How long do you give a product to work?

How long??

• 2 weeks

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • If after the first use it aint workin, Im done!

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

tapioca_pudding

I was wondering - How long do you ladies use a new product before dubbing it either a hit or miss? I tend to get frustrated after 2 weeks of no improvement. I may need to work on patience w/ my hair tho. What about you....? :)

Last edited:
Usually 4-6 weeks because within that time, my hair will have received some form of protein as well as a clarifying poo both of which can cause products to behave differently. However, if I see that it's damaging my hair, I'll discontinue use sooner.

I think 4 uses for a poo and 2 weeks for moisturizers, etc is reasonable.

If a product is going to be a staple I usually know right away. A new product will get around 2 wks 4 uses or so then will be regaled to the land of the lost for an occasional filler in a mix.

If it makes my hair feel unusually dry, hard, or crunchy the first time I use it, that is it. If it is just okay, I will give it more time to see what I can mix with it to use it up. Maybe another week or two, then it is going to the swap at the next get together or given away.

Unless specified on the bottle that multiple uses are recommended for maximum benefit, I will be able to tell how my hair will react to it within the first 3 to 4 uses. If it is weak..it has got to go. I'm on a mission...:woot:

Last edited:
tdenmil said:
If it makes my hair feel unusually dry, hard, or crunchy the first time I use it, that is it. If it is just okay, I will give it more time to see what I can mix with it to use it up. Maybe another week or two, then it is going to the swap at the next get together or given away.
Yeah, if it feels like it's making my hair worse, it's history. No second chances.
If it's just average, I just use it along with my better stuff until it runs out (or close enough to running out that I don't feel guilty throwing it away.)
I also look at my nails; I've used a couple of color enhancing shampoos that made my fingernails peel from being in the suds. Even though my hair felt okay, the damage to my nails was enough of a warning to make me toss the bottles.

If the product does no harm, I'll give it 2 mos to show its stuff. Mediocre gets doctored up with oils or mixed. It's interesting how some things work well with each other.

I NEVER used to experiment before LHCF:lol:

I give it one day.......i did that with Dabur Amla Oil....after it worked I bought 6 more :D

I depends on the product. A moisturizer I know right away. Something like an oil or treatment I give about 2-3 weeks because it takes your hair time to see what it's really gonna do. For a shampoo or conditioner sometimes longer than 3 weeks b/c I don't wash my hair that often, so i need a couple uses to know if it's working.

kels823 said:
I was wondering - How long do you ladies use a new product before dubbing it either a hit or miss? I tend to get frustrated after 2 weeks of no improvement. I may need to work on patience w/ my hair tho. What about you....? :)

Good question! I feel the same way, though I try to give it 4 weeks, despite my frustration. If there are guidelines for expected results on the container, I also try to go by that, though honestly, I'm just not as diligent if it has to take more than 4 weeks :(

Really it depends on the product and what it's supposed to do.
If it's not hurting my hair I give it a month or just use it up.

mermaid said:
Yeah, if it feels like it's making my hair worse, it's history. No second chances.
If it's just average, I just use it along with my better stuff until it runs out (or close enough to running out that I don't feel guilty throwing it away.)
I also look at my nails; I've used a couple of color enhancing shampoos that made my fingernails peel from being in the suds. Even though my hair felt okay, the damage to my nails was enough of a warning to make me toss the bottles.

Cute babies:)

However, I usually wait for a least a month to tell if it's working or not.

It depends on the product, but I will generally give it about three uses to work--BY ITSELF, that is. No mixing carrier oils and essential oils and honey and glycerin and aloe vera juice and whatever else to get it to work. If a product cannot perform by itself, I...AM...DONE!

If a product leaves me with hard, dry and crunchy hair after the very first use, I am automatically done.

Unless it makes my hair worse in some way, I guess I tend to use it til it's gone. I don't really know at this point how to find products that make my hair better.

I can't use a product continuously that gives bad results, I feel like it's doing more damage than helping it. I usually give a product two trials. The second use is to see if I change any other variables will the outcome be different. If not. I give it away or trash it.

It really depends on the product and its usage. Generally I try it a few times before tossing it.

Usually around three attempts straight, if it does not work I may try to tweek it with other things-still not working then into another's hands or the dead file.

Back