How long without trimming??

How long have you gone without trimming?

• 0-3 months

Votes: 65 15.8%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 139 33.8%
  • 6-9 months

Votes: 76 18.5%
  • 9-12 months

Votes: 131 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RabiaElaine

I just wanted to check and see what you ladies think about trimming once the hair is healthy. I'm thinking about cutting out trimming for a while and seeing how long I can go without one, without causing any problems for myself, and to see how long I can get my hair.

What's the longest that any of you have gone without trimming? Results? What methods do you use for going long stretches without trimming?

Last edited:
L

lkg4healthyhair

10-12 months...I only trim when I think I need it.....the hair should still grow regardless.

MissM

My hair grows so slow I can't trim that often. Currently twice a year does me good. I may switch to once a year.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
3-6 right now since I'm transitioning. I used to wait longer than that when I relaxed.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I have gone 10 months with no adverse affects. Most people trim often to keep that neat even look. If you are going for length and neat and even later you should go longer without trimming. Especially if your hair is healthy!

Dubois007

Can the fact that you don't trim very often make your ends thinner? I did a experience and I went 7 months without a trim and now ends are thin. I feel like cutting all of it but I'll be sacrifying a lot of length, I don't have split ends, it's just that I fell like my ends are weaker then the rest of my hair.

Jewell

I won't trim again until I reach my goal...I might take an inch off then or less-if it needs it. I was trimming at least every 2 mos, so my ends are in pretty good shape.

taraglam2

I was going to a scissor happy stylist---she trimmed--but I called it cut---my hair every month. Now I am taking a break. I am the only one that does my hair now and I have decided---no scissors till October 05.

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
I was growing out my layers and getting rid of some of my ends that are very brittle due to the no lye relaxer I used to use, so I'm cutting my hair every 4 months.

RabiaElaine

Dubois007 said:
Can the fact that you don't trim very often make your ends thinner? I did a experience and I went 7 months without a trim and now ends are thin. I feel like cutting all of it but I'll be sacrifying a lot of length, I don't have split ends, it's just that I fell like my ends are weaker then the rest of my hair.

I guess it depends on how you wear your hair. Your ends may not thin as much if you wear your hair protective styles or styles that don't stress your ends.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I think i'm going to trim every 4 months.

Prior to transitioning, it used to be at every perm (7 weeks)

x

Mitre

I have not trim since 5 months 2 weeks ago. My end do not look split or thin therefore I will go another 5 months. However, I do the baggie technique 24/7

RabiaElaine

Is anyone able to go for a long time without trimming while wearing their hair out? Or do you have to protective style the whole time to make it months or even a year without trimming?

Babygurl

I havent had a trim since October 2003, so Im currently aiming for 2 years (7 months to go!) I wear buns 99% of the time, so that could be the reason my ends are still really healthy.

SandySea

It has been about six months since my last trim. I'm thinking about dusting this weekend and getting a trim in September (one year mark). My ends aren't perfect, but I'm still recovering from previous damage. Even my stylist told me to just trim the last inch off slowly. Right now I'm all about gaining length, as long as my ends don't get down right raggedy. I've also decided to leave my hair alone (excessive styling) so that I can continue to stretch my trims.

lovelymissyoli

Until June of last year, I'd never trimmed my hair before...ever! I had my hair cut into a style twice about 7 years ago, and that's it. I didn't know anything about trimming hair. And believe me, my hair was a mess...not because I never trimmed it, but because I didn't know how to care for it. I believe that your hair is going to grow regardless, however, you may experience breakage and the sort. Since I've had my hair trimmed this past June, cut it into layers in November, and trimmed again in January, its sort of been rountine for me to get my hair trimmed every 2 months because that's usually the time frame for me to get press & curl's. I can vouch for trims because they keep my hair and ends looking and feeling healthy and full! :) HTH.

I just went to the salon this weekend for a touch-up and a much needed trim. This was my first real trim since January. Since then I'd been getting my friend to dust my ends. I did gain some length because of this, but my ends started looking like they needed a bit more taken off. I was not going to become one of those who forsake healthy ends for length. Even though I always wear protective styles and never comb, those ends were looking pretty busted up and I decided there was no way around it. They had to come off. My stylist didn't take that much off either. Just enough. And I feel so much better for it. :lol: I just don't think I'm one of those people who can go months and months on end without a regular trim.

MizAvalon

When I was natural several years ago I probably went 4 or 5 years without trimming. Last year I only trimmed twice. This year since I'm doing the baggie method, I'm going to try and go for an entire year, maybe longer.