How much breakage is acceptable???

Faith

Earlier in September I was getting about 11-13 breaks a day. So I started using Affirm 5 in 1 and AO GPB and for the last 2 weeks it's been down to about 6-7 a day. Is that still too much? How much is too much? Should I use emergencee? Or is that too strong for 6-7 breaks? Maybe Keraphix or something milder like GPB or Intense? I can't figure out when to use which one and what constitutes too much hair breakage. Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Btw, I had breakage while natural too...

Nanyanika

Hi faith, i have some the of the same issues, when natural and texturized, be careful with using the strong protein too frequently, i know i made my problems worse when i did this. some breakage is quite normal, mid strand breakage is more serious though. don't manipulate the hair too much, use a protective styles and keep it moist. Have you thought about trimming the ends?

Faith

Yeah, I have cut off about 2" since August so I know that's not it. I don't have split ends.... so I'm wondering if it's splits that I missed trimming from when my hair was in braids for all those years and they got a chance to travel up and now are breaking...know what I mean?

I think more moisture may help more than protein...hmmmm. I did notice when I use humecto my hair just has INCREDIBLE slip and snaps less....hmmmmm.

Nanyanika

Well Faith, that's the key then, use good moisturising conditioners (keracare humecto), keep the hair moist and protected, the breakage should completely subside soon. if your worried about splits higher up the shaft you could invest in the split ender.

Cowgirl

That doesn't sound like a lot to me, but I'm used to seeing around 30 to 40 a day. Which I know is too much and intend to get some Emergencee as soon as I get home. I would be happy to see only 6 or 7 a day.

VelvetRain

I agree with what is being said. I would continue with moisturizing your hair as much as possible. Too many hardcore proteins often can often make your hair break worse. I only use light proteins each week and leave the heavy duty ones to once a month. I only lose about one or two broken hairs a day. It's the hair shedding that is killing me.

Ginsana

With all that was said, is it acceptable for there to be three to six little pieces of hair in your hand every couple of days or so when styling your hair? I'm guessing that these are coming from the ends of my hair. I'd rather see whole strands come out with the bulb on the end rather than little pieces of hair that are about the length of an eyelash. This is what has been happening to me and I get worried about everything when coming to my hair...so what do you all think? Do I need to trim or something?

itismehmmkay

I don't have an answer, Ginsana....rather I have the same question. I was just wondering this earlier today.

I think my shedding is normal and I wouldn't say that I see much breakage, but is it still okay to see breakage at all?? I want to get out of the mindset that as soon as I see breakage, I need to do some trimming. Lately, I've been feeling this way. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have an answer, Ginsana....rather I have the same question. I was just wondering this earlier today.

I think my shedding is normal and I wouldn't say that I see much breakage, but is it still okay to see breakage at all?? I want to get out of the mindset that as soon as I see breakage, I need to do some trimming. Lately, I've been feeling this way. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So we're in the same boat huh? Okay, well I'll bump to see if anyone can help us...

moneychaser

Quoted: Tracy
If its shedding, 5O to 1OO hairs a day are normal. Breakagewise there is no norm but there is NO SUCH thing as a head of hair with absolutely NO breakage whatsoever. Even hair that is not chemically processed breaks. The idea is the minimize EXCESSIVE breakage. Tons of hairs in your brush, in the comb, on the sink when you style. Sweeping the bathroom after you style. Thats bad breakage.

Hair still breaks even if it's incredibly healthy and you're taking really care of it. If your ends don't LOOK unhealthy leave them alone!

Sometimes we talk about hair here in such absolutes that we assume perfection is possible. Most of the time, it's not. Hair that breaks a little is not necessarily unhealthy. It's just doing what hair does.

If it's not excessive breakage I wouldn't worry. My hair (colored or no) ALWAYS breaks and sheds a little every day. Every single day.

About 10-20 pieces...sometimes shed sometimes broken. All women with all hair types get broken hair...

I don't think you should worry so much....

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/518170/page//fpart/2/vc/1

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/s...true#Post419073

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
Sweeping the bathroom after you style. Thats bad breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If your ends don't LOOK unhealthy leave them alone!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew!

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes we talk about hair here in such absolutes that we assume perfection is possible. Most of the time, it's not. Hair that breaks a little is not necessarily unhealthy. It's just doing what hair does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I think my problem is that I compare my hair to other races. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Yeah, I know...but when your Indian roomate tells you that her stylist couldn't find a single split end in her hair, it kind of makes you want to work at your own hair a bit better. Thanks, Denali, for SNAPPING me back into reality! That was a close one!

Ginsana

[ QUOTE ]
Quoted: Tracy
If its shedding, 5O to 1OO hairs a day are normal. Breakagewise there is no norm but there is NO SUCH thing as a head of hair with absolutely NO breakage whatsoever. Even hair that is not chemically processed breaks. The idea is the minimize EXCESSIVE breakage. Tons of hairs in your brush, in the comb, on the sink when you style. Sweeping the bathroom after you style. Thats bad breakage.

Hair still breaks even if it's incredibly healthy and you're taking really care of it. If your ends don't LOOK unhealthy leave them alone!

If it's not excessive breakage I wouldn't worry. My hair (colored or no) ALWAYS breaks and sheds a little every day. Every single day.

About 10-20 pieces...sometimes shed sometimes broken. All women with all hair types get broken hair...

I don't think you should worry so much....

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/518170/page//fpart/2/vc/1

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/s...true#Post419073

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Denali for those reassuring words...I can stop worrying now.