how long do you wait after relaxing....

Golong

to wash your hair. I always been scared to "wash out the perm" or I heard things like wait 2 weeks for it to "set". Do you believe this too? Can you wash out a relaxer? and how long do you wait to wash your hair after relaxing?

KiniKakes

Golong said:
to wash your hair. I always been scared to "wash out the perm" or I heard things like wait 2 weeks for it to "set". Do you believe this too? Can you wash out a relaxer? and how long do you wait to wash your hair after relaxing?

As soon as i want. :) May be a few days.... may be a full week. My hair looks WAY better after i wash it.... more body/fullness.

No, you cant wash out the relaxer. That's not possible. However, i had "heard" that too, before the boards. ;)

bellesocialite

I wash my hair sometimes about 3 days after with a clarifying 'poo to remove any traces of the relaxer the neutralizer missed. I always smell faint traces of relaxer.he majority of the times, I use the same wash schedule. I used to hear that you could wash or sweat out a relaxer. I call bs. It can't be done. I would hold of at least a week to do a heavy protein treatment though I have read on the boards that a heavy protein will cause the hair to revert.

MizAvalon

I just wash it whenever I would normally wash my hair anyway. Usually a week, sometimes two if I have cornrows in.

I always do a clarifying shampoo for the first wash after a relaxer to get any extra gunk out.

divya

Well, I was texturizing and usually wore the wash and go. So I would wash the next day. Never paid attention to what happened because of it though...

Mom23

I ususally wait about 3 days and then I deep condition with some type of protein. :)

I wash whenever I feel like it. Usually a few days after. My old hairdresser use to say to wash at least a week after a relaxer because sometimes there are still small traces of the relaxer in your hair. I don't know about that, but I do know that you cannot wash out a relaxer.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
You can't wash out a relaxer but I have heard that you can cause some reversion from washing too soon. I always used to wait a week.

Sha76

I usually wait a day and then clarify.. My stylist usually uses a lot of stuff that contains cones.

prettypuff1

Golong said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: . Its a chemical treatment... there are reactions going on... there is no way you can wash out the perm....

CAPlush

I do not believe you can wash out the relaxer. You should fully neutralize your hair after your relaxer, the relaxer should not be "working" after you neutralize your hair. I personally think the problem comes in where people are battling dryness, which makes the roots feel coarse again because it may not have been relaxed bone straight. You should not have this problem if you use moisturizing products until your hair gets over the trauma from the chemical. I have been washing my hair a day or two after a relaxer. When I went to the salon and my hair did not feel right afterwards, I washed again the same day, you do not have to wait.

hottopic

balisi said:
You cannot wash out a relaxer. The "two week" rule sounds like old school advice.

I was thinking the same thing, but I looked at the join date (newbie)..... I use to think this way too. :) But there is no such thing. Wash whenever. I wash 3 days or 4 days post perm.

myco

It depends but it's usually 3 days later. I have left the salon before and went straight home to wash my hair.