How often do you comb your hair and how much hair?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Chimma, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Chimma

Chimma New Member

How often do you comb your hair and how much hair is on your comb?

Just curious. [​IMG]
    I enjoy combing my hair, but I wonder if I am combing too much - I wonder if I cause excess hair loss, because I don't seem to notice much difference on the comb whether I comb every day or every 3 days. I comb my hair approximately every one or two days w/ the K-Cutter. I dampen it with water from a spray bottle, keep it well conditioned, and comb out. I have hair a few inches below shoulder length with about 7 of those inches natural. It's not difficult for me to comb, and probably takes about 10-15 minutes, but is this recommended? Should I be combing twice a day or be trying to stretch my combouts out longer? Is there a change in the recommendation for natural hair?

2. Ayeshia

Ayeshia New Member

It totally depends on you. I think you shoul strtch your combouts though if you can. When I was relaxed I combed/brushed my hair into a LOOSE pony or a braid at night and tied a scarf on my head. In the morning, there was no need to comb my hair because it stayed in place. I did this when I was natural too. Now that Im natural again, i keep forgetting that its best to dampen my hair or spray it before i comb as oppsed to my relaxed hair when it wasnt necessary.

3. karezone

karezone Well-Known Member

I comb about 2-3 times a day and I really don't pay attention to the hair in the comb instead, I listen really closely as I pull the comb through my hair and if I hair breaking, I know that it is time for a conditioning treatment.

But I have drastically cut back on brushing. I only brush once a day, and that is to smooth my wrap at night.

4. DragonPearl

DragonPearl Well-Known Member

I only comb my hair when I am detangling it at washing time, after it has been soaking with conditioner from 5 minutes to 1 hour. Then, I DON'T comb it anymore until the next wash, unless I am twisting my hair. In that case, when I am ready to twist, I will comb out each section before twisting. Since using the K-cutter, I don't find that much hair in my comb.
    In between shampoo, I don't do any hairstyle that requires combing my hair. I am convinced not combing my hair between wash has contributed greatly to its growth.

5. Ayeshia

Ayeshia New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jessy55 said:
    I only comb my hair when I am detangling it at washing time, after it has been soaking with conditioner from 5 minutes to 1 hour. Then, I DON'T comb it anymore until the next wash, unless I am twisting my hair. In that case, when I am ready to twist, I will comb out each section before twisting. Since using the K-cutter, I don't find that much hair in my comb.
    In between shampoo, I don't do any hairstyle that requires combing my hair. I am convinced not combing my hair between wash has contributed greatly to its growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA thats why i am trying to cut down on combing as much as possible

6. Allandra

Allandra Super Duper Moderator Staff Member

I comb my hair once a day (in the morning). If it's a shampoo/condition day, I comb it twice a day.

7. nijilah

nijilah New Member

Although I wash my hair twice per week, I comb my hair once a week after having left conditioner in it for at least 1/2 hour.

8. lunalight7

lunalight7 New Member

I comb the length once a day but as the new growth increases, I only comb from root to tip once a week while wet with conditioner under the stream of water in the shower with a wide toothed comb (dang that was a long sentence...)

9. fine_beauty

fine_beauty Jesus, I Trust In You!

I comb on wash days with the help of conditioner but thanks to you ladies, I'll wait for 30 mins before combing through.
    On non wash days, I don't comb unless necessary (using redken's anti-snap cos I'm 13wks post relaxer) but brush my fine textured hair with an old toothbrush (still searching for a decent tool with toothbrush like bristles so I can brush in the presence of folks without blushing [​IMG] )
    Forgot to add, length = about 5" from bra strap (finally measured [​IMG] )

10. LABETT

LABETT Well-Known Member

I comb thru my hair once a day when not wearing a drawstring ponytail.
    I only lose a couple of strand since using surge when combing.

11. inthepink

inthepink New Member

I generally comb my hair twice a day. In the morning, I comb it into a style with my widest tooth bone comb. In the evenings before bed, I part it down the middle, lightly comb it and braid it for the night.

12. ChasingBliss

ChasingBliss Well-Known Member

If finger combing counts, I do it twice a day. Both of these times include the undoing of my bun to moisturize in the morning and evening. I detangle on wash days (every 4 day).

13. henrilou

henrilou New Member

I have tangly 4 a/b hair. The first week after its freshly pressed I comb it because the comb is like a massage on my scalp. After that... nope. I use my fingers to wrap it and bun it in the morning. Sometimes I'll use a bristle brush for smoothing(ONLY lightly-- not brushing down to the root--that will pull the hair out)

14. mslionheart

mslionheart Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jessy55 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I do. My hair is happiest with minimal manipulation. I don't think you have to comb just for the sake of combing, unless you're going for a particular style.