• Forum Upgraded: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/recent-forum-upgrade.849851/

How Much Breakage is TOO Much?

MizaniMami

New Member
Hey ladies,

I asked this question a while ago and BHM and all I got was "every strand that is broken is prevantable."

I feel like my hair is thriving so much right now. It is ultra moisturized and it just looks and feels better. My protein/moisture balance is met and I am really getting to know my hair. Anyways, every since I can remember, no matter how healthy my hair gets I always see about 5-7 breakage strands a week.

After I finish washing, I actually dissemble all the hairs from the detangling comb ( a little obsessed but I like to do it lol) and seperate the breakage from the shedding. I had about 14 shedding hairs today and exactly 3 broken peices. I feel like I am doing the best I can for my hair and those strands were destined to leave.

So my question to you ladies is: How much breakage is too much? Are you suppossed to see breakage, even assuming that your hair is in a very healthy state? Do you think it is impossible to acheive absolutely NO breakage?

Everyone at BHM made it like I was a breaking freak for asking this question, it seems impossible to salavage EVERY strand.
 

Tene

New Member
I don't believe anyone is going to have absolutely no breakage at all especially if they comb their hair also. I think as long as it's only a few strands there's nothing to worry about. Now if it's an excessive amount then I would worry.
 
Last edited:

Trini"T"

New Member
Pleeze! I asked the same question on another forum and ended up feeling the same way like it was some huuuge problem and my hair is gonna be taw up:perplexed Whatever:cool: I'm not even stressin' myself over the breakage I do get because I'm taking damn good care of my hair now and whatever breakage that has occurred was inevitable (I treat my hair like silk). I also keep in mind that my hair will not be 100% because of the relaxer and I am dealing with some overprocessed hair from "Hairdressers Know Best" days. What makes me know that the breakage I get will not be detrimental to me having long hair is the progress I have seen in my hair since I have been taking care of it. It is thicker and healthier than it has ever been. I actually had to cut off most of the hair that the hairdressers sinned against because I could actually feel the difference between that hair and the hair that I was taking care of. Yes my hair still breaks but it's the fact that it is LESS breakage. Another thing is that I keep up with my trims. You don't even have to OD. 1/4 evry 6-8 wks is fine.

Now, TOO much breakage is tons of tiny hairs on the back of your shirt! That my dear will get your length no where. I saw this on my grandmother after she decided she "didn't feel like using the neutralizer" after relaxing her hair.:lachen: :lachen: :lol:
 
Last edited:
I read that thread at BHM and it made me feel bad.:( Until recently, the breakage and shedding I had didn't bother me at all. I went from combing out a big wad of hair every time I washed to little to none now. I am still getting some breakage but defnitely not nearly as much as I used to. I see about 5 little hairs per day now and I know I need a trim. Sorry, this was more of a comment than an answer to your question but I was feeling bad also because I still see some little hairs here and there. I have definitely improved because I used to get them all over my clothes. I thought one day, I would not see any but the only time this happens is when I don't comb or manipulate my hair at all.
 
Last edited:

Sistaslick

New Member
Girl our hair is strong and can withstand some pretty amazing stuff-- but it isn't a titanium/steel alloy or something :nono: :lol: In a perfect world we wouldn't lose a hair-- but unfortunately, despite our best efforts--hair is just simply bound to break at some point.

The fact of the matter is--Hair gets old, it gets handled, it gets exposed to the wind, air, and sun. Some of us produce hair that is compromised from the start because of our poor diets/health habits (count me in that one:look: )-- then there's the relaxing, washing, detangling, coloring, swimming, and heat use and working a comb through it all . . . year after year . . . it is a wonder we even have hair.:lachen:

Don't stress over a little breakage here and there-- its part of the game and comes with the territory. But chronic, menacing breakage over the longterm is definitely something you should be concerned about. :yep: Our goal is to simply minimize the breakage over the longterm. If you keep it in check, you'll be fine.
 

MizaniMami

New Member
Sistaslick said:
Girl our hair is strong and can withstand some pretty amazing stuff-- but it isn't a titanium/steel alloy or something :nono: :lol: In a perfect world we wouldn't lose a hair-- but unfortunately, despite our best efforts--hair is just simply bound to break at some point.

The fact of the matter is--Hair gets old, it gets handled, it gets exposed to the wind, air, and sun. Some of us produce hair that is compromised from the start because of our poor diets/health habits (count me in that one:look: )-- then there's the relaxing, washing, detangling, coloring, swimming, and heat use and working a comb through it all . . . year after year . . . it is a wonder we even have hair.:lachen:

Don't stress over a little breakage here and there-- its part of the game and comes with the territory. But chronic, menacing breakage over the longterm is definitely something you should be concerned about. :yep: Our goal is to simply minimize the breakage over the longterm. If you keep it in check, you'll be fine.

I am glad I am not the only one that feels like this. This girl on BHM was all like "All breakage is avoidable" yaddiyah and other people were following behind her so I'm like, okkkkkay lol.
Thank you ladies for chiming in. Everyone here is always so helpful!!:) :p
 

Arcadian

New Member
Sistaslick said:
Don't stress over a little breakage here and there-- its part of the game and comes with the territory. But chronic, menacing breakage over the longterm is definitely something you should be concerned about. :yep: Our goal is to simply minimize the breakage over the longterm. If you keep it in check, you'll be fine.

ITA, its just apart of life. :yep:

I don't believe anyone that says they never get breakage. They may not ever NOTICE it, but yea, they do get it. **** happens.



-A
 

secretdiamond

In Love Again
Arcadian said:
ITA, its just apart of life. :yep:

I don't believe anyone that says they never get breakage. They may not ever NOTICE it, but yea, they do get it. **** happens.



-A

I was just about to post the same thing. :yep:
 

punchinella

New Member
Sistaslick said:
Girl our hair is strong and can withstand some pretty amazing stuff-- but it isn't a titanium/steel alloy or something :nono: :lol: In a perfect world we wouldn't lose a hair-- but unfortunately, despite our best efforts--hair is just simply bound to break at some point.

The fact of the matter is--Hair gets old, it gets handled, it gets exposed to the wind, air, and sun. Some of us produce hair that is compromised from the start because of our poor diets/health habits (count me in that one:look: )-- then there's the relaxing, washing, detangling, coloring, swimming, and heat use and working a comb through it all . . . year after year . . . it is a wonder we even have hair.:lachen:

Don't stress over a little breakage here and there-- its part of the game and comes with the territory. But chronic, menacing breakage over the longterm is definitely something you should be concerned about. :yep: Our goal is to simply minimize the breakage over the longterm. If you keep it in check, you'll be fine.





I would like more info on minimizing breakage. TIA
 

Candy_C

New Member
MizaniMami said:
Hey ladies,

I asked this question a while ago and BHM and all I got was "every strand that is broken is prevantable."

I feel like my hair is thriving so much right now. It is ultra moisturized and it just looks and feels better. My protein/moisture balance is met and I am really getting to know my hair. Anyways, every since I can remember, no matter how healthy my hair gets I always see about 5-7 breakage strands a week.
After I finish washing, I actually dissemble all the hairs from the detangling comb ( a little obsessed but I like to do it lol) and seperate the breakage from the shedding. I had about 14 shedding hairs today and exactly 3 broken peices. I feel like I am doing the best I can for my hair and those strands were destined to leave.

So my question to you ladies is: How much breakage is too much? Are you suppossed to see breakage, even assuming that your hair is in a very healthy state? Do you think it is impossible to acheive absolutely NO breakage?

Everyone at BHM made it like I was a breaking freak for asking this question, it seems impossible to salavage EVERY strand.

A WEEK! WOW lol, ur blessed, i get around 0-5 a day babes, 5 when i'm sue for a retouch no matter WHAT i do! u have nothing to worry about that is nottttttthin
 
Last edited:

VelvetRain

Well-Known Member
Sorry but them so fools over there. Which is why I don't go over there even to lurk. Like everyone said I wouldn't stress over it. I too get some breakage and my hair is healthy as well. Lately I been getting excessive shedding but I am pinning that on that damn no lye perm my stylist put it. Cuz I never had it before with lye perms.
 

RabiaElaine

New Member
I've come to the conclusion that no matter what I do...I'm going to see a little breakage here and there. So long as it isn't a whole lot. I get a few broken strands a day...if I comb my hair. If I don't comb my hair then I'll have zero broken strands or maybe 1.

My roomate in college had waist-butt length hair 3a hair. She always had some strands (shedded and broken) when she combed her hair. Her hair never got any shorter than mid-back (and that was due to style she wanted). Everyone is going to have a little breakage here and there.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
 

KhandiB

Well-Known Member
Well, shoot according to them I should be ready to jump off a bridge, cuz I see way more than 5 a day...
 

KiniKakes

Well-Known Member
This is such a GREAT post MM, because I had been wondering the very same thing. Despite how delicately Ive been handling my hair, and the sufficient protein/moisture that it gets, I still occasionally see a few broken strands when I comb my hair. Its not a great deal, but it does concern me because it seemed that NO breakage was acceptable. So I was all scared and stuff. But I see now a few strands of hair are typical. Im so glad that you started this thread!

And I agree, I am NOT feeling the vibes over at BHM, which is why i have an account over there but lurk only occasionally, and rarely post.
 

MizaniMami

New Member
punchinella said:
I would like more info on minimizing breakage. TIA

Sistaslick created a WONDERFURL thread called Breakage 101, it is a sticky a few posts above the latest post. Check it out. Very informative

Edited for my spelling/typos
 

MoonStar

Active Member
I'm always thinking my hair is breaking and shedding a lot but when I leave the salon it looks so healthy and strong that I don't worry about it anymore. So when I'm feeling really depressed about my hair I go to the salon.
 

goldensensation

New Member
MoonStar said:
I'm always thinking my hair is breaking and shedding a lot but when I leave the salon it looks so healthy and strong that I don't worry about it anymore. So when I'm feeling really depressed about my hair I go to the salon.

My mouth dropped when I saw the color of your hair in your avatar. That is soooooooo pretty!
 

punchinella

New Member
MizaniMami said:
Sistaslick created a WONDERFURL thread called Breakage 101, it is a sticky a few posts above the latest post. Check it out. Very informative

Edited for my spelling/typos


Thank You MizaniMami:)
 
Top