How much is 'too much'?

Lovelylocs

I have fine hair too. When it starts to feel like grease, it's too heavy. You want something very light that the hair can absorb.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Dry, split hair is what really causes breakage. There's a difference between moisture and product buildup on the hair. If your hair is moisturized, you're good. If there is product buildup, where you actually see product in your hair after it has dried, it can be bad for your hair because the buildup can tangle with other strands and cause knots and splits, and when you try to comb/brush your hair, it'll rip right through that knot or split and break off.

Bublin

I have finally figured out that my hair is extremely dry, has thin strands but is very dense. It needs alot of leave-in product after a wash - yep - oozing out whilst i'm doing my twists to airdry but once its dried there is no product left and it feels clean and moisturised.
On subsequent days (in between washes i spray with my water/aloe juice mix and apply more leave-in but nowhere near as much as on wash day.

After about 3-4 days i feel i need to wash or co-wash because it starts to feel dry despite the daily moisture i put in it - and probably due to build up.

Over the past couple of months i have noticed that i don't need to pile on as much leave-in on wash day as i used to. You just can feel that your hair is hydrated and not in need of too much product. I guess i have upped the moisture levels in my hair and it is no longer permanently thirsty.

(i have to add i stopped using heat 2 months ago and this has helped ALOT)

I hope this makes sense.

virtuenow

If you find a really good moisturizing conditioner and wash process, your hair should be moist enough that you most likely will not need to moisturize for the whole week between your wash. I use Aubrey Organiccs GPB protein/moist balancing conditioner and castor oil rinses. They have saved me from my days of slathering on product and drowning (drying out) my hair.

bb09

I wish I could get to that point! virtuenow, if you used too much castor oil for the oil rinse (basically you didn't get it all out), would your hair feel/be dry?

SuchaLady

I have also thrown out the moisturizing every day. The manipulation just completely outweighed the benefits to me. A weekly DC gives me my moisture and lots of leave in. If Im wearing a pony for the week I will squirt some moisturizer in my hands and run it down the length of the pony while focusing on the ends. And Im big on oils too. An oil alone on my hair has always been sufficient enough.

virtuenow

I wish I could get to that point! @virtuenow, if you used too much castor oil for the oil rinse (basically you didn't get it all out), would your hair feel/be dry?

No, I usually intentionally leave some oil in; it never leaves hair dry, in fact its quite the opposite-- super soft/moist. this did the trick for me, the oil rinses, and the combo of the weekly deep conditioning. I searched and searched for a routine that would soften, moisturize and allow me not have to load on products day after day. I tried every deep conditioner imaginable. Even a $30 4oz tube of Aveda-- that did nothing for my hair. The Aubrey gpb deep cond'r and oil rinses (which are a quick step) are great for this simplified routine.

sapphire18

It depends on the product. If it is a moisturizing product and you are relaxed you know you might be using too much when the hair breaks easily when detangling. If it is a protein product and your hair starts too feel crunchy you are using too much. You wouldn't need to reapply a lot of additional product to your hair between washes/rinses because the same amount of product is in your hair since the last wash/rinse.

bb09

No, I usually intentionally leave some oil in; it never leaves hair dry, in fact its quite the opposite-- super soft/moist. this did the trick for me, the oil rinses, and the combo of the weekly deep conditioning. I searched and searched for a routine that would soften, moisturize and allow me not have to load on products day after day. I tried every deep conditioner imaginable. Even a $30 4oz tube of Aveda-- that did nothing for my hair. The Aubrey gpb deep cond'r and oil rinses (which are a quick step) are great for this simplified routine.
virtuenow, I'm with you on trying every DC -from cheapies to expensive ones.

Anyway, I'll try the castor oil (rinse) again, atleast for my NG. My application might have just been bad the last time(s). I smooshed the oil into my NG (to avoid wet manipulation).

I neeed moisturising techniques /methods like this. I'll work it in differently next time..