How Often Do You Go to the Salon?

How Often Do You Go To A Professional Stylist/Salon

• Never - I do my own hair

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • 2-3 times a year

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • monthly

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • very often (standing weekly or 2x per month appointments)

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wyldcurlz

after what happened to me today i'm considering never stepping into a salon again (unless i decide to dye my hair.) but, i've got two left hands when it comes to styling and straightening. i'd like to know how often you go to the salon? or what services you feel you can do on your own.

since i don't relax, i'd need to do my own deep conditioning treatments and flat iron my hair myself (guess its time to put that sedu iron to use.) i'm just worried i won't get as good of results since doing my hair is not my strong point.

how many of you don't go to the salon anymore (or go less than twice a year?) do you straighten (relax or flat-iron/press) your own hair with good results? i know so many of you are very talented and can do fabulous sets on your hair. i wish that were me. but i really, really don't want to go back to the salon!

atlien11

I only go every so often to get my relaxer. Last time i went in between relaxers, the stylists put WAY too much setting lotion in my hair, put my under the dryer, and then proceeded to rip through my hair with a paddle brush. I almost killed her. Instead i told her to stop and then i walked out. I thought i was going to end up on the 6 oclock news over that :mad: Now i do my own.

baglady215

I go once or twice a year, just to go. I do my own everything (relaxers, sets). I'm thinking about getting my relaxers professionaly done if I can find the right stylist.

leleepop

I was going twice a week for rollersets or occasionally flat iron. BUT my stylist moved so I have been doing it myself as of April. I might try another stylist just for rollersets and trims as needed. But I gotta break her down and let her know Im in charge or I will go elsewhere

MizaniMami

I don't go to a salon anymore. I do all of thee above by mself: relax, color (rinses only), flat iron, DC, EVERYTHING. And I'm pretty good too.

It just takes practice and time oh and patience. I have a sedu iron too :) But I can actually make my hair look BETTER than my stylist, if I put the effort in:p

inthepink

I'm glad to see this thread. My stylist became scissor happy when I saw him a few weeks ago. I'm now resigned to do my own hair and maybe see a stylist once a year to even out my homemade trims.

Isis

hairlove said:
I'm glad to see this thread. My stylist became scissor happy when I saw him a few weeks ago. I'm now resigned to do my own hair and maybe see a stylist once a year to even out my homemade trims.
Hi Hairlove! :wave: It's good to see you!
Sorry to hear about your stylist, I hope he didn't cut too much of your beautiful hair!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I go maybe 2 or 3 times a year if that and it's only to get cornrows or the occasional roller set. I can do everything myself but cornrow it. I hate the way most stylists trim. They trim wayyyy to much! I don't even go for roller sets anymore because the lady that did mine does those crunchy curls.....ewww! She uses lots of setting lotion and then when it's dry she uses that awful Pump It Up hair spray. She sprays so much of it on that she has to use the blow dryer to dry it. After a few days my hair is like goo. :(

firecracker

When I was relaxed I used to go twice a month with long hair and thrice a month with short hair.

Since I went natural I only went twice for coloring during a whole year.

I am determined not to give those *****'s my money anymore.

Jewell

I don't really go monthly eventhough I voted for that. I went to the salon for the first time in a year last month for a TU. I plan to go back every 2-3 months to get my highlights touched-up and that's about it. I do everything else myself.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I haven't been in 13 mos which is the last time I got a perm. Since that last perm broke off my hair in a couple of sections down to like 1/4 of an inch I said that was it. My hair has never been healthier and I don't see myself ever getting a perm again. I might start going 1-2 times a year for presses going forward.

Ms Red

I haven't gone sine I started transitioning (13 months ago). I am thinking of going soon to get a press (I haven't used heat in a yr). But if I do decide to go, I won't let the stylist trim or cut (only shampoo, deep condition and press). My faith in stylists has died. :(

Undefeated Queen

I go maybe 2-4 times a year; only if I want a hairstyle I can't do myself or if I want a professional trim by someone who knows the difference between a trim and whacking off inches of hair.

shellzfoshizzle

when i was relaxed, i used to go once a month...to get rollersets, a good DC and whenever i needed a perm.

now that i am transitioning, i haven't been in a salon since october 2005.

i plan on going to a natural salon or aveda after i BC for some highlights.

Crystalicequeen123

Well, my stylist is pretty good, and really cares about the health of my hair, so I go to her fairly often (at least once a month). But I will probably start going to her every 2 weeks since I notice that I get less breakage when trying to stretch relaxers when I go get my hair done every 2 weeks.

BUT...I don't have to rely on stylists. I can do my hair at home. Albeit, it's not as "dazzling" as a salon-do, but it's still manageable. If I lost my job today and needed to save money, I could do my own hair at home and not "panic" at all. :yep: Now relaxers....I will ALWAYS have a professional do my touch ups, or just not have one at all.

testimony777

I never go to the salon. I purchased quality styling tools (ceramic flat iron, ionic hooded dryer) and quality products (good deep conditioner and regular conditioner etc.) and learned to do my hair myself. I am pretty good at it now but it took practice and learning from others who do their own hair.

KiniKakes

Gee, I had no idea so many folks did their own hair. :p

Well back when i used to live in md (six years ago), I only went to the salon 2x a month, if that. Thats because it was so durn pricey. But since coming to NY and discovering Dominican salons, I go once a week. Its sooo cheap and they do a wonderful job. When it comes down to it, im super lazy and hate doing my hair. So if its cheap and i can pay someone without breaking my budget, that's what i'll do.

FlyyGyrl

Three years ago I didn't even wash my hair my self. Now I am happy to say that I no longer pay for ppl to jack up my hair. Now I jack it up myself in the comfort of my home, for free!:lachen: J/K, with time I have gotten pretty good at styling my hair my self.

albane

I have voted once a month which is an average. However I am benefiting from the fact that my mother is a hairdresser. Unfortunately for me, her salon is located around 100 km away. I love being taken care of in the salon by her or her employee for my rollerset, and I would do it weekly if she was living in Paris.

inthepink

testimony777 said:
I never go to the salon. I purchased quality styling tools (ceramic flat iron, ionic hooded dryer) and quality products (good deep conditioner and regular conditioner etc.) and learned to do my hair myself. I am pretty good at it now but it took practice and learning from others who do their own hair.
Testimony -

How do you go about trimming your hair?

Mestiza

I do my own hair and don't go to a salon, anymore. I relax it myself and don't have to deal w/ someone rushing and complaining about my hair being too long.