-3 months before I started seeing growth.
1) What condition were your edges/nape in before? very thin and bald in some areas
2) How long was your hair damaged? a few months
3) What caused the damage? post partum shed coupled with too much heat use
4) What did you do to regrow your hairline/edges? I stopped flat ironing and massaged my bald areas nightly with castor oil and tried the inversion method for one week. After inversion I saw a noticeable difference.

prettybyrd

How long did it take for you to see results with consistent care of your edges/nape?
It has been a few years. The side that was the worst is just now starting to show progress.

One side was totally bald (pictured) the other was slowly going.

I don't know. I just remember trying Celie braids one evening a few years ago and noticed that plaits on the right side did not braid all the way down to my hairline at the temple or just behind my ear. There were a few inches between where the braid stopped, and where my hairline should have been.

My edges have always been thin, but a combination of pulling my hair back into a tight, high puff for years; and hormones are the likely culprits.

4) What did you do to regrow your hairline/edges?[/QUOTE]
Initially, I used the herbal growth blend that circulates here, but I didn't see much growth with that. Then I went to JBCO and scalp massages and saw some growth. Now that I'm exercising, eating better, getting enough water, and massaging my scalp regularly, I'm noticing my hair thickening in the temple area.

I'm actually seeing very short hairs all along my hairline, and the hair at my temples is getting long. Before the hair would not get long at all. It was like the hair at my temples had an inch long terminal length, but now the hair at my temples grows as long as the rest of my hair. I can braid it!

These days I can wear a bun and see my fuzzy edges. It's great for me because I have not had any edges in so long, I can't even be bothered trying to slick them down.

Here are some pics that might help:

December 2012 - I think this is right when I noticed the problem.

This is from two minutes ago. :grin:

While it's thin and slowly coming in, the bald area is much smaller now. In the top photo, it didn't grow long at all, and the hair was thin back past my ear. It is much thicker now.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Im lucky. My edges rarely saw full or partial balding. They will thin though. Always from tension or wearing bonnets or scarves or wigs. The latter was cured with satin pillowcases and ditching wigs and micros.

They thin about 50% when I catch it. They are usually back in full forced after 3 months. I just leave them alone and let them do what they do.

My edges, bangs and nape are the only areas that grow fast. They are rarely a concern.

sheanu

It has been a few years. The side that was the worst is just now starting to show progress.

One side was totally bald (pictured) the other was slowly going.

I don't know. I just remember trying Celie braids one evening a few years ago and noticed that plaits on the right side did not braid all the way down to my hairline at the temple or just behind my ear. There were a few inches between where the braid stopped, and where my hairline should have been.

My edges have always been thin, but a combination of pulling my hair back into a tight, high puff for years; and hormones are the likely culprits.

Initially, I used the herbal growth blend that circulates here, but I didn't see much growth with that. Then I went to JBCO and scalp massages and saw some growth. Now that I'm exercising, eating better, getting enough water, and massaging my scalp regularly, I'm noticing my hair thickening in the temple area.

I'm actually seeing very short hairs all along my hairline, and the hair at my temples is getting long. Before the hair would not get long at all. It was like the hair at my temples had an inch long terminal length, but now the hair at my temples grows as long as the rest of my hair. I can braid it!

These days I can wear a bun and see my fuzzy edges. It's great for me because I have not had any edges in so long, I can't even be bothered trying to slick them down.

Here are some pics that might help:

December 2012 - I think this is right when I noticed the problem.

This is from two minutes ago. :grin:

While it's thin and slowly coming in, the bald area is much smaller now. In the top photo, it didn't grow long at all, and the hair was thin back past my ear. It is much thicker now.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely see progress! Congrats

SophieDulce

After I had my daughter my edges were snatched lol. !!! It took about six months to grow them back.

Last edited:

NefertariBlu

Hello ladies!

1) What condition were your edges/nape in before? Really short and sparse a big gap of about 2-3 inches of sparse edges
2) How long was your hair damaged? years!
3) What caused the damage? I pull my hair in that section so it was self inflicted :sad:.
I only use JBCO massaging every night for about 2-3 minutes. I have noticed a difference with growth. It is slowly filling in after 3 months. I will see if I can insert pictures later.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hello ladies!

-Thin on right side from life stress
-Over a year, maybe even two
-Stress & maybe even style selection
-Jbco. Took a good 6 mths to a yr for them to bounce back

Willow00

) What condition were your edges/nape in before? Before I went natural a few years ago, my edges just weren't there...I had a receding head line and peach fuzz, but that's it.
2) How long was your hair damaged? For years from high school to college.
3) What caused the damage? Relaxers. Finally figured out I was sensitive to something in relaxers.
4) What did you do to regrow your hairline/edges? Stopped relaxing hair, used RX strength antimicrobial shampoo for months, used cortisol cream for months, and took biotin and multivitamins daily.

Took about a couple of years to get my edges back.

SimJam

in about 4 months I had enough hair to be braided into a loose corn row

broken down to less that 0.25 inches

always had issues with my edges and nape but got worse with stress in 2011

over manipulation and stress. I break my hair off when Im stressed

This took me over 3 years of trying and failing at breaking myself out of picking at my nape and edges. I still do it but not to the point of hampering my growth.

apart from relieving myself of the stressful situation and being conscious of when Im picking my hair and stopping ... I:
  • kept the areas always moisturized and sealed (I actually carried leave in and oil with me to work)
  • focussed my protein treatments on my nape and edges
  • once they could be braided, I got them loosely braided or flat twisted (I know this could be considered to be counter productive but the fact that I pick at my edges and nape meant that I had to have them "out of reach" ... this worked for me)
  • Now that there is enough growth at my nape for me to flat twist on my own, I pretty much always keep my nape flat twisted (2 - 3 inches)

sheanu

in about 4 months I had enough hair to be braided into a loose corn row

broken down to less that 0.25 inches

always had issues with my edges and nape but got worse with stress in 2011

over manipulation and stress. I break my hair off when Im stressed

This took me over 3 years of trying and failing at breaking myself out of picking at my nape and edges. I still do it but not to the point of hampering my growth.

apart from relieving myself of the stressful situation and being conscious of when Im picking my hair and stopping ... I:

[*]kept the areas always moisturized and sealed (I actually carried leave in and oil with me to work)
[*]focussed my protein treatments on my nape and edges
[*]once they could be braided, I got them loosely braided or flat twisted (I know this could be considered to be counter productive but the fact that I pick at my edges and nape meant that I had to have them "out of reach" ... this worked for me)
[*]Now that there is enough growth at my nape for me to flat twist on my own, I pretty much always keep my nape flat twisted (2 - 3 inches)

I have the exact same issue: stress and when I'm stressed I tend to pick my edges even more. I'm trying to stop but it's very hard. Thanks for the tips.

SimJam

sheanu no prob, I KNOW what you're going through but its doable!!!

and once you get your hair to the point that you can do the loose flat twist or corn rows, you will really see some improvement.

I was able to stop picking my edges pretty easily (unfortunately because I was going HAM on my nape) the hard part is to stop picking altogether

BUT WE CAN DOOO ITTTTT !!!

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Rhondie, thanks so much lovie. It's funny but I knew what inversion is but didn't know the name. Just 2 weeks ago I found a Middle Eastern YTer that discusses this. And she provided the same exact tips as the link you shared. Thanks so much! I need to get on it! xo

sheanu

sheanu no prob, I KNOW what you're going through but its doable!!!

and once you get your hair to the point that you can do the loose flat twist or corn rows, you will really see some improvement.

I was able to stop picking my edges pretty easily (unfortunately because I was going HAM on my nape) the hard part is to stop picking altogether

BUT WE CAN DOOO ITTTTT !!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. So you found that picking was you're biggest issue with recovering you're hairline and nape? My mum tried to stop me from doing it when I was a kid but I'm married and out the house but it's only gotten worse :nono:.

ChasingBliss

Edges on left side thinning.
Thinning over a decade.
Pulling with tight ponytails or buns.
Rogaine is the best thing that ever happened to my edges. I'm loc'd now but still faithfully using it every night. I started seeing sprouting hairs in less than 2 months.

SimJam

Thanks so much for the encouragement. So you found that picking was you're biggest issue with recovering you're hairline and nape? My mum tried to stop me from doing it when I was a kid but I'm married and out the house but it's only gotten worse :nono:.

Yes definitely picking is my issue. Ive picked areas bald and shine before. And yes I've been doing this since I was about 8.

I think the only thing that has saved me is that I don't normally pull out the bulb and on the odd times that I do pick an area shine the hairs have grown back.

It is a hard habit to break but Im working on it

here are some pics of the ups and downs of 2012 and what I can do to my edges and nape when Im stressed

May 2012 - some progress
June 2012 - massacred :look:
December 2012 - on the mend again

Attachments

• RT edges may 2012.jpg
    RT edges may 2012.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 102
  • puffandedgesjune 2012.jpg
    puffandedgesjune 2012.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 92
  • December 2012.jpg
    December 2012.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 110

hairqueenny

1) What condition were your edges/nape in before? My edges were bad and looked completely gone. I couldn't even wear a bun/ponytail.

2) How long was your hair damaged? I never had damage prior to this but it took about 3 installs which is 9 months to get them back.

3) What caused the damage? Postpartum and a really tight weave install. I put the weave in about 2 weeks after having my baby and the person braided the edges way too tight

4) What did you do to regrow your hairline/edges? I used the Jane Carter scalp nourishing serum on my edges and massaged every 2 days. I also used this on my scalp before my installs after getting the hair braided. This stuff is the BOMB.com! It's a small bottle and expensive but my edges approved immediately! I also purchased the Jamaican Black Castor Oil to try since they have grown out because that Jane Carter is expensive but I'm using every single drop.

CurlyBuu

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm having serious issues with my scalp. Is it damaged beyond repair? It feels completely smooth :(

Attachments

• image-2230165343.jpg
    image-2230165343.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image-949741941.jpg
    image-949741941.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3922345191.jpg
    image-3922345191.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 108

hairqueenny

I need to look and see what is in this JC nourishing serum. Off to look!

The bottle says the ingredients are pure essential oils of grapefruit, palmarosa, ylang ylang, cedarwood, vitamins a, d, & e, soy oil. I like the scent too though I can understand if someone says they don't like it lol. It's one of those you either love it or hate it!