How often do you relax your hair?

Tickin4Gold

My hair is fine and super coily. I swear the curls are like little bedsprings. I can't get a comb thru those coils/curls at 4 weeks post relaxer.
I lose more hair if I try to stretch my relaxer than if I just perm it every 4 to 6 weeks. I know it's probably not healthy but I relax every 4-6 weeks.

By the way, I am a new member and this is my very first post.

So, how often do you relax?

Attachments

• Hairback.JPG
    Hairback.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2642.JPG
    IMG_2642.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 71

SilkyandSmooth

Welcome!

Normally it's every 12 weeks. My next two touch ups will be at 10 weeks because I'm going on vacation in early July. I want to get a touch up as close to my vacation as possible.

ETA: What kind of conditioners are you using? Maybe you can try one that'll help you with your new growth.

Tickin4Gold

Wow, I have never made it that far. I cannot keep my hairs from coiling up, and so it gets tangled all the time. I need help!

MamaBraidedIt

Hi.

What is your regimen?

Have you tried a detangling shampoo, conditioner or leave in?

Lots of women on the board use a product called S-Curl to help them tame and soften their new growth.

Hope that helps.

wheezy807

I normally relax every 12weeks, but i'm in the Hide Your hair Til April Fools Challenge so i will probably relax at 16 wks.:D

Mariaat40

I relax every twelve weeks. After a certain point, I only comb my hair in the shower while the water runs through it. That works for me because I work out and conditioner wash my hair several times a week.

la flaca

I usually relax my hair every 3 to 4 months but I think that every 3 month is good. I am now 6 months and looking forward to see my hair straight again.

CAPlush

Mariaat40 said:
I relax every twelve weeks. After a certain point, I only comb my hair in the shower while the water runs through it. That works for me because I work out and conditioner wash my hair several times a week.

I think this is a good bet. This is also how I manage my new growth, it is a lot like yours, except I have more 4b mixed in. You should search for the "most slippiest conditioner" thread and pick a few of these to try out. The most popular conditioner for new growth seems to be Silicon Mix. Also, you are going to have to invest in some decent combs, for example a Jilbere shower comb to detangle and a high quality smaller toothed bone comb.

ravenmerlita

I texturize every 3 months but have been thinking about lowering this to every 2.5 months as my hair start shedding badly at 3 months. By texturize, I mean I put in a relaxer for 5-7 minutes.

trulyurangel82

My hair is fine and my new growth is coily like yours too.
I can barely comb it the 6th or 7th week. I sometimes relax at 6 weeks but Im going to go back to 8 weeks when I get my hair straight. Right now im underprocessed.

I cant go over 8 weeks. I start to shed.

gimbap

My new growth is just like that!

I relax whenever my hair becomes unmanageable, usually around 7 weeks.

LawyerBarbie07

I'm like that too....I generally relax every 6-8 weeks simply because my hair is horrible after 8 weeks. I've found that myhair sheds and breaks at the line of demarcation no matter what I do.

I think relaxing at 4 weeks is too soon but there are plenty of ladies here who do it every 6 or 8 weeks and have long gorgeous hair. The trick is taking care of it in between. Good luck!!

bklynLadee

I just got a relaxer and I don't really like it...I got a touch up in January, and before that I had gotten a touch up in October...I have decided that I am going to stretch my relaxers out.

I am not an expert but I am a LHCF Junky! I am here everyday more than once a day just soaking up information and there are many posts about moisturizing, protein treatments and not combing your hair.

Many women say that in order to stretch their relaxer they put a lot of moisture on the demacaration, the two different hair textures that meet (new growth and processed) Its very weak and dry at that part so they add moisture to keep it from breaking, and also a lot of women have reported that they don't comb their hair unless they are washing it out or Co washing it and they let the running water do most of the detangling.

So maybe, you can just put ur hair in more protective styles and avoid combing and brushing your hair so that in can stretch?

That's my plan. So far I have not combed my hair since saturday and I am going to see how much shedding I have tomorrow when I co wash it.

HTH

Tickin4Gold

Thank you for all your suggestions ladies. I will try to stetch my relaxer to 2 months (God help ME!!)
I will also try the S curl. I have recently been using aphogee reconstructor and protein treatment, hopefully I see some improvements in strength.

The middle back of my head drives me crazy, the hair is soo dam soft and curly. It's like my hair has 2 different textures. It also breaks very easily in that spot.

You don't know how many times I have had to cut my hair, just so I can even up that section with the rest of my hair!

Choklatekiss79

My new growth is similar to yours. Im making my first 12 week stretch. I have found that conditioner washes 92-3 per week) and using S Curl with some type of moistrizing conditioner on the hair while wet has helped my new growth.

Im in my 9th week now and only comb my hair in the shower while its soaked with conditioner. Then I let it dry about 60%, apply a moisturizer (S Curl), then a conditioning oil. Then I section it (about 8-10 sections)with my fingers, make twists, coil them around flexi rods, and go to bed. The next day I have nice little wavy coils, and I never need to comb it.

Choklatekiss79

My new growth is similar to yours. Im making my first 12 week stretch. I have found that conditioner washes (2-3 per week) and using S Curl with some type of moistrizing conditioner on the hair while wet has helped to make my new growth manageable.

Im in my 9th week now and only comb my hair in the shower while its soaked with conditioner. Then I let it dry about 60%, apply a moisturizer (S Curl), then a conditioning oil. Then I section it (about 8-10 sections)with my fingers, make twists, coil them around flexi rods, and go to bed. The next day I have nice little wavy coils, and I never need to comb it.

bajanplums1

I relax every 3 months. I had trouble stretching in December because it was so cold, So I relaxed 8 weeks apart, Jan 15. My hair was shedding and breaking like crazy all of Jan and Feb. But, I was determined to go back to stretching. I was able to have success with Keracare shampoo and conditioner. Since using it, I am still stretching, with no significant breakage or shedding. I plan to relax in April or May. April will put me 4 months (16 weeks) post relaxer.

I wear my hair in a low manipution style. I think finding the right conditioner is key to stretching.

Last edited:

Tickin4Gold

I don't really have a regimen. I wash once or twice a week, I deep condition maybe once a week. I tend to air dry if I am feeling lazy or I will blow dry halfway and then pull my hair back in a pony tail and wrap with a silk scarf.

I used to flat iron alot because I like the straight look, but my hair is so uneven I don't do that much anymore. My hair is pretty much always in a pony tail.

MamaBraidedIt said:
Hi.

What is your regimen?

SweetCaramel1

welcome :)

i relax every 3 months. i can go longer in the winter do to minor growth. 8 weeks seem like a long time but after you see the benefits of stretching you'll want to go as long as you can.

Catina72

nikkipoo said:
I usually relax every 12 weeks, but this time I think that I am going to wait a little longer

Same here Nikkipoo! I hope Henna helps calm my newgrowth some too....:look:

kedra70

I relax every eight to 10 weeks. I'm not all that concerned with new growth - I tend to double up on the deep conditioning the last four weeks. Also, I really have to be careful because I have highlights in my hair.

nomoweavesfome

I go every @11-13 weeks and my hair is fine. I keep Nexxuss emergencee on it every week and deep condition every week. As I getclose to the 10 week mark, I can't comb, I have to really just wig it out.

But ZaZa have you ever thought about transitioning?? I think your new growth is beautiful.

csmoot

I am new too and I have been just lurking soaking for the last couple of months. For the first time I stretched my perm to 8 weeks based on all the great LHCF guidance. At first I noticed a tremendous amount of shedding (but I was shedding a lot anyway) but afterwards the shedding decreased immediately.

There are definitely benefits to stretching. I have found that condition, condition, and more condition is the best thing you can do. It is difficult to comb in the 8th week I just part it with my fingers and just put conditioner on the roots and wear it up. It looks puffy and nappy but I am all about my hair right now. If you are a hard cardio person (gym) it makes it even harder to stretch but keep putting plenty of conditioner in your hair and try to stretch again. The benefits are so worth it.