How often you moisturize hair in a protective style?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I never really moisturize my hair in a protective style. I use a thick conditioning gel before I put in braids for under a wig or crochet hair but through out the life of the style I do not moisturize anything. I just oil my scalp sparingly. I feel like moisturizing helps shorten the life of the style.

I'm thinking of doing long term protective styles (2-4 months) so im wondering if I should be moisturizing ot not? Does anyone recommend any kind of moisturizer or should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

oneastrocurlie

I use some type of braid spray or light spray leave in (diluted) 1-2 times per week. I don't oil my scalp because that causes build up for me. I'll cleanse my scalp if I'm keeping something in past two weeks.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I wear my twists for 6-9 weeks normally. Lately I haven't been putting anything in my hair for the first month. I'll start to moisturize every few days with s curl after the first month.
When you moisturize with S Curl, do you apply it on the roots, ends or entire strand? Do you wet the hair at any point, before or after applying SCurl?

icsonia22

When you moisturize with S Curl, do you apply it on the roots, ends or entire strand? Do you wet the hair at any point, before or after applying SCurl?
I apply it mostly to the ends but I'll spray the entire strand with the roots as well. I don't apply any water before or after. The only time water alone touches my head is on wash day or if i get caught in the rain. When i apply products to wet hair, my hair feels like a brillo pad when it dries.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I apply it mostly to the ends but I'll spray the entire strand with the roots as well. I don't apply any water before or after. The only time water alone touches my head is on wash day or if i get caught in the rain. When i apply products to wet hair, my hair feels like a brillo pad when it dries.
Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail. I appreciate it.