How often do you moisturize your hair?

How often do you moisturize your hair to prevent dryness?

• Once a week

Votes: 26 4.7%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 54 9.7%
  • Once a day

Votes: 263 47.1%
  • 2 or more times a day

Votes: 194 34.8%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 21 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

I know that keeping the hair moisturized is very important when it comes to hair care. How often do you moisturize your hair and what products/technique do you use? I have been on this board for about three years and I am just now getting the hang of how to keep my hair moisturized. At first I would apply a moisturizer maybe a few times a week and wondered why my hair always felt dry and hard. I would take some moisturizer, rub it through my hair one good time and be done. Now I apply a moisturizer 2-3 times a day by parting my hair and moisturizing the hair and scalp. I never kept my scalp moisturized and now I see that it is a very important step. I like organic root stimulator olive oil hair lotion, it is so rich and not too thick.

I do realize that every bodies hair is different and some don't need as much moisture as often as others, so I would like to know how you ladies keep your hair moisturized.

Last edited:

Renewed1

My hair is natural so I have to moisturized at least twice a day. Plus seal my hair with either castor oil or coconut oil.

I moisturize atleast 2x per day with Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion and DooGro grease.....first I put moisturizer on my ends and then work my way up to my hair, and then I ONLY add the grease to my ends and bun or ponytail.....

msa

I moisturize once a day by rinsing my hair while in the shower. Keeps my scalp clean, my hair soft, and it's easier to do my hair when wet.

I think if you find that you need to moisturize often, like 2-3 times a day, then there may be an underlying problem, either with porosity or protein (protein helps your hair keep moisture, so not having enough protein can affect your hair's ability to keep moisture).

Amerie123

I've found that I only moisturize every other day. I've tried once and two times a day, and then I get mushy hair. I'm more of a protein kinda girl. So, I've learned that all that moisture is not necessary for my hair. and I'm relaxed. So, maybe that plays a role.

LivingDol1

once or twice a day. i just use a dime size amount of NTM leave in. and then i'll use a few drops of NTM healing serum or Carol's Daughter Tui Hair Oil... or ORS Oil Sheen Spray...

Most of the time I moisturize once daily using ORS Moisturizer i the bottle. Some days I can do every other day, just depends.I seal with Jojoba Oil or EVOO.When I get 7+weeks post relaxer I moisturize twice a day (in the morning and at night). I do this to make sure the new growth is moisturized.

Tinkerbell19

Im natural and usually just leave my hair curly and i moisturize in the am then i sweet talk my daughters into doing it for me again at night :grin:

IMFOCSD

My hair is natural so I have to moisturized at least twice a day. Plus seal my hair with either castor oil or coconut oil.

Hi,
I rarely seal my hair anymore because to me it does not make a difference. Maybe I should try castor oil.

IMFOCSD

I moisturize atleast 2x per day with Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion and DooGro grease.....first I put moisturizer on my ends and then work my way up to my hair, and then I ONLY add the grease to my ends and bun or ponytail.....

Hello slantedeyez,
this is a great technique.

IMFOCSD

I moisturize once a day by rinsing my hair while in the shower. Keeps my scalp clean, my hair soft, and it's easier to do my hair when wet.

I think if you find that you need to moisturize often, like 2-3 times a day, then there may be an underlying problem, either with porosity or protein (protein helps your hair keep moisture, so not having enough protein can affect your hair's ability to keep moisture).

Thanks for the advice...i honestly think my hair is just naturally dry, no matter what I do it'll be back dry a day or two later.

TheQueenBeeMaya

To be honest, I need to moisturize more often. Currently I'm wearing my hair pressed and because I don't want it to revert I only moisturize with my olive/coconut oil mix and a little bit of kinky curly leave in. I do it maybe 3x a week.

msa

Thanks for the advice...i honestly think my hair is just naturally dry, no matter what I do it'll be back dry a day or two later.

Yeah, some people's hair is just more dry than others. But, many times dryness is indicative of another problem. It could be diet/health/medication, porosity or protein, heat usage, or the ingredients in the products a person uses.

Right now I only moisturie once a week. My hair does need extra moisture, but I haven't found any that doesn't weigh my hair down. Can anyone suggest a lightweight moisturizer ?

Ramya

I moisturize 1-2 times daily with water in the mornings and glycerin and water in the evenings.

achangedlife

Never. Since I've been using roux products my hair has not needed any moisture, not even when I use heat. The most I do is some oil or shine serum/pommade when I take my rollerset down and it's not really for moisture but more so to help the curls fall the way I want them to. I use the porosity control shampoo and conditioner, and also the alpha 5 in 1 shampoo and mendex conditioner. I've been using them since January and so far so good.

shtow

I only moisturize 2-3 times a week. After I DC with paul mitchell super charged moisturizer (my new love!), I find I dont need to moisturize for a couple days. After those 2 days or so, Ill moisturize with coconout oil. Ill add enough just to make my fingers shine so I don't weigh my hair down.

*Muffin*

I usually moisturize once a day, but I carry around a small spray bottle with water and a bit of conditioner in it just in case my hair needs to be rehydrated.

pri

I moisturize 1-2x daily w/ AG Fastfood and Seyani Hair Butter right now. Hair and ends only very lightly.