How often do you oil/grease your scalp?

How often do you oil/grease your scalp? And what oils do you use?

• 2 times a day

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Everyother day

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • Once a week

Votes: 64 21.1%
  • I never oil my scalp

Votes: 129 42.6%
  • Other

Votes: 36 11.9%

• Total voters

amorette

Sistaslick said:
I don't oil or grease my scalp either :nono: I think oil and grease only add to the problem of dry, flaky scalp. Dry things need to be hydrated, so I rely on the washing and conditioning aspects of my regimen to hydrate my scalp. I look at the scalp as an extension of the face. Just as pores can become clogged on the face, the follicles of the hair can experience the same type of obstruction if products are placed directly on it-- especially heavy oils and greases.

The scalp produces its own perfect oil, sebum, and does not need help from us via topical products. The problem of dry, flaky scalp is only aggravated by the addition of products onto the scalp skin. It ends up creating a vicious cycle of dryness. The scalp will produce less sebum to compensate for the products you are putting on it. And without this constant, even production of sebum-- the function of the scalp is thrown off balance. Dandruff and dryness return from the lack of sebum production-- and then you put more stuff on the scalp thinking this will help. Then again, the scalp cuts back on sebum and dryness returns. The scalp, like any other skin needs to be able to respirate (perspire) etc. With heavy concoctions on the scalp clogging the pores, an unhealthy environment for growth is created and the function of the scalp is hindered form operating at its optimal levels. I've found that the best way to hydrate the scalp is simply through frequent washing and conditioning. This keeps the scalp skin clear of any obstructing clutter and keeps it moisturized and supple.

I saw this picture online and saved it back in the day, and it reminds me why it seems best to keep things off of the scalp.

The stuff seen clogging the pore here is actually excess sebum! So imagine if the scalps "perfect" oil can clog it up when its left on the scalp in excess, what a coating of a thicker oil product will do? :perplexed There are people who grease their scalps daily with hair to the floor, so the hair and scalp will still thrive-- but I think conditions are optimal when the scalp is left to function on its own.
what about sulfur mixed in castor oil or mtg applied to the scalp? aren't people reaping tremendous growth stories from these products? some say use them they grow the hair, other say no way they clog the pores, this info can be confusing....

amy1234

whenever I wash my hair (after rollerset is dry)
I have to keep my scalp moist or it will get dry and start to flake.

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
*Dee* said:
whenever I wash my hair (after rollerset is dry)
I have to keep my scalp moist or it will get dry and start to flake.

I think you shampoo might be too harsh then. I don't shampoo is suppose to totally dry out the scalp

Miss*Tress

Back when I was natural, I used the green Dax. With a relaxer, it just weighed my hair down so I stopped using it and - a miracle - no more dandruff! Now, I sometimes mix tea tree oil with my brown sugar and conditioner scalp scrub, apply, then wash it out. That's about it.

I agree with SistaSlick that the scalp is an extension of the face. If your face is oily and your scalp is "dry" you probably have build up on your scalp when you experience flakiness and itching.

sareca

I typically don't put anything on my scalp but water. But I have applied amla, MN, and MTG without issue (except wicked itching with MN).

Psi77

Having an under active thyroid my skin and hair is extremely dry. This doesn't help much when the meds dry you out even more. Unfortunately unlike most people my scalp NEVER makes its own oil ( or enough of it to make my scalp comfortable ). My mother has extremly oily scalp and never oils her scalp. Since using oils on my scalp such as Emu, Jojoba, Vitamin E and Wild Growth Oil my scalp feels soothed and no more itchies; the flakey scalp has stopped. I only oil every other day. I also add olive oil to my curl activator spray to deal with the dry hair and it's the business!

bgsix

[My theory is, if you need to hydrate your skin even after taking showers daily, why not your scalp? Some people skin excrete enough oil not to be ashy as others just like some people's scalp excete enough oil not to need extra help. You should know where you fall.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement. Everyone's scalp is different.

Mizani_Mrs

I never ever ever apply anything to my scalp. My scalp itches and flakes after 1 day of having anything on it. I do have flaky scalp in the winter. to combat it, i take daily vite, drink lots of water and flaxseed was really really good. I do apply WGO and hummectress to my roots to soften them but not the scalp. This is just an assumption but it was recently on my mind. I just started using a popular acne cleanser system on my face and for the first time I was able to feel my face and feel my own oil produced by my skin (sebum) and it is soooo very unbelievably thin. it is nothing like any type of oil that we put on our hair/scalp. So i began to wonder why we put these oils on our scalp if it's not even close to our natural sebum? Oil on the hair would retain moisture, but added oil on the scalp would do what? I'm not telling anyone not to do it, i was just making an observation....

LadyJay114

i have to moisturize my scalp or else it'll be very dry and itchy, and my new growth will start matting.

i used to use African Pride Herbal Miracle Gro, but because of the petroleum, I had flakes and heavy dandruff for YEARS (and I didn't know why until I came to these boards).

now I use Parnevu T-Tree oil once a week and its great. No dandruff, no flakes. I just bought some WGHO so I'll try that out as well.

Tee

I oil mine with WHGO. I am trying to grow it out. I have been doing this for about a month. Before that, I never oiled my scalp and still had good growth.

Candy_C

i dont apply anything to it, only after a relaxer. i apply either art effex or la india after my relaxer...

grease on the scalp is bad news for me, i itch instantly. flaxseed will moisturize your scalp from the inside

carameldiva

I oil every nite. I have dry scalp/dry hair issues and this works well for me. Most days i will use a lite oil but on pre-poo days i will use castor oil which is much thicker and i have had success with it.

*ElleB

I don't oil my scalp because I learned that it is not necessary, however, I lubricate my NG because otherwise it will get matted!

LABETT

I have been using MTG every 2 days on my scalp with great results.
I greased my scalp with La India Wonder Creme and I must say my scalp loved it.

toniy

I dont use grease or oil sheen any more. When I did, I had lots of dandruff. I
now CW almost every day, so I dont seem to have buildup or dandruff. When I do moisturize and seal my hair, the stuff gets on my scalp anyway.

envybeauty

To each her own.

I used to grease my scalp with oil and it just made me itch. I then switched to using moisturizers (like Mango butter) and noticed I didn't itch. I used it when necessary and not on any schedule.

Likewise, my skin is normal in terms of oil production. Sometimes, I can go days without using lotion. Some days I need to use it. When I do use it, it is after I shower and it is with something that moisturizes like a creamy oil product.

Try using a moisturizer on your scalp instead of oil if you have trouble with oil on your scalp.

Dearlove

When I was relaxed, I never oiled my scalp. I washed twice a week and had the meanest itching on day 2 after the wash. After I BC' in 02, I began washing weekly and never oiled my scalp. By day 3 after the wash, I got the itchies. In September of this year, after lurking here forever, I tried MTG twice a week. The itching stopped! My daughter also experienced mad itching and flakes as she approached wash day. I started using sulpher 8 on her scalp once a week after washing. No itching! I thing the sulpher makes a difference for us. If the sulpher could be delivered to the scalp without oil, we wouldn't oil

C

CaliJ

I just oil my hair, not my scalp. As a little kid my mom use to grease my scalp, but that was a long time ago. :)

bellesocialite

I lightly grease my scalp once a week after washing my hair. I've tried to get away with it in the past and my hair was not having it. The scal was dry, flaking and itchy and my scalp NEVER gets like that so I went back to greasing it.