How many ladies in Germany

Sho_iz_pretty

the reason why I ask is because I grew up there, this is my 4th year is the states, and it still feels weird!:perplexed

I'm talking about Ramstien, wiesbaden, mannheim, H-twom:yep:

anybody out there? even if not from places mentioned above.

or is there anyone else who grew up in germany?

Teja

hallo ich komme aus hannover!;) I am in germany for the moment but I will be moving to the states or the caribbean pretty soon!

Sho_iz_pretty

Ich bin sehr gut, und Sie?, never been to hannover, I know the euro is raping the dollar right now, but I still want to move back, (all that COLA)

Platinum

My dad was in the army so I lived in Germany when I was younger. I lived in Schweinfurt, Nuremburg, and Vilseck (graduated high school there). Girl, I loved the food! :lick: I still miss Germany sometimes.

Sho_iz_pretty

vilseck huh? around what year(s)? I first moved to germany in '93 then back to the CHI in 95, then back to germany in '98, until 2004

Platinum

:sekret: '91-92. Vilseck was a single woman's dream. :look: So many sexy soldiers and so little competition.

Alessandra06

I grew up in Germany (in a small place called Jebenhausen, close to Stuttgart), but my mother married an American, and we moved to the states 7 years ago. I'm so glad you started this threat, I had no idea there where other Germans/people who live in Germany around on this board. =) Vielen Dank!

Sho_iz_pretty

Girl german is so easy, I can actually read and write it better than speak it. oh and to Alessandra, Bitte sehr! stuggart has that nice louis V store.
and to Platinum, I bet it was a single womans dream, all the way out in the boonies! girl that is alot of places in germany, esp B4 the war, one guy was mad about mannheim, said it was a sausage fest.

Platinum

I don't remember that much of the German language anymore.:sad: I didn't have anyone to communicate with once I came back to the states. I know the hair stylists can make a "killing" there.

I think Hair Hustla still lives in Germany. I haven't "seen" her on the boards in a while though.:ohwell:

Alessandra06

Girl german is so easy, I can actually read and write it better than speak it. oh and to Alessandra, Bitte sehr! stuggart has that nice louis V store.
and to Platinum, I bet it was a single womans dream, all the way out in the boonies! girl that is alot of places in germany, esp B4 the war, one guy was mad about mannheim, said it was a sausage fest.

Yep :yep:. German grammar can be a little confusing at first, but vocabulary is no big deal. I actually had way more difficulty learning english when I first came to America...

Alessandra06

I don't remember that much of the German language anymore.:sad: I didn't have anyone to communicate with once I came back to the states. I know the hair stylists can make a "killing" there.

I think Hair Hustla still lives in Germany. I haven't "seen" her on the boards in a while though.:ohwell:

Yeah they can, and my mother almost killed one of them in return lol. When she first start dating my step-father, who is a retired army sergeant, he told her about a salon on base that could probably deal better with my "type of hair".

Not caring much either way (I was 7 and hair was the last thing on my mind), I went along with him one weekend where he dropped me off at the small salon where he and the stylist discussed what she was going to do to my hair (well at least I think that's what they were discussing the way she was pulling and tugging at my hair, but IDK I didn't speak english back then).

After he left, she headed straight for a huge tub of relaxer and began explaining what she was doing after she saw my expression which was universal for: "Lady, I know you're not planning on putting that stinky stuff on my head!" But she did it anyway, and since I didn't want to be disrespectful, and figured that as a stylist she must know what she's doing, I just kept my mouth closed until she was finished. :ohwell:

At this point the story becomes a blur...all I remember is my mother cursing out my step-father in two languages, throwing random household objects at him, and him driving us all the way back to Stuttgart so that my mother could give the stylist a piece of her mind too, in broken english nonetheless. lol

Needless to say, a relaxer (although we really had no idea what that was back then, we just knew that my hair wouldn't curl anymore) was not what my mother had in mind, and so my first hair horror story came to be. However, looking back at it now, I have to say that was the best damn relaxer I ever had, no matter what we tried or how often we washed it, my hair stayed bone-straight. :spinning:

yea, you sure can, probably both alessandra and I

Definitely. I would love to help :grin:

ToyToy

Bin zwar nicht aus Deutschland, aber aus Wien, Oesterreich. Hallo!!!!
I've been living in London for 11 years, but was born and raised in Vienna :).

Sho_iz_pretty

well hallo back!

alessandra you are funny, I bet that was the best perm you had, did you start to like it after a while? did you find out you could curl it other ways?

ellebelle88

Yeah they can, and my mother almost killed one of them in return lol. When she first start dating my step-father, who is a retired army sergeant, he told her about a salon on base that could probably deal better with my "type of hair".

Not caring much either way (I was 7 and hair was the last thing on my mind), I went along with him one weekend where he dropped me off at the small salon where he and the stylist discussed what she was going to do to my hair (well at least I think that's what they were discussing the way she was pulling and tugging at my hair, but IDK I didn't speak english back then).

After he left, she headed straight for a huge tub of relaxer and began explaining what she was doing after she saw my expression which was universal for: "Lady, I know you're not planning on putting that stinky stuff on my head!" But she did it anyway, and since I didn't want to be disrespectful, and figured that as a stylist she must know what she's doing, I just kept my mouth closed until she was finished. :ohwell:

At this point the story becomes a blur...all I remember is my mother cursing out my step-father in two languages, throwing random household objects at him, and him driving us all the way back to Stuttgart so that my mother could give the stylist a piece of her mind too, in broken english nonetheless. lol

Needless to say, a relaxer (although we really had no idea what that was back then, we just knew that my hair wouldn't curl anymore) was not what my mother had in mind, and so my first hair horror story came to be. However, looking back at it now, I have to say that was the best damn relaxer I ever had, no matter what we tried or how often we washed it, my hair stayed bone-straight. :spinning:

Definitely. I would love to help :grin:

Awww...I can't believe you were given a relaxer without knowing about it. I'm sorry to hear that. I know that had to be a horrible experience. Can I ask you -- Do you think getting a relaxer did any damage to your hair in the long run? And did you keep getting one or did you let it grow out after that first time?

VinDieselsWifey

my parents were in the Army and i was born there. i moved to states as a baby then went back to Germany when i was 8 until i was 11. i lived in Bad Kreuznach. my uncle lived in Mannheim. when i moved back to the states at age 11 i DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL!!! but i got used to it.

i miss the food over there. :lick:

Alessandra06

well hallo back!

alessandra you are funny, I bet that was the best perm you had, did you start to like it after a while? did you find out you could curl it other ways?

You know what, I actually liked it from the start...I was just scared to say anything, not wanting to suffer the same fate like my stepdad and the hair stylist. lol We tried all kinds of things to get it to curl again, from some "miracle" curl shampoo that supposedly turns straight hair into curly hair....mmm yeah that didn't work too well, the only "miracle" was that we were able to detangle my hair again after that mess left my hair knotted up and completly stripped. :antlers:

My grandmother, who was the queen of rollersets, suggested that she could set my hair on her rollers, but at age 7 I just wasn't into sitting under a dryer for hours (plus like I already said I secretly *loved* my straight hair). Instead she would just braid my hair in about 6 or 8 sections before I went to bed, and then unravel it before I left for school, essentially a braid-out.

How did you take care of your hair over in Germany, any good stylists? Or just DIY-ing it?

Awww...I can't believe you were given a relaxer without knowing about it. I'm sorry to hear that. I know that had to be a horrible experience. Can I ask you -- Do you think getting a relaxer did any damage to your hair in the long run? And did you keep getting one or did you let it grow out after that first time?

I think the relaxer did damage my hair, because I remember my mother taking me to the local hair salon after that and asking the lady there if she could tell exactly what was done to my hair. The stylist there didn't know either (please forgive our ignorance lol, I grew up in a *tiny* village with a grand total of 2 black people besides myself, none of whom wore a relaxer) all she said was that it looked like someone put a very harsh chemical on my hair (no duh) that was damaging my ends. In the long run I don't think it hurt though, after my natural hair started growing back in it looked and felt the same as always. :yep:

And no I didn't get another relaxer after that since a.) we still didn't know what the heck a relaxer was and b.) my mother would've hit the roof. I didn't get another relaxer until after we moved to America and my stepsister, tired of having to braid my hair every week, slapped some Motions in my head. :rolleyes:

my parents were in the Army and i was born there. i moved to states as a baby then went back to Germany when i was 8 until i was 11. i lived in Bad Kreuznach. my uncle lived in Mannheim. when i moved back to the states at age 11 i DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL!!! but i got used to it.

i miss the food over there. :lick:

Don't even start on the food. :lachen:I mean what does a girl have to do for a decent German meal around here? Where I live the closest german store is about an hour away, and their prices are ridiculous. When I went back to Germany in 2005, I basically spend 2 weeks straight just eating. :cheers:

luckiestdestiny

the reason why I ask is because I grew up there, this is my 4th year is the states, and it still feels weird!:perplexed

I'm talking about Ramstien, wiesbaden, mannheim, H-twom:yep:

anybody out there? even if not from places mentioned above.

or is there anyone else who grew up in germany?
Olsterholz Shambeck, near Bremahaven

I've been back since my teens, but spent my childhood there. Where you grow up becomes a part of who you are. I still eat mayo on my fries much to the disgust of my friends. Also, when I lived in L.A my landlord's were German and we got along so well. They were bluntly honest and friendly just like me. My blunt honesty still shocks people here, but I noticed I get along very well with european people better...

Sho_iz_pretty

Europeans are bluntly honest, and very nice, always bringing you fresh food that they've grown!:grin: I remember our landlord brought us some fresh cows milk, it does not even taste the same as regular milk, taste like heavenly cream:lick:

VinDieselsWifey

I know even the pommes taste better over there, Vin D's wifey you used to live in BK, they closed it down, I think it was 2000

i saw that when i went online looking to see if it was still open. i was kinda sad. i have always wanted to go back to visit. i still have friends over there that i haven't seen since i was a kid. one of my classmates from 5th grade found me on myspace though. i was so shocked! he remembered my name and everything. he said he found an old love letter i had written him! :lachen:

Sho_iz_pretty

i saw that when i went online looking to see if it was still open. i was kinda sad. i have always wanted to go back to visit. i still have friends over there that i haven't seen since i was a kid. one of my classmates from 5th grade found me on myspace though. i was so shocked! he remembered my name and everything. he said he found an old love letter i had written him! :lachen:

lol thats funny, I went to wiesbaden for 5th and WAMS (wiesbaden american middle) for 6th and the first part of 7th. yea I went to mannheim college with a few peeps from BK all were cool, except for one . . .:look:

luckiestdestiny

Europeans are bluntly honest, and very nice, always bringing you fresh food that they've grown!:grin: I remember our landlord brought us some fresh cows milk, it does not even taste the same as regular milk, taste like heavenly cream:lick:

That's why I have problems here. People aren't as bluntly honest.:perplexed How are you doing? Fine. Not the way I answer. I actually answer the question! But then if it's good, it's okay, but if it's not so good people are confused by what to do!:lachen: "How are you doing?" "Not great,I just had the suckiest day" (akward silence:nono:). This never happens when I meet people from Europe, we just express how we really feel about things, good or bad. When I met my ex landlords in cali who are straight from Germany, we had a good ole' time and there was never any confusion: mix up in what I was trying to say. They are blunt, I am bluntly honest too.

As for the food I know. Can I say I've NEVER been able to find dark cherries that taste like they did in Germay. NEVER. And I've been searching. And things were so fresh, and they grew it. I hear ya! Over here it's a little backward...pay more for fresh food. Over there they charged more for fast food. If you want to be healthy, you go to wholefoods and pay an arm and a leg here! What's up with that? It makes me mad because you have to sacrifice other things just to eat healthy if you're not rich. When it should not be that way!

Last edited:

Sho_iz_pretty

That's why I have problems here. People aren't as bluntly honest.:perplexed How are you doing? Fine. Not the way I answer. I actually answer the question! But then if it's good, it's okay, but if it's not so good people are confused by what to do!:lachen: "How are you doing?" "Not great,I just had the suckiest day" (akward silence:nono:). This never happens when I meet people from Europe, we just express how we really feel about things, good or bad. When I met my ex landlords in cali who are straight from Germany, we had a good ole' time and there was never any confusion: mix up in what I was trying to say. They are blunt, I am bluntly honest too.

As for the food I know. Can I say I've NEVER been able to find dark cherries that taste like they did in Germay. NEVER. And I've been searching. And things were so fresh, and they grew it. I hear ya! Over here it's a little backward...pay more for fresh food. Over there they charged more for fast food. If you want to be healthy, you go to wholefoods and pay an arm and a leg here! What's up with that? It makes me mad because you have to sacrifice other things just to eat healthy if you're not rich. When it should not be that way!

I really want to have my own garden , and at least 2 acres so that I can have a cow! who knows how that might come in handy, esp now a days. . .

Southern Belle

Awww! I lived in Ramstein (well, technically Landstuhl), but I worked on Ramstein. I have been back in the states for 2 years and I HATE it!!! My heart aches for Germany soooo bad! For our anniversary, my husband cooked me some "puree" (mashed potatoes), kraut, and wurst (sausage) like I always ordered from the Hofbrauhaus in downtown K-Town :lick:. I started crying and he felt AWFUL. :sad:

Not to mention my closest girlfriend is still there. I'm trying to talk him into going back when we leave Hawaii but he's like :nono:.

My kids were born there and it took them FOREVER to eat American bread, (they still prefer brochen). I humored them for a while by driving to the European bakery on the other side of the island, but after a couple of months I had to put my foot down and demand they "assimilate, dammit!" :lachen:

Ahhhh, memories......:grin:

Sho_iz_pretty

Awww! I lived in Ramstein (well, technically Landstuhl), but I worked on Ramstein. I have been back in the states for 2 years and I HATE it!!! My heart aches for Germany soooo bad! For our anniversary, my husband cooked me some "puree" (mashed potatoes), kraut, and wurst (sausage) like I always ordered from the Hofbrauhaus in downtown K-Town :lick:. I started crying and he felt AWFUL. :sad:

Not to mention my closest girlfriend is still there. I'm trying to talk him into going back when we leave Hawaii but he's like :nono:.

My kids were born there and it took them FOREVER to eat American bread, (they still prefer brochen). I humored them for a while by driving to the European bakery on the other side of the island, but after a couple of months I had to put my foot down and demand they "assimilate, dammit!" :lachen:

Ahhhh, memories......:grin:
I lived off base landsthul for a while, and went to Ramstein and k-town highschool, may I ask what is your first name? everyone in germany knows me as marcia