How often do you chelate?

SimpleKomplexity

The college where I go to has hard water, and I had never heard about clarifying or chelating shampoos before I got here. My question is how often do you guys use a chelating shampoo and what kind of shampoo do you use? I'm thinkin about Joico Resolve

If you have hard water you can chelate every wash. Mineral buildup is going to make your other products not work as well. You can try using ORS aloe shampoo, it chelates, Kenra and Joico has one. Try doing some searches about chelating for even more info about frequency.

I chelate with Kenra once month. I dilute it and use a nozzle so it actually hits my scalp. I sit with it on for about 3 minutes. I then rinse and then hit my scalp with plain water thru the nozzle just to make sure I get it all out. HTH

Hi guys, I never thought to think of this but I'm in school also. How can I tell if the water is hard. Really would appreciate the answer.

Hi guys, I never thought to think of this but I'm in school also. How can I tell if the water is hard. Really would appreciate the answer.

Does the shower head have a powdery white substance on it? That is one way to tell.

does your electric kettle have white scales in it?? or the shower had has white substance around it? then you have hard water

hmmm ORS aloe shampoo chelates?! I didn't know that! YAY I already have that lol! But I found out because everytime I shower or wash my hair at the shcool, my skin and hair feels very very dry and I get ashy really really quick lol (I had to stock up on that expensive Keri Lotion lol) I looked liek I was playin in flour EVERYDAY before class!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

My chelating shampoo Ion Hardwater can be used with each wash. I do it just about every week. I don't need those deposits on my hair for anything, so I'd rather get rid of them. It made all of the difference in the world.

does your electric kettle have white scales in it?? or the shower had has white substance around it? then you have hard water

Hmm...I don't have an electric kettle and since I'm not at school because we're on break, I'll make sure to check out and see if there is any "white substance" when I get back. Thanks for the the responses, though!

My chelating shampoo Ion Hardwater can be used with each wash. I do it just about every week. I don't need those deposits on my hair for anything, so I'd rather get rid of them. It made all of the difference in the world.

Who you tellin'. It made all the difference in the world for me. I couldn't figure out why my hair was so rough and inflexible. Chelated, replenish pak'd, spritzed with curl juice, sealed with vatika.

I woke up flipping hair like a stripper. All I have to say is 'ahhhhh' and that I didn't waste the hour I was on the forum because I found the answer to that problem. Stay tuned for the next crisis....

Who you tellin'. It made all the difference in the world for me. I couldn't figure out why my hair was so rough and inflexible. Chelated, replenish pak'd, spritzed with curl juice, sealed with vatika.

I woke up flipping hair like a stripper. All I have to say is 'ahhhhh' and that I didn't waste the hour I was on the forum because I found the answer to that problem. Stay tuned for the next crisis....

:lachen::lachen:

Bump

I have a question, after you chelate with a shampoo can you then use your regular shampoo or is that too much on the hair?

But, if you chelate first then rinse the shampoo and then rinse the conditioners out, doesnt it just come back? Should i rinse with distilled water or am i jujst being paranoid??

But, if you chelate first then rinse the shampoo and then rinse the conditioners out, doesnt it just come back? Should i rinse with distilled water or am i jujst being paranoid??

Girl now you got me tripping:lachen:. Also can you chelate and clarify on the same day?

Sorta.

But mineral build-up is the real problem. Rinsing out your shampoo and conditioners with your regular water will not hurt. Chelators bind to the minerals so that they can be rinsed out, eliminating the chance of build up caused my using hard water (or relaxing with no-lye) over and over again.

I have hard water and I really don't need to chelate with every wash. I can go a few washes without it before I notice. I would say by the 4th wash, I would notice a need to use a chelating shampoo.

To avoid that I can do it with every or every other wash.

But, now I look to my conditioners as a solution. I notice that regular deep conditioning with conditioners that contain EDTA (chelator) really cuts down my need for a chelating shampoo. I normally only use the shampoo on relaxer days (I use no-lye) and when I use henna.

Lustrasilk Cholesterol (Olive oil or shea) and Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator are my current deep conditioners and they call contain EDTA. I hardly ever use my Kenra Chelating shampoo anymore. Once a month at the most, and I have very hard water.

Last edited:
Girl now you got me tripping:lachen:. Also can you chelate and clarify on the same day?

You can use a shampoo that does both.

Or Clarify and then use a moisturizing chelating shampoo.

I prefer to use one that does both like Kenra Chelating or Joico K-pak Chelating.

I personally always use distilled water on my final rinse. That's even when I'm not chelating.

lol i never thought i would find hair washing so complicated until i joined this forum:grin:!

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:
lol i never thought i wouldl find hair washing so complicated until i joined this forum:grin:!

Thanks for the responses!

Really it does not have to be. I try to make it as simple and uncomplicated as possible for myself. That is how I discovered that using the shampoo every time was overkill for me. Also I know I would never take the time to rinse with distilled water while I am in the shower. Maybe if I did washing in the sick.

I do wash my face with distilled water though. My hard water has an effect on my skin, as well. Causes major dryness, flakes and eczema flare-ups.

Hard water is no joke. My last water test showed that I have 'very hard water'. :perplexed

Sorta.

But mineral build-up is the real problem. Rinsing out your shampoo and conditioners with your regular water will not hurt. Chelators bind to the minerals so that they can be rinsed out, eliminating the chance of build up caused my using hard water (or relaxing with no-lye) over and over again.

I have hard water and I really don't need to chelate with every wash. I can go a few washes without it before I notice. I would say by the 4th wash, I would notice a need to use a chelating shampoo.

To avoid that I can do it with every or every other wash.

But, now I look to my conditioners as a solution. I notice that regular deep conditioning with conditioners that contain EDTA (chelator) really cuts down my need for a chelating shampoo. I normally only use the shampoo on relaxer days (I use no-lye) and when I use henna.

Lustrasilk Cholesterol (Olive oil or shea) and Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator are my current deep conditioners and they call contain EDTA. I hardly ever use my Kenra Chelating shampoo anymore. Once a month at the most, and I have very hard water.

Thank you so much for this information! I just purchased both versions of the Lustrasilk Cholesterol and I will be adding it to my DCs everytime! :kiss: Hard water is no joke ladies! Please take it serious! If I skip one day without using lotion I get eczema flare ups on my stomach and waist, and I've never had eczema until I came to NY :nono:

Thank you so much for this information! I just purchased both versions of the Lustrasilk Cholesterol and I will be adding it to my DCs everytime! :kiss: Hard water is no joke ladies! Please take it serious! If I skip one day without using lotion I get eczema flare ups on my stomach and waist, and I've never had eczema until I came to NY :nono:

Same here! I did not have the problems with my skin, or hair, until I moved into my house 10 years ago. My area isn't known for hard water based on the charts and stats out there, but I learned that you can still have it based on the quality of the pipes in your area.

About 3 months after I moved here, my skin just acted up something terrible.

I used to wear braids all the time back them and did not notice the effects on my hair until I stopped wearing braids. But even between braids, my scalp was often super dry and my hair looked brassy. who knew!?!

I did not find out until about 3 years ago. I had so much trouble before that.

Really it does not have to be. I try to make it as simple and uncomplicated as possible for myself.

Hard water is no joke. My last water test showed that I have 'very hard water'. :perplexed

Its not a bad thing! I now know exactly why am i putting this and that product on my hair!:yep:

The way you guys decribe hard water seem to be NO JOKE! im not sure if mine is as hard... of to check for white residue

Its not a bad thing! I now know exactly why am i putting this and that product on my hair!:yep:

The way you guys decribe hard water seem to be NO JOKE! im not sure if mine is as hard... of to check for white residue

I bought 15 water test strips off Ebay.

Why I test it all the time? Like it's gonna change. :look: :lol:

I only have 3 strips left. All 12 of the others said 'very hard water'.

I am not going to buy anymore strips. I cannot figure out the the life of me, why I think the result is going to be any different.

I bought the water pik hard water filter but it just does not fit right in my shower. Sareca posted her before and after water test pics and it really does help!

I have the iWater filter and it helps a TINY bit, but not enough to make a difference. I posted my water test results also. Let me try to find those...

Edited to add:

Here is that thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=296797

Last edited:
Back