How many of yall have checked your iron levels?

AllAboutTheHair

Just curious, I had a hair evaluation, it said that I was deficient in iron and had a lack of sulfur she also said that I probably could benifit from consistent vitamin usage for a while. I was like "I take vitamins, on occassion" and she said "you need to take more"...I thought I had wasted my money, so being a nurse I got the hook up from lab and got my iron level (Hct, Hgb, RBC, etc.) checked. It was low, not enough to need blood, but low...so I have been taking iron about 2 weeks. During my comb out last weekend I shed less hair. Nothing drastic, but definitely not as much. I have been taking an iron supplement. I am telling you all this now just in case I get better growth, that way yall know I ain't blowing smoke :)

harden718

Thanks!!!! I will be picking up some iron supplements tonight.
I went to the doctor on Monday and was told my blood pressure was really low, so he took some blood and I should be getting my results next week.

*Frisky*

Thanks for posting this...I was just wondering if my iron was low and that is why I am experiencing some shedding. Its not bad though but just more than normal.

filthyfresh

No wonder my mother's hair has been growing like weeds! She takes iron for her arthritis (or whatever it is, she's a private person) and her hair hardly breaks at all. Maybe I should look into an iron vitamin because I terribly need it. This breakage is killing me!

KiniKakes

This was good to read.... my iron is generally low. Whenever I try to donate blood, im always just on the border.... and i STAY cold. So i know im probably deficient.

I will definitely pick up some iron supplements, as well as replenish my hair vitamins that ran out two weeks ago, on my next visit to GNC.

Thanks for this.

evie

I have sickle cell and thalasimia trait, which makes me anaemic at times, anyway, my hair started shedding in clumps just recently and i knew my iron level was low so i took the liquid form of iron called Spatone which i mix with water and vit C powder to improve body absorption. My hair stopped shedding almost immediately.
The great thing about this iron supplement is that it does not cause constipation.

Isis

After much shedding several years ago, my doctor did an iron test and told me I was anemic. Simply taking iron stopped the shedding right away. I went to a nutrionist to find out what kind of iron to take since my doctor and most doctors are not trained in nutrition.

Two other brands (besides the one Evie mentioned) nutritionists suggested to me that are fully absorbed by the body, has vitamin C and are not constipating are Floradix and FerroFood. If your iron supplement doesn't have vitamin C in it, it must be taken with vitamin C to be absorbed by the body.

ClassicChic

harden718 said:
Thanks!!!! I will be picking up some iron supplements tonight.
I went to the doctor on Monday and was told my blood pressure was really low, so he took some blood and I should be getting my results next week.

I am anemic therefore I am prescribed to take iron. However, I do not take it like I should. Also, ladies do not run out and buy this. Check with your doctor. Iron is a supplement in which you can get too much of. Also keep this away from kids. Accidental overdose of iron pills is a leading cause of poisoning deaths among young children.

I also have low blood pressure. My doctor attributes this to my size since I am small. At times I crave salt and that is the best thing for low blood pressure.

Nice & Wavy

Ladies, if you notice on my signature, I use the Floridix liquid iron. It can be very expensive. I pay $30.00 for a month's supply. It's very good. It also doesn't make you constipated. I use it because I am an anemic from fibroids. I use it with Vitamin C and zinc which helps the body to absorb the iron better.

Please be careful in taking iron. It can be very toxic if taken inappropriately.

I've been taking iron for a while now but not for the reason of growing my hair longer. I was seriously anemic at one point so I had to start on it. If my hair grows more because of iron pills, well then that's just a plus.

Isis

brownhaired_bonanza said:
I've been taking iron for a while now but not for the reason of growing my hair longer. I was seriously anemic at one point so I had to start on it. If my hair grows more because of iron pills, well then that's just a plus.
I don't think hair grows more because of iron supplements. Iron increases our red blood cells which carry oxygen and nutrients to our scalps. People who are anemic have fewer red blood cells and aren't getting enough nutrients to the hair follicles (and throughout the body). That's why the hair sheds. Iron doesn't grow hair longer.

Ayeshia

Thanks Isis your hair is too beautiful :love:....

I cant do elemental iron supplements alone..Im prone to constipation and those suckers put the icing on the cake :lol: So I just do the frosted mini wheats...90% of iron per serving but the body can only absorb so much at a time so I eat another bowl later on in the day.

Isis said:
I don't think hair grows more because of iron supplements. Iron increases our red blood cells which carry oxygen and nutrients to our scalps. People who are anemic have fewer red blood cells and aren't getting enough nutrients to the hair follicles (and throughout the body). That's why the hair sheds. Iron doesn't grow hair longer.

Good to know.

LaNecia

After reading GN1G thread a few weeks ago about Iron, I purchased some but it's not the FerroFood or other brand mentioned here. I've been taking it with Vitamin C. I have to admit that LITERALLY within days of starting, the shedding that had me ready to cut my hair to a bob stopped dead cold.

I had a Dr's appt today so I was going to request having my levels checked (I've been off the Iron for a few days) but the Dr. was sick (go figure) so I'm scheduled for next week. If it is low, I can get a prescription (FSA reimbursable Baby!!). If not...then I'll just go back to a decent multi so I don't poison myself. :look:

But it DID stop the shedding. I should've taken pictures of the shedding :wallbash:, it was enough to make me scurred. Very scary.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Thanks for starting this thread. Recently, I have noticed I shed hair all the time... not really a lot of shedded hair, but I sometimes feel like it's a lot since my hair is relatively short, but it's also dense. I also have thought that I was anemic because I have times where I can get cold easily or lose energy/feel tired, and my mom and sister are anemic as well. I've never been checked out before.

However, I always here that it's better to get your vitamins from foods. What foods have good source of iron in them???

LaNecia

Poohbear said:
However, I always here that it's better to get your vitamins from foods. What foods have good source of iron in them???

Here's some:

McGillCA said:
http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/information/nutritionalhealth/ironrich/
Iron Rich Foods

Iron is a mineral found in some foods, which is essential for good health and for physical and mental well-being. It has three main roles:
  1. Carrying oxygen around the body. Every cell in the body needs oxygen. There is iron in the haemoglobin of red blood cells, and it carries oxygen from your lungs to wherever it is needed.
  2. Ensuring a healthy immune system. The cells which fight infection and defend the body against foreign organisms depend on adequate stores of iron. So if your iron stores are low your body is more prone to infections.
  3. Making energy. Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from food. So if your iron levels are low then your body may not be able to use all the energy available to it.
Iron is notoriously low in the North American diet, especially in children one to two years old, and in women ages 12 to 50. Surprisingly, it is also low among athletes, who pack their diets so full of carbohydrates that they tend to omit iron-rich foods.
A deficiency of iron makes you tired and apathetic -- a condition known as anemia. Anemia is characterized by low levels of hemoglobin, which cause oxygen starvation in your tissues. Though it is a fairly common condition, don't try self-diagnosing it or prescribing supplements because its symptoms can also indicate other, more serious diseases, such as bleeding ulcers or cancer.
If you think that you may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency or if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to see a doctor or a nurse here at Health Services. (398-6017)

What is the daily recommended iron intake for an adult?
10-18 mg
What are some examples of iron-rich foods?
(Conversions: 250 ml = 1 cup; 15 ml = 1 tablespoon)

DRIED BEANS AND PEAS
Lentils, cooked, drained 250 ml, 3.3 mg
Lima beans, cooked, drained 250 ml, 4.6 mg
Red kidney beans, cooked, drained 250 ml, 4.3 mg
Soya beans 250 ml, 4.3 mg
Split peas 250 ml, 4.5 mg

VEGETABLES
Asparagus, canned, drained 250 ml, 2.5 mg
Green peas 250 ml, 3.0 mg
Peppers, hot, red, dried, powder 15 ml, 2.3 mg
Spinach, canned, drained 250 ml, 5.0 mg
Spinach cooked 250 ml, 4.2 mg
Tomato juice 250 ml, 2.3 mg

FRUITS
Apricots, dried, uncooked 15 ml, 0.9 mg
Peaches, dried, uncooked 250 ml, 10.1 mg
Dates, pitted, cut 250 ml, 5.3 mg
Prune juice 250 ml, 11.0 mg

BREAKFAST CEREALS
All Bran 200 ml, 4.3 mg
Bran Flakes (raisins) 200 ml, 5.0 mg
Corn, puffed (presweetened) 200 ml, 4.2 mg
Farina (cream of wheat) 125 ml, 7.9 mg
Oats, puffed, with or without corn
(e.g. Cheerios) 250 ml, 9.2 mg
Oats, puffed (e.g. Alphabets) 250 ml, 6.2 mg
Rice Krispies 250 ml, 2.3 mg
Wheat flakes (e.g. Pep, Grapenuts) 200 ml, 6.4 mg
Wheat, puffed (e.g. Sugar Crisp) 250 ml, 6.3 mg
Whole wheat (e.g. Shreddies) 250 ml, 6.3 mg

NUTS
Almonds, shelled whole 125 ml, 4.0 mg
Brazil nuts 125 ml, 2.3 mg
Cashews, roasted 125 ml, 2.8 mg

PORK
Ham, lean and fat, roasted, 6 mm thick 2 slices, 2.7 mg
Pork chop, thick, with bone, lean and fat 1 chop, 1.9 mg

BEEF
Corned beef hash with potato 8 oz., 4.6 mg
Corned beef, medium fat 2 slices, 1.9 mg
Ground beef, broiled, medium fat 250 ml, 2.9 mg
Steak, broiled, lean only 1 piece, 3.4 mg

POULTRY
Chicken, white meat 76 g, 1.3 mg
Chicken, dark meat 90 g, 1.5 mg
Turkey 90 g, 1.6 mg

LIVER AND KIDNEY
Beef kidney (8 cm x 6 cm x 8 cm) 3 slices, 11.8 mg
Beef liver, fried 3 oz., 8.0 mg
Calf liver, fried 3 slices, 13.0 mg
Chicken liver, fried 3 medium, 7.7 mg
Pork kidney 3 slices, 7.2 mg
Pork liver 3 slices, 7.2 mg

FISH AND SHELLFISH
Clams, canned, drained 1 can, 5.5 mg
Lake trout, broiled or baked 90 g, 4.5 mg
Sardines, canned in oil 7 medium, 2.5 mg
Scallops 6 pieces, 3.0 mg
Tuna, canned, drained 90 g, 1.7 mg

COMBINED DISHES
Beans, white, dry, canned, with tomato sauce 250 ml, 4.9 mg
Beans, white, dry, canned, with wieners 250 ml, 5.0 mg
Beef pot pie, baked (10 cm) 1 pie, 4.1 mg
Cabbage rolls with meat 2 rolls, 2.1 mg
Chili con carne, with canned beans 250 ml, 4.5 mg
Chili con carne, without beans 250 ml, 3.8 mg
Poultry pot pie (10 cm) 1 pie, 3.0 mg
Spaghetti with meat balls and tomato sauce 250 ml, 3.9 mg

SEEDS
Pumpkin/squash seeds 125 ml, 6.5 mg
Sunflower seeds 125 ml, 4.1 mg

ODDS AND ENDS
All purpose flour 250 ml, 3.2 mg
Brewer’s dry yeast 15 ml, 1.4 mg
Brown’s sugar, packed 250 ml, 7.9 mg
Egg 1 egg, 1.1 mg
Egg noodles 250 ml, 2.7 mg
Instant breakfast with milk 1 pack, 5.0 mg
Molasses, cane, light 15 ml, 0.9 mg
Molasses, cane, blackstrap 250 ml, 3.2 mg
Pasta, enriched 250 ml, 2.4 mg
Split pea soup 250 ml, 1.5 mg

KhandiB

Yeah, I need to get back on my Iron.. I was taking SlowFE when I was pregnant, it didnt stop you up as much but I did have to take it with a glass of OJ everytime, and although I like OJ, I dont like it that much.. LOL

I will try the other kind :)

Thanks for the info guys!!

gn1g

good information Does Iron supplements do anything for your cycle?

Tene that pix makes my flesh crawl.

ms-tyler

Great thread...good information.I just purchased a liquid Iron that has vitamin c in it. I'll see how it works.:)

Spidergul

Great thread. I have been shedding something awful for a few months now. More than the usual. I attributed it to my thyroid condition. I may add the iron to my daily vit intake and see if that helps. I just had my physical back in April. My doctor did not mention low iron just high bad ldl and my need to lose weight-which I already know:( .
Thanks again-all you ladies are a wealth of knowledge!!:yep:

Isis

I felt the need to add this bit of info too, for those of us who must supplement with iron or eat more of it in food.

Some foods block the absorption of iron. These include coffee, tea, egg yolks, milk, fiber and soy protein. Try to avoid these when you're eating food high in iron.
http://familydoctor.org/009.xml

honeycomb719

Ive always been a bad bad shedder. This thread has been enlightening, and I will be at the vitamin store next week for me some liquid vits. I have been taking a multi-vit w/ iron, but I havent noticed any change in my shedding. I dont take them consistent so maybe that the problem:lol:

SherryLove

One tbsp of unsulphured blackstrap molasses per day is a good source of iron as well as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and copper..........

AllAboutTheHair

The iron is helping with the shedding. I have started combing once a week on wash days so I can get a better idea of what's really going on with my hair. It takes a little while for the iron level to reach normal levels and after that all I have to do is maintain.