How much did your texture change?

cch24

Hi Ladies,

I've been transitioning for 17 months now and I understand that the perm hair is weighing my natural texture down. My question is, when you finally chopped, how much did your texture change? Was there a point in your transition where you could estimate what your texture would be? Were you right?

I've always been curious to see pictures of people's new growth with relaxed ends, and then pictures of their natural texture. Does anyone have anything to share? It would be greatly appreciated!

(Just in case this thread would be worthless without pictures I attached a picture of my new growth in the back of my hair with relaxed ends, and a picture of a piece I found towards the front of my hair that has only a piece of a relaxed end left. These pictures don't really help answer my question however, because I already know my texture is different in the back)

TIA

Last edited:

ms.blue

the relaxed hair made my hair look wavy but it turned curly once it eas cut. I had about six months of new growth when I BC'd. To me the curls became more defined as my hair grew longer.

preciouslove0x

Great question!! I want to know too. Although I am newly natural, I only had my hair out for a day before I put braids in (only because school is a little stressful right now and I dont have time to *style* my hair)

Dont mean to hijack but I would also like to know after you BC how long does it usually take to see your true texture?? I've heard that it takes months (or weeks) but I'm not sure why that would be the case.... :ohwell:

plastic

middle

side

The attachments show the same areas.
In my opinion my texture did not change , but it did not seem like what I thought it would be ... at all. After I chopped my hair curled into little balls and now that it is growing .. it is just a fro

Attachments

• washngo 026.jpg
    washngo 026.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 61
  • washngo 023.jpg
    washngo 023.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 55

ms.blue

Great question!! I want to know too. Although I am newly natural, I only had my hair out for a day before I put braids in (only because school is a little stressful right now and I dont have time to *style* my hair)

Dont mean to hijack but I would also like to know after you BC how long does it usually take to see your true texture?? I've heard that it takes months (or weeks) but I'm not sure why that would be the case.... :ohwell:

it tooks me months b/c I a weird texture growing out first which I guess it was "scab hair" once I cut it off my hair started curling up. I thought my hair was primarily 4b but really is 4a/b with curls. So I guess it depends on the person how long it will take before they would see their true texture. Hth

cch24

Thank you for all of your responses!

Plastic- Thanks for the pictures! I don't really think about what my hair will look like sans relaxed ends because I know it could totally change. Do you think that as your hair gets longer it will change again?

poookie

depending on how long your relaxed hair is when you cut, it can weigh your hair down. i had (at most) about 5" of relaxed hair when i chopped, & for the most part, my texture remained exactly the same, both before & after the chop. i believe once it grows longer & the strands get heavier, the texture will get slightly looser, & as i find the right products to use as a natural, my texture will be more defined :yep:

plastic

Thank you for all of your responses!

Plastic- Thanks for the pictures! I don't really think about what my hair will look like sans relaxed ends because I know it could totally change. Do you think that as your hair gets longer it will change again?

I think for sure the longer it gets the more definition I will see. Like how yours is in the first picture minus the relaxed end

lilsparkle825

if you look in my transitioning album, you can probably see, but i was like 95% sure i was a 3b/c. I'm actually 5% 3b :lachen:

But seriously, I'm a 3c/4a. The 4a really popped after a few weeks of cowashing.

Nina_deF

For me it was 50/50.
Some parts I thought were just frizz turned into really nice curls.

BUT what I expected to be a problem is a problem. My relaxed ends didn't really change it that much. Then again I was only (not fully) SL before my bc so... I guess if you have more relaxed hair, it's going to weigh it down more.

Problem area, my top:

Pre BC
WnG on transistioning hair (fluffed)

Close up (pre-fluffing):

Post BC:

Post BC with KCCC:

So you never really know....

Grand Prix

Great question!
I've been asking myself the same thing.

I've got this wavy/frizzy section at the top of my head and since my relaxed ends are longest there, I'm hoping they'll curl once I cut. :pray:

cch24

Thanks for all the responses! I have been able to retain most of my relaxed ends through this process and I think I have 6 to 7 inches all around. I'm excited to see what happens in October (when I chop)!