How long do you wait......

CheerBear

I CO washed the next day after relaxing my hair...I dont think it was too bad, but then again it isnt the same as washing it either...why ARENT you sposed to "wet" the hair after relaxing..it can't be reversion, I thought was the hair was chemically straightened, it can't be changed without more chemicals

Armyqt

I've changed my mind. I'm washing this evening. My hair needs some moisture and my scalp is starting to get itchy
. My hair and scalp are SCREAMING for water. Thanks for all the responses.

nita4

I have washed it the very next day because like you I am accustomed to water. At the longest 3 days.

Ebony

i use neutralizing shampoo a few times immediately after relaxing, then i wash & condition with my products of choice. depending, i don't think twice about washing the next day. i've NEVER had a problem in all these years. I didn't even know this could be a problem for some.

AngelaP

[ QUOTE ]
Nyambura said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I wash my hair the next day after relaxing most times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

As for protein conditioners reverting chemically relaxed hair, I don't think that's possible.

Here's why: the bonds of the hair can be classified as sulfur bonds, hydrogen bonds, or disulfide bonds, peptide bonds and chemical bonds. These bonds determine, among other things, the hair's structure, and texture(coiled/curly/wavy/straight). Without chemical processing, these bonds help the coiled/curly hair hold its coils/curls naturally.

The cortex is the second layer of the hair strand and this is where the bonds are located...and where relaxers irreversibly straighten the hair's coil/curl/wave pattern. The relaxer achieves this end by breaking down (or "destroying") these bonds, permanently. Remember hair after it's grown out of the scalp is dead. It has no way to repair itself. Once the chemical tears down all of the hair's natural bonds, there is no possible way for the hair to return to the structure or texture it had before the relaxer.

By contrast, conditioners are temporary. Some say conditioners last only as long as the next shampoo, some say no longer than five days, etc. - regardless of the duration, conditioners are temporary fixes and can never permanently repair damaged hair (because that's what our relaxed hair is, to varying extents). And an impermanent treatment like conditioner (yes, including ApHogee stinky treatment) cannot reverse a permanent alteration like a chemical process, e.g., relaxer.

That said, I have washed my hair the day after a touchup to find it curlier than it looked when I left the salon, but it wasn't due to reversion by any protein conditioner I used...it was due to the fact that my hair was underprocessed.

Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question. When I used the protein on my hair, it was BONE STRAIGHT before I washed it. So even though, it was bone straight before I washed it, it was still underprocessed?

That's never happened to me before and I've been going to the same person for over 10 years and never had problems with washing my hair after the relaxer and having it look like I had 4-6 weeks of new growth. The only thing that was different was the protein.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
AngelaP said:
I have a question. When I used the protein on my hair, it was BONE STRAIGHT before I washed it. So even though, it was bone straight before I washed it, it was still underprocessed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get a rollerset/blowout after it was relaxed?? If so, that could have made the roots seem like they were bone straight, then when you washed it, it went to it's regular state...

AngelaP

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
AngelaP said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get a rollerset/blowout after it was relaxed?? If so, that could have made the roots seem like they were bone straight, then when you washed it, it went to it's regular state...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he just wrapped it as usual. If it was underprocessed, I should have been able to get my money back!

GoingBack

I wait about a week after I get a relaxer to wash. I will be 10 weeks post relaxer this coming Friday and will get a relaxer the same day. So I will do my next wash on Friday of next week.

Honeychild11

I usually wait about 3 days; it seems as if my hair has more life post relaxer after washing it..Does anyone feel the same way?

ThickNBeautiful

[ QUOTE ]
Honeychild11 said:
I usually wait about 3 days; it seems as if my hair has more life post relaxer after washing it..Does anyone feel the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My hair turns out lifeless right after my relaxer, but the next wash my results are great!

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
ThickNBeautiful said:
[ QUOTE ]
Honeychild11 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. My hair turns out lifeless right after my relaxer, but the next wash my results are great!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto... but I have to add that ever since I've been taking my supplements, it seems like my hair has more body after my touchups!! It used to be really flat at the roots...
I think the B5 really works!!!

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
AngelaP said:

That's never happened to me before and I've been going to the same person for over 10 years and never had problems with washing my hair after the relaxer and having it look like I had 4-6 weeks of new growth. The only thing that was different was the protein.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Angela

Sorry it took me this long to see the post. Outside life has taken over and I can't get back to the Board as often as I'd like.

Underprocessed hair, even virgin hair, can be styled to look bone straight. Since reading up on hair care and chatting with the knowledgeable long hairs on this and other hair care boards, I definitely don't want my hair to look bone straight after washing it.
That would be a sign that my hair was overprocessed. So I still expect a little texture post-wash. My hair has definitely thickened out, grown healthier, and grown longer this way.

So maybe your stylist has done the same for your hair: relaxed it enough to get a straight look, if desired, but not so straight that it hangs without even a bit of wave no matter what. But I'm just guessing. You know your hair better than anyone else.

Here's another way of looking at the permanent relaxer-reversion thing: if protein conditioners had the power to permanently alter the hair, to the point of reverting the effects from the most vicious chemicals we can put on our hair (chemical relaxers), then we wouldn't need to condition our hair on a weekly basis. As far as I know, all conditioning effects are temporary. That's why you always read/hear that the only way to "fix" seriously damaged hair is by cutting it off. Hope that makes sense.

UmSumayyah

I dunno, I had STRAIGHT hair (straighter than I liked) after my JCP relaxer in November. After my hair was towel-dried I put it in a ponytail, put on my scarf and went home. No rollersetting, no blowdrying. No setting the ponytail on a large roller to make it dry straight. I stayed straight after my next wash, and was straight UNTIL I did a Hennalucent treatment, which has protein. Then it waved right up and STAYED wavy.

jainygirl

3-4 days. I usually like to go ahead and do it the 4th day. I think it just depends though
i waited 6 days this last time though -- (just laziness creeping in
) but yeah on the 4th day i'm usually ready to wash. But only because after the first wash my hair usually has a teeny amount of new growth in it to give my hair some "lift" again. I think after my touchups that my hair is kinda lifeless and blowing in the wind. The blowing in the wind part i like....it's the lifeless thing i cant stand
-- jainygirl