How much is too much??

vandidix

I seem to get 2-4 short hairs a day breaking off every day in the morning and at night when I'm putting products in my hair. I've been moisturizing, wearing protective styles, cowashing every 3 days or so, and I DC once a week. I don't know how else to stop this breakage!!! Is this too much breakage to be considered normal or do others experience this? Any suggestions? TIA!

Kari107

It doesn't seem like too much but breakage is never good. Perhaps you can add some protein products to the moisturizing products you already use.

Katt73

This is a good question...I get about five when I comb (not including regular shed hairs)...I am starting to freak out a bit myself.

PinkSkates

Unfortunately most african american hair is exceptionally fragile and delicate. Unlike any other hair type, it's prone to breakage and damage. You just have to do your best to keep the moisture/protein balanced as best you can, to keep the breakage to a bare minimum.

**WonderWoman**

It doesn't seem like too much but breakage is never good. Perhaps you can add some protein products to the moisturizing products you already use.

ITA! I say add light protein. Try DCing with ORS hair Mayo' & follow with a moisturizing DC like Humecto. That's working for me.

vandidix

Thanks ladies! I cut down on the protein and added more moisture because I thought that was the breakage culprit. But maybe I went overboard!! I think I'll add back some protein, but not as much. I've done really well with stretching my relaxers (I'm 9 weeks post and going for 12!) and since I've been using BT for the last month or so, have gotten some serious NG. I'd hate to see it all undone by the ends falling off!