How often do you moisturize?

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I usually moisturize 3x a week but I know that some people only do it once a week and some everyday. Just wondering if frequent moisturizing means that my moisturizer or dc aren't working as well as I thought?

phyl73

I moisturize daily because my hair is so dry due to transitioning. But then again, I've found out my hair doesn't like too much protein.

nappity

it depends on your individual hair needs. My hair- regardless must be moisturized daily. Cathy Howser for Grow Afro Hair Long advises that we moisturize daily.

wheezy807

I apply nightly and reapply to my edges in the mornng before i bun. I don't think that i mean that the dc isn't working. We have to keep in mind that there are daily elements that play a role in drying out the hair such as wind, heat, contact with clothes, etc. That's why it's necessary.

HoneyDew

I moisturize as needed.

Like, this week, after a weekend of over shampooing (I lathered 5 times yall - once with a clarifying. :perplexed) my hair is kinda dry. I haev been moisturizing daily. The 30 degree temps out don't help either.

In the summer and spring time, I really don't have to do it as much. I also don't have to do it as much when I use certain products.

AsTheCurlzTurns

My hair is very thick and soaks up moisturizers, so I do it every night. I co-wash 3-4x a week, DC once a week. Sometimes I'll seal the moisturizer to retain moisture and cover my head up for the night. (Tip from LHCFers that I learned recently! Thanx) Otherwise, during the day, if my overnite hair doesn't look right, I'd just do a quick wash n go, add a lil moisturizer and seal and off I go.

Aggie

I moisturize once daily, seal with oil and wear my wig or fall as I'm in the wig challenge, boot camp challenge and the HYH challenges for a year.

Lute

I hope this doesnt sound stupid. I guess not knowing this ended me.. not be able to take care of my natural hair. It was always not soft and hard to comb through. I couldnt even comb into the edges.

When you say moisturize... do you mean the scalp.. or moisturize the hair.
I know I oil my scalp every two days. But for the hair.. What do you moisturize your hair with?

kiesha8185

I usually moisturize 3x a week but I know that some people only do it once a week and some everyday. Just wondering if frequent moisturizing means that my moisturizer or dc aren't working as well as I thought?

It all depends on your hair's needs...If you hair retains moisture so that you don't have to moisturize daily, then that's great :yep:

I used to moisturize maybe once or twice a week, but since using ayurveda stuff I don't really moisturize at all (sounds like a repetitive annoying commercial, huh :lachen:) But really, since using this regimen, my hair stays soft throughout the week, so I really use moisturizer to do braid/twist outs so the waves would hold.

Empress Yahudah

Since ive been using more natural ingredients like herbs,yummy oils,stuff in the kitchen,etc.... and not using mineral oil/petroleum/lanolin and less cones I dont find the need to moisturize as often.
I do so maybe 2 times a week

HoneyDew

What are you guys moisturizing with?

I use Qhemet Biologics Products, alternating between Burdock Root Butter Cream and the Heavy Cream. The Heavy Cream gives me a head start for the week for after shampoo dryness but I maintain with the Burdock Root Butter Cream. I always seal with Nasabbs Kelechi Oil. I hate having to order my products, but I have never tried anything as good as these in any stores.