How Money Buys Happiness

michelle81

I love this entire thread :angel:

Same here. After I did valet at the airport, I literally thought "how long has this been available, and what else is there out in this world that I don't know about".

cocosweet

I guess this explains why I’ve never seen a black owned laundromat.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Black-Owned Laundrymats Making Big Profits Off Your Dirty Laundry

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Darryl and Fylynne Crawford, owners of Kimbark Laundry in Chicago

Currently, there are about 35,000 coin laundries in the United States, generating nearly $5 billion in gross revenue annually. This 70-year old business concept is especially popular in the country's inner cities, but very few laundrymats are owned by African American entrepreneurs.
S&R Laundry Services: Back in 2009, owners Simeon and Ruth Chance (originally from Guyana) came up with the idea for their company when their washing machine broke and they had to use a local laundrymat. Soon after, they launched their very own pick-up and delivery laundry service in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Since then, they've opened their first storefront dry cleaner store.

#2 - Heavenly Washes Laundry Matt: (pictured above) Based in Winter Haven, Florida, CEO Shaterra Jordan came up with the business idea while sleeping in a dream when she was collecting unemployment from the field of her studies, nursing. She stepped out on faith with her 401k in hand and opened her first location in 2013. She opened her second location in 2015.

#3 - Laundry Cafe: Based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, this Black-owned laundrymat is the creative vision of two humble individuals who grew up in the inner city and share the commitment of providing an upscale laundry experience to their customers in underserved communities. They say that this allows them to reinvest in and uplift the communities they serve.

#4 - Kimbark Laundry & Dry Cleaning: In 2007, after selling some South Side apartment buildings they co-owned, Fylynne Crawford and her husband Darryl were shopping for a new business venture in the Chicago, Illinois area. Through a broker, they learned that Kimbark Coin Laundry was for sale, and so they bought it. They have since added a drop-off laundry service, a dry-cleaning service and a pick-up and delivery service.

A valuable Black history lesson

Although very few laundrymats are Black-owned, according to MadameNoire.com, African Americans have always been leaders in the industry. In fact, what is now called "dry cleaning" is actually a process that was patented in 1821 by a Black entrepreneur/tailor from New York City named Thomas Jennings.

Back then, however, it was called "dry scouring". He reportedly was the first Black man to ever receive a patent, and even more, he used his profits to help free slaves and end slavery in the Northeast.

Transformer

I actually considered owning a laundrymate. However, I didn't have the tolerance for the security issues. They are forever being broken into and robbed. You pretty much have to self-insure. Near my job there are THREE within a quarter mile radius.The 24hr ones are subjected to mental ill and homeless folks looking for a place to sleep.

MissNina

Libra Girl
Amazon has 20% off deep cleaning services right now

Yes, girl. I'm buying this on Wednesday! I really want whoever comes to do my laundry, too. IDKY they don't offer that as a service, I'm lowkey pissed about that...I got behind for awhile and now it's like a legit, big garbage bag full of laundry that needs to be done. I don't feel I should have to pay for a wash and fold service AND pay for someone to deep clean.

But what I reallyyyyyy want is a retired black lady to come do everything for me. I truly want to overpay her :look:

luckiestdestiny

Amazon Prime.....although it's $99.00 instead of $40.00. We're in a LTR.
I'm in a phd program so it's less as I can still get the student deal on Amazon Prime but I definitely also am in a LTR with them as well. I never thought I'd be okay with SZA's rachet song with the lyrics, "my man is my man is your man" but let me tell you we will just have to both have AMAZON because I can't live without my amazon prime. :lol: Although I am not just getting covered on the weekend, amazon has to work all the days, he isn't getting any time off :rofl: because I want my prime asap. That's his fault for being such a product whore. If amazon wants to spread his love around, whatever, but amazon needs to make sure to get my items to me when I need them.

This is the only relationship I will accept in this manner :look:

And last I checked, I paid $49 or so for Amazon so I guess he loves me more than you because he didn't charge me 99 dollars :lachen: (since I guess I'm now one of those women I thought I should add that and walk off with a haughty laugh)

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

BTW I'm in full agreement with this article. I always think about time wasters and hate them, I do my best to minimize them because I hate to see my life drain away especially with unfulfilling things. Ideally, as my income rises, I will be able to destroy all time leeches, or most of mine and I will happily do it. I see nothing wrong with outsourcing and will do so with a heavy hand.

Zaynab

Supposed to be once a week or twice a month? Not sure. Our contract does say once a week in the spring and summer and once a month in the winter. I'm just not entirely sure yet if they have started back with once a week. And that was with us negotiating down from $350 twice a month to once a week. They weren't too happy, so I think they sometimes "accidentally" miss a week. Smh.

My lawn isn't even fancy. But it is a lot of grass. Just don't see why some pay $40 or $85 and I'm paying $350. That's a huge difference!

Haha!! I wish! My bill would be way higher. Lol
How many acres do you live on? I recall you have a pretty big house but that still sounds like a rip off :nono:

GeorginaSparks

Im #blessed. I've always had cleaning people after getting with now H. Even when i was a SAHGF :look: they still came to clean while i was in a spare bedroom asleep.

Life changing...the only thing better is a lady who will do it for you at home.
my ladies clean my house, do dishes, do laundry, wash and fold and will pick up/drop off dry cleaners. they will also play with and walk my dog. :lol:
All for $120/month

isioma85

People always pooh-pooh this concept because it seems 'boujie' or lazy. Nah fam. If I don't have to do something and I can pay someone else to do it, I absolutely will.

TaskRabbit was the first way that I used this concept. When we were moving, I needed our bed frame dismantled, shipped over to the new place, and put back together. DH could have figured it out I'm sure, but I wasn't in the mood to have a half built bed and sleep on a mattress for weeks while he did. I know the man I married :look:

Booked a Tasker for $28/hour. He came with power tools and had that thing broken down in 15 minutes, loaded onto his truck, taken to the new place and reassembled within 90 minutes. While I watched TV. Bless up.

I have people come put furniture together, clean my house, and I've ordered Nigerian food catering for the weeks when I have a lot of exams and don't feel like cooking but don't want to eat fast food every single day. My stress level has considerably reduced.

Money really is best used to redirect your time to do things you actually like and enjoy. And you can make more money - but time is limited.

doriannc

My old job had this service called "My Helper." I used that for everything and you only tip them and pay a monthly fee. I had them house sit, walk my dog, get my mail, drop off dry cleaning/laundry, schedule house cleaning and lawn services, grocery pickup, and even get my car washed/detailed or maintenance. Now that I think about it I'm about to cry because we don't have that rural TX. :cry: I love my family, but I miss my single days in the big city.

DH thought I was spoiled for having all that stuff. But it really wasn't too much out of pocket, considering how much time I gained by letting someone else do it. But trust whenever ds is in school and I'm back to working full time again, I will get an assistant. lol

Femmefatal1981

Im #blessed. I've always had cleaning people after getting with now H. Even when i was a SAHGF :look: they still came to clean while i was in a spare bedroom asleep.

my ladies clean my house, do dishes, do laundry, wash and fold and will pick up/drop off dry cleaners. they will also play with and walk my dog. :lol:
All for $120/month
What!! Hook me up!!!!!!!!!

Anacaona

All for $120/month

Love love love these examples of unapologetic black women getting pampered and spoiled, a SAHGF with househelp? I salute you.

I work and make a more than a comfortable salary but feel guilty about delegating chores/tasks. That needs to stop:nono:

atlien11

People always pooh-pooh this concept because it seems 'boujie' or lazy. Nah fam. If I don't have to do something and I can pay someone else to do it, I absolutely will.

TaskRabbit was the first way that I used this concept. When we were moving, I needed our bed frame dismantled, shipped over to the new place, and put back together. DH could have figured it out I'm sure, but I wasn't in the mood to have a half built bed and sleep on a mattress for weeks while he did. I know the man I married :look:

Booked a Tasker for $28/hour. He came with power tools and had that thing broken down in 15 minutes, loaded onto his truck, taken to the new place and reassembled within 90 minutes. While I watched TV. Bless up.

I have people come put furniture together, clean my house, and I've ordered Nigerian food catering for the weeks when I have a lot of exams and don't feel like cooking but don't want to eat fast food every single day. My stress level has considerably reduced.

Money really is best used to redirect your time to do things you actually like and enjoy. And you can make more money - but time is limited.

Yass girl!!

BEAUTYU2U

Yes, girl. I'm buying this on Wednesday! I really want whoever comes to do my laundry, too. IDKY they don't offer that as a service, I'm lowkey pissed about that...I got behind for awhile and now it's like a legit, big garbage bag full of laundry that needs to be done. I don't feel I should have to pay for a wash and fold service AND pay for someone to deep clean.

But what I reallyyyyyy want is a retired black lady to come do everything for me. I truly want to overpay her :look:

I want @Lucie to start a cleaning business so I can be her most faithful client.