How old are your ends really?

CarLiTa

I've seen many times on this board "you have to baby your ends, remember, they are the oldest part of your hair"

I do agree with that. But a few weeks ago, I told my sister, with all the trimming and cutting we've done since being relaxed, our ends are probably only 4 years old at the most!
we had measured our hair:look: and we were both about 24-25 inches. So, if hair grows at 6 inches a year, then the oldest part of it is 4 years old, no?

Why, then, do they sometimes seem to be the hardest part of the whole head to take care of???
I mean, 4 years is not THAT old!
I don't know, I'm just venting.

ravenmerlita

Good point. I try to think of hair as a fabric -- if I had four year old t-shirt or sweater that I wore everyday, washed and dried a couple of times a week, and handled in between it would be somewhat worn, maybe even fragile.

nappity

Good point. I try to think of hair as a fabric -- if I had four year old t-shirt or sweater that I wore everyday, washed and dried a couple of times a week, and handled in between it would be somewhat worn, maybe even fragile.

Thats a great analogy! I think my ends are about 3 years old but Im not sure cause once my hair got to a certain length, I would just cut it down. Now that I'm on LHCF I wont be cutting it any more- I'm learning to deal with length and width!