How long do you think natural hair blogs will survive?

LovelyNaps26

I was reading a natural hair blog today and I started to think that some of the "stories" seem so...I dunno. It's like writers are coming up with random stuff because, perhaps they've run out of things to say. It made me wonder how long will the natural hair blogosphere be active? The market already seems a bit saturated so I wonder if in ten, even five years from now those blogs will be active and if they are will they have any new information. I mean there are just so many times you can discuss how black men view natural hair, the best technique for a braid out or review products. I predict that some of these sites will begin to market their own product lines because while women may tire or reading the same ole same ole, they will continue buying a product if it works. I mean if it has worked for popular youtubers it can work for them.

ETA: I'm not going to name the blog because I like that blogger. If you run a blog what are your expectations/views on this?

ebsalita

On one hand, I see what you're saying OP, about there only being so many times you can go over the same subject, however there is always something new to discuss, new products, new technologies, and I also think that there's always room for a new voice or perspective.

Natural hair blogging will continue as long as people are interested in natural hair, IMO...

Junebug D

All of it is old news and played out and done-to-death IMO, yet its all still being published like it's new information, so... :look:

Good bloggers will survive. :yep:

PPGbubbles

I think blogs will die overtime.

but communities like LHCF that discuss more than hair will be around for a long time :yep:

Prudent1

On one hand, I see what you're saying OP, about there only being so many times you can go over the same subject, however there is always something new to discuss, new products, new technologies, and I also think that there's always room for a new voice or perspective.

Natural hair blogging will continue as long as people are interested in natural hair, IMO...
IMO, this^^^. I view it like any other form of business. It comes down to supply and demand. Even though for us (the enlightened) that info is old news, we are still very much the minority as representatives of AA women as a whole. For them, it's newly discovered info or as of yet undiscovered info. I remember the beginning of my HHJ. Sometimes other posters would say things like they were tired of newbies and their questions, concerns, and general unfamiliarity w/ the search capabilities of the forum etc. For us it was all new. The PJism, the hope that our hair could thrive, all of it. Now at the ripe ol 2 yr mark I see both sides:look:. The blogs, I think, will survive and they will continue to provide a means for many who posess chutzpah to launch businesses, become mentors, and also for those inclined to give back in a myriad of ways they never dreamed of. So long as they are ppl of integrity.:yep:

Melody.Monroe

IMO, this^^^. I view it like any other form of business. It comes down to supply and demand. Even though for us (the enlightened) that info is old news, we are still very much the minority as representatives of AA women as a whole. For them, it's newly discovered info or as of yet undiscovered info. I remember the beginning of my HHJ. Sometimes other posters would say things like they were tired of newbies and their questions, concerns, and general unfamiliarity w/ the search capabilities of the forum etc. For us it was all new. The PJism, the hope that our hair could thrive, all of it. Now at the ripe ol 2 yr mark I see both sides:look:. The blogs, I think, will survive and they will continue to provide a means for many who posess chutzpah to launch businesses, become mentors, and also for those inclined to give back in a myriad of ways they never dreamed of. So long as they are ppl of integrity.:yep:

ITA!! 100%

diadall

I hope they are around as long as people still need them. I too am sometimes skeptical of some of the "you won't believe happened to me and my natural hair" stories.

LovelyNaps26

i sometimes wonder why some of the super popular ones haven't developed spin off product lines like youtubers. kimmaytube had her little channel, yet with a fancy camera and great editing she was able to parlay her channel into an online store and soon a hair care line. I mean she quit her well paying day job in graphics to sell hair stuff not just for fun but because she could make bank.

CurlyNikki, probably has a larger audience and comes off as sweet and personable to boot. she's been on TV and errythang. She made just as much money on the blog last year as she did as a psychotherapist (from NY Times article) so i'm surprised she hasn't created a spin off enterprise, like a product line of some sort. no offense to other up and coming mixtresses, kimmaytube included, but i think she could blow them out the water or at least offer stiff competition. then again, there are just so many hours in the day and she has a family so...yeah.

Prudent1

i sometimes wonder why some of the super popular ones haven't developed spin off product lines like youtubers. kimmaytube had her little channel, yet with a fancy camera and great editing she was able to parlay her channel into an online store and soon a hair care line. I mean she quit her well paying day job in graphics to sell hair stuff not just for fun but because she could make bank.

CurlyNikki, probably has a larger audience and comes off as sweet and personable to boot. she's been on TV and errythang. She made just as much money on the blog last year as she did as a psychotherapist (from NY Times article) so i'm surprised she hasn't created a spin off enterprise, like a product line of some sort. no offense to other up and coming mixtresses, kimmaytube included, but i think she could blow them out the water or at least offer stiff competition. then again, there are just so many hours in the day and she has a family so...yeah.
@LovelyNaps26,
Good questions:yep:. IMHO, that could be a multitude of answers. Some ppl do not want the responsibilities of running a business. Some aren't capable of doing so and will find out the hard way:look:. Some are successful (success is so subjective) and become content so they die off. Some fail to continue to expand their boundaries and become irrelevant. The possibilities and combos go on and on.Some ppl just do it b/c they enjoy helping others at that level (cause $$ will allow you to help even more if that's the type of person you are). It is always easier to talk about it but much more challenging to be about it. Look at it this way, why hasn't LL launched his own label as long as he's been in the business? Why has Puff been successful and he is virtually talentless (now he's got business acumen clearly but I mean as an entertainer)? How about Master P? I'm still cringing "Make 'em say Uhh Nah nah nah nah" C'mon son:rolleyes:. Lot's of ppl have the same abilities, skills, talents but will never fully develop them b/c well, we're human:spinning:. Those that do will have various bullseyes on their backs cause haters gon hate and run the risk of self-destruction from the many temptations success brings as well. JMHO.

ETA: This one is for free(back OT abt blogs surviving and all) -Even though many ppl are convinced Capitalism is to blame for all of the ails of the world, the truth is most successful businesses are improvements or new twists on existing ideas not brand new ideas. If you have the foresight to improve something and make someone else's plight in life easier ppl will willingly pay you for your efforts. What you do with the $$ is up to you.

Last edited:

sherrimberri

I don't think the natural blogs have reached their peak. I just started my hair journey this year in march. I stumbled across this forum and a couple blogs and have been addicted ever since. My friends think I'm crazy and when I tell them about this site they have never heard of it or a hair journey. I think everyday many women get tired of of their stylists and decide to take matters into their own hands. As long as this happens there will always be a market for hair blogs.

ellebelle88

OP, can you be a bit more specific when you say that the blogs have "random" stuff? I haven't really noticed anything random on my favorite natural haircare blogs but maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Afrobuttafly

There will always be new products, techniques and new people learning about natural hair and going natural. So I think the natural hair blogosphere will exist as a whole, for as long as natural hair exists. Now certain blogs individually may fizzle...but I see no reason why the entire community of blogs would just die.

hothair

As long as people are interested in what they're saying they'll be around, depending on trends they may be more or less at times but it also depends on how flexible the blogger is in keeping up with the times ie finding natural alternatives to current hair care and style trends

nzeee

well, first i'll say who knows what will survive new technology. 5-10 years out is a long time on the interwebs.

that being said tho i agree w/ most everyone else in that only a small portion of the potential market/readership has been tapped and as more and more black women get hip to hair care the blogs will remain an important source of information and inspiration.

and while the market is not saturated, it will definitely take more than just the same rehashed info to really make a go of it (and by that i mean amass a large audience). just like on youTube, it's no longer enough to have hair growing out of your scalp; you have to be cute, articulate, and present a slicker image (modern looking layout that's easy to use). there's a lot more competition now so the expectations are higher.

Last edited:

LovelyNaps26

OP, can you be a bit more specific when you say that the blogs have "random" stuff? I haven't really noticed anything random on my favorite natural haircare blogs but maybe I haven't been paying attention.

stuff like, does your hair fit your mood? do people define you by your curls? did your fashion sense change when you went natural?

i guess stuff like that is interesting and these are the kind of questions i expect women to post on this forum. often, i'll see a blog article and it's like we discussed that on lhcf last week.

but not everyone is connected so i'm sure it's novel to some. i just wonder how many things you can write about natural hair.

naturalmanenyc

As more and more women become natural, they will look for information on the blogs & youtube. However, for longer term naturals, I do not think they look at hair blogs or youtube for hair ideas. I personally have unsubscribed to a lot of youtubers that I once watched. My hair is at a length that I like and although I am still trying to find the right product combo to get the perfect twist out, I'm kind of over it.

Once natural hair is the norm, if it ever becomes the norm, I think the hair blogs will die down. If the bloggers talk about something more than hair, fashion, makeup, spirituality, then maybe they will last.

BostonMaria

The bloggers serve a purpose. I WISH there were bloggers back in the early 00's when I needed help transitioning. It would've made my life easier. Especially when I had so many questions but nobody to talk to.

Naturals are still the "minority" and there's still a huge untapped market. As more and more women decide to go natural they will head to YT and blogs for help. We'll see the same old recycled topics, but to the new transitioners it'll be all new content. I personally don't mind the recycled topics.

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF