How long did it take you to find your staple products & kick your pj-ism?

Diva_Esq

And once you did, did you convert your pj-ism to something else (i.e., styling tool-ism, hair accessory- ism, etc.)?

What is/ are your hair related addiction(s)?

What did you do with the products you no longer use once you were cured?

:drunk:

I'll go first:

How long did it take you to find your staple products & kick your pj-ism? My transition was 11 months, 3 days...I've been natch (lol) since April 5 (almost 5 months) and I'd say within the last 2 months, I'm finally down to my staples for curly hair. I will have to figure them out for dry, flat ironed hair come fall. So I'm going to say 14 months to cure my pj-ism (11 transitioning + 3 natch).

And once you did, did you convert your pj-ism to something else (i.e., styling tool-ism, hair accessory- ism, etc.)? Yes, apparel and accessories that compliment the natch look I am rocking. Condish. Big earrings. Just moved to develop my new style more.

What is/ are your hair related addiction(s)? CONDITIONER, CONDITIONER, CONDITIONER!! Especially ones that smell good/ fruity AND are thick and creamy! My hair loves them! Natch hair shirts/ totes/ etc! Talking about hair. Also, ez combs/ hair zings. I am addicted to printing pics of styles I want, pointing out natches in commercials/ print ads/ just walking down the street. I'm addicted to hair flowers and other accessories. Addicted to my routine! Addicted to cowashing and deep con...I cowash daily and deep con 1-2x a week!

What did you do with the products you no longer use once you were cured? Gave them away to others who were in their experimental stage/ transitioning or in my natch hair group!

It surprisingly didn't take me that long to find staple products. But I'm still a hardcore pj. I can't help it.even though I have found products that work for me I always want to try new products. Between this site and my insatiable curiosity I don't think I'll ever get this pj monkey off my back

It surprisingly didn't take me that long to find staple products. But I'm still a hardcore pj. I can't help it.even though I have found products that work for me I always want to try new products. Between this site and my insatiable curiosity I don't think I'll ever get this pj monkey off my back

I've been having the urge too...especially with Keracare intro'ing new prods geared at natches. But I channeled that toward stocking up on my staples that were on super sale instead. So I still got some new bottles to hold...caresss...LOL

I've been having the urge too...especially with Keracare intro'ing new prods geared at natches. But I channeled that toward stocking up on my staples that were on super sale instead. So I still got some new bottles to hold...caresss...LOL

Girl I already put in my order. I tried to wait for someone to review it but I couldn't help myself. There should be a rehab for people like us.

Hangs my head down in shame:nono:, but it took me a liitle over 2 years to get over my pjism. It is terrible I know. But ya know, I'm semi-cured and that's all that matters.

I still like trying new products but now I weigh how much I actually need a new product before I purchase it on a scale of 1-10.

If the need does not reach at least 8 out of 10 then, I try not to even entertain the idea of purchasing a non-needed prouduct. It's a constant work in progress for me.

it didnt take me long at all to find my staples. i know what my hair likes but i love to try new products so i do lol.

a bit over 3 years until I found my staples. My pjism now is finding duplicates of products I have or buying more when I run out of them.

3 months. Once I finish deciding on what shampoo I like (darn you Elucence for letting me down!) I will be down to almost 100% certainty of what products I will use every day/weekend on my hair and it feels good :). Something about just setting out what product works best for you depending on what it's supposed to do with total certainty and comfort...excellent. But before that I was a raging PJ, guess I had to get it out my system first.

Hmm... I'd say it took me about 6 months to find products in different categories that I liked (DC, poo, oils, etc). I do switch products every other use, but I've never had pj-ism. I haven't purchased any horrible products, so when the PJ urge strikes, I just wait until my current bottle is finished to try something new. :)

And once you did, did you convert your pj-ism to something else (i.e., styling tool-ism, hair accessory- ism, etc.)?

I've had greater interest in hair accessories lately... haven't bought any though. Now that my hair is semi-long I plan to buy some bunning tools as well as other accessories.

Talking about and looking at hair is my main addiction.

Girl I already put in my order. I tried to wait for someone to review it but I couldn't help myself. There should be a rehab for people like us.

PJs Anonymous! lol

Hangs my head down in shame:nono:, but it took me a liitle over 2 years to get over my pjism. It is terrible I know. But ya know, I'm semi-cured and that's all that matters.

I still like trying new products but now I weigh how much I actually need a new product before I purchase it on a scale of 1-10.

If the need does not reach at least 8 out of 10 then, I try not to even entertain the idea of purchasing a non-needed prouduct. It's a constant work in progress for me.

Good tactic!

a bit over 3 years until I found my staples. My pjism now is finding duplicates of products I have or buying more when I run out of them.

True, I think mine converted to that!

Hmm... I'd say it took me about 6 months to find products in different categories that I liked (DC, poo, oils, etc). I do switch products every other use, but I've never had pj-ism. I haven't purchased any horrible products, so when the PJ urge strikes, I just wait until my current bottle is finished to try something new. :)

I've had greater interest in hair accessories lately... haven't bought any though. Now that my hair is semi-long I plan to buy some bunning tools as well as other accessories.

Talking about and looking at hair is my main addiction.

We have the same addictions! :)

Once I did the BC, took about 2 years. It took longer trying to stick to a regimen than finding products. The products were right from day 1, it was the experimenting with products, techniques and regimen that kept me going nuts.

At first yes, to buying clothes LOL But that had to stop as well because I need to save money.

Compulsive shopping, which at this point is somewhat under control

Most of it I used myself. I am surrounded by women in my house so there is always a daughter to give the products to.

ETA: Not subscribing to threads PJ's are in (sorry IDTHair LOL) helps alot too!

Not long to find staples, maybe 7 or 8 months after my BC (Nov 08) but I've yet to kick PJ-ism. I always think there's a possibility that there's something better out there.

For a while, I tried to use headbands and scarves as a replacement

What is/ are your hair related addiction(s)? Headbands, combs, moisturizers, conditioners

I'm cheap so I still try to use em. I'll mix em with something else, or use conditioners to shave. Sometimes I just leave things at my mom's house because it might work for her. She usually uses whatever I leave too.

I'm still a PJ! Sad but true! Two years into my hair journey so far!

Before I focussed on hair, I was already starting to smarten up my dressing and style.

I am currently transitioning my PJism into Make-up. I'm not buying more make-up per-say, just learning how to use it properly (without breaking out my skin!)

My hair-related weak-spot would be CONDITIONERS (lol...actually the only new hair products I have bought in 2 months...I'm getting better, see :lol: )

I am now just deciding to let go of things that didn't work for me, either by giving to friends or doing product giveaways at LHCF London ladies' meetups!

Wrong but funny. We love you IDTH.

I am not a PJ....tis all.

For real....I guess 2-3 years if you have a budget for outside of generally BSS fare. Product snob that I am, I was not always so willing to try a product if it were a $1. And no I still haven't tried Lustresilk LOL. V05 didn't do squat for me as a natural - that went in the "Free Take Now" box that periodically goes outside. Tressame, is okay - but that new Suave Professional green bottle is alright, but I don't use it.

I have a regimen now, but it fluctuates still. And I love new products - like I saw the Murad products today, but I passed them up, YEA ME! But I did buy Burts Bees Avocado Butter - like I can't make this at home, but...

The days of spending a mint on products are pretty much over. Now I'm just slowly adding in the stuff I have, using it and hopefully before the end of 2011 I will have a normal, manageable "haircare shelf"

Oh, having incentives helps too. Like...I'll get myself a "___________" if I stop "_____________" in 6 months. Or I'll get myself a "_____________" when I reach APL.

Write down a product wish list and allow yourself a haul when you reach a goal - say less breakage, or thicker ends, or APL, or whatever.

Last edited:
Well I started my search about March of 2009 and I'm just settling down and documenting my staples so I a little over a year.

And once you did, did you convert your pj-ism to something else (i.e., styling tool-ism, hair accessory- ism, etc.)? Nope, I have staple styling tools too: my cricket combs (safety of seamless for a small price), my hana professional, and I don't use a brush but I'll probably snatch up the kent phat pin brush

What is/ are your hair related addiction(s)? Shampoos & leave in's I have like 6 different shampoos at the moment (lemelone I've heard worse) and I'm probably going to start searching for a protein free and silicone free leave in but after that I'll stop poos will probably always be a mini addiction because I want one or two that can clean and deflake my scalp while moisturizing my strands

some are in my bins and some I've swapped on here or NC

Last edited:
How long did it take you to find your staple products & kick your pj-ism?About two months. Seriously I was on a spending spree for those 2-3 months. Im a broke college student I had no choice but to kick the habits.

And once you did, did you convert your pj-ism to something else (i.e., styling tool-ism, hair accessory- ism, etc.)?Nope. I like my simplicity.

What is/ are your hair related addiction(s)?Oils. I gotta have them all. I adore my oils. But I use them for my whole body. Not just hair. Other than that nothing really. Now that I have a good amount of my oils no need for me to do shopping anytime soon.

What did you do with the products you no longer use once you were cured?Gave them away to my sister.

I'll tell u when it happens.

now that Ive found some staples ie: for cowashing and styling, ive moved on to hoarding:nono:

and now that my hair is longer - Ive been trying to curb the urge to buy every type of hair fandangle known to mankind

I mean I cant get my hair into bun and yet Im one click away from buying hairsticks :drunk:

eta: for the products that i dont use anymore, my parents doggies have the best looking hair in town

Last edited:
I'll tell u when it happens.

now that Ive found some staples ie: for cowashing and styling, ive moved on to hoarding:nono:

and now that my hair is longer - Ive been trying to curb the urge to buy every type of hair fandangle known to mankind

I mean I cant get my hair into bun and yet Im one click away from buying hairsticks :drunk:

eta: for the products that i dont use anymore, my parents doggies have the best looking hair in town

:lachen: Never thought about that!!!! :)

I've been natural for several years and my hair is still on a journey. I mean, I am constantly learning new things about it. It has taken a long time to figure out what my hair doesn't need. I know what it wants now, but that has nothing to do with hindering my PJ-ism. I'm always going to be a PJ. Why? Because I am having too much fun! My hair loves trying new products just like my body loves new clothes. I buy products that work and I love it!

My present addiction is Conditioner!!! I also love a good leave-in (hard to come by), a good detangling brush, detangling comb, hair accessories etc. . . But there have been and will continue to be many other things. One of the most fun and addictive things I've done is made my own shampoo bars. :yep:

Back