How Much Breakage Is OK?

pbuckley

I have gone from washing my hair once every two weeks to washing it twice in one week. I've gone from pulling all of my hair out while combing wet to using a Juilberle (?) shower comb and saving a bunch of strands. Recently I have gone from shedding what likes like 1 thousand strands to shedding only a few. But my new thing is I have gone from seeing shedding to seeing some breakage. When I comb my hair I may see at the least 5 to 6 broken pieces of hair and not much shedding at all. No white bulbs on these broken pieces and they range in size from tiny, to small, to medium in length. This started once I started surging. Is this ok? Is some breakage ok? Should I not see any small strands? I started out wanting to not see so much hair coming out during washing and while combing dry but oiled hair. Now I am like ok problem solved only to have a new one. Please help!

moneychaser

Well I just asked Cathy Howse this same question and this was her reply

I define breakage as Severe breakage and Stress Breakage.

Stress Breakage happens when you comb or brush your hair. You are bound to have that happen because you are pulling on the hair.
Severe Breakage is when you have lots of little hair all over the sink, your clothes and the floor when you comb your hair. When you have severe breakage, I recommend a protein treatment.

Porsche19

All hair breaks. Hair isn't made of steel, some strands will snap from time to time. It should NOT be too much though. Only a few hairs. I've had days when I lost 2 and days when I lost 10. I was not allarmed by either.

baglady215

Dana03 said:
Well I just asked Cathy Howse this same question and this was her reply

I define breakage as Severe breakage and Stress Breakage.

Stress Breakage happens when you comb or brush your hair. You are bound to have that happen because you are pulling on the hair.
Severe Breakage is when you have lots of little hair all over the sink, your clothes and the floor when you comb your hair. When you have severe breakage, I recommend a protein treatment.

That IS great advice. I think I was obsessing too. :ohwell: