How the heck do you do yours?.....

Angkin73

Ladies! How the heck do you put your products in your hair and keep your curls from frizzing?:wallbash:

I need to know:
1. How you dry(after rinsing).
2. what you use.
3. how you apply.

I don't mean keeping your curls by using curl defining products. I mean, when using your moisturizers, butters, oils, etc...

I have read that when you wash, cowash, dc, whatever, and then rinse, its best to let your curls airdry. But you have to appy your products! I put mine in when my hair is damp. I can't stand to let my hair drip dry.:nono:

I usually shak out what water I can, then mash a damp wash cloth to my hair to get out the excess. Then, I rub or spray in what ever I need to put in, or run my fingers through my hair to apply (thinking this might keep the frizzies down). :rolleyes:

But as usual my curls frizz up and I have a fizzy TWA. I don't know any other way to get the dang stuff in my hair and be sure that its getting all over it! It does dry with some definition but even more frizz. I don't want to have to use curl defining products all the time. :wallbash:

Last edited:

Ivonnovi

Are your hair strands fine textured?

I'm not natural yet but I do believe that fine textured hair is more prone to the frizzies. Mine is.

You may not be a candidate for the WNG. Perhaps somehow twisting and doing a twist/braid out would be more effective in controlling the frizz.

I'm on my way to natural so I'd like to know the answer to this too.

vlucious

Ladies! How the heck do you put your products in your hair and keep your curls from frizzing?:wallbash:

I need to know:
1. How you dry(after rinsing).
2. what you use.
3. how you apply.

I don't mean keeping your curls by using curl defining products. I mean, when using your moisturizers, butters, oils, etc...

I have read that when you wash, cowash, dc, whatever, and then rinse, its best to let your curls airdry. But you have to appy your products! I put mine in when my hair is damp. I can't stand to let my hair drip dry.:nono:

I usually shak out what water I can, then mash a damp wash cloth to my hair to get out the excess. Then, I rub or spray in what ever I need to put in, or run my fingers through my hair to apply (thinking this might keep the frizzies down). :rolleyes:

But as usual my curls frizz up and I have a fizzy TWA. I don't know any other way to get the dang stuff in my hair and be sure that its getting all over it! It does dry with some definition but even more frizz. I don't want to have to use curl defining products all the time. :wallbash:

the products i use are either fantasia IC gel, Long Aid Curl Activator Gel, Tresseme Creme Leave in, Sunsilk Leave-ins (hydra tlc, captivating curls), Miss Jessie's, Cantu Leave In, and some i cant think of. most of those arent curl defining products, i usually put on my products on while im in the shower under the water (including moisturizers). it has greatly improved my curl definition and eliminates frizz and i usually plop with a cotton shirt to dry and thats it dont touch it!

ETA: FOR THE FRIZZIES: have you tried doing a protein treatment? when i first bc, my hair was frizz city! and then i did some dcs with eggs, mayo, avocado, etc. i think the main reason i dont get the frizzies is cause i have my moisture/protein balance down. hth

Last edited:

AsTheCurlzTurns

I need to know:
1. How you dry(after rinsing). Just airdry and that's it.
2. what you use. ~I use whatever styler I'm going to use, let's say I'm going to use some IC Fantasia gel for example, I'll do my normal co-wash, then while hair is still soaking wet, I'll apply a leave in, then put the gel on top.
3. how you apply. The leave-in I just put a bit in my palms and rub it together in my hands and apply to my hair making sure it's evenly distributed. Then I'll take some of the IC Fantasia Gel and just rake it through my hair with my fingers. Once out of the shower, I will style it with my fingers very carefully and either slap a headband, scarf or nothing at all and go.

This is a method I was just experimenting with on soaking wet hair. I'm assuming it's because of my distributing the leave-in while in the shower, the excess water comes out then. And it works just perfect for me. And I don't get the frizzies this way at all, but I definitely know what you're referring to though.

My answers above in blue.

LadyEuphoria007

I almost passed out when I read the smash and rub! LOL

I have fine hair and anything that isn't a spray gets applied in the shower while my hair is still soaked.

My leave-in is V05 condish. Stick my head under the stream of water so it's dripping. Apply condish with my head back in a raking fashion. Turn off the water and shake it like a wet dog.
Not only does it rid my hair of excess water but it also "slides or slings" the product down to my ends giving me elongated looking curls. (They can't really look that dang long though my hair is only 4inches)

I spray glycern mix on when I get out the shower and that's it.

I put a towel around my neck to get the juicy drippies as I dry off and apply makeup. :locks:

If I were to smash or rubs I'd look like a fur ball. :hair:
:lachen:

lilsparkle825

I have fine hair and anything that isn't a spray gets applied in the shower while my hair is still soaked.

My leave-in is V05 condish. Stick my head under the stream of water so it's dripping. Apply condish with my head back in a raking fashion. Turn off the water and shake it like a wet dog.
Not only does it rid my hair of excess water but it also "slides or slings" the product down to my ends giving me elongated looking curls. (They can't really look that dang long though my hair is only 4inches)

I put a towel around my neck to get the juicy drippies as I dry off and apply makeup. :locks:

i think i wrote the above post. my leave-in is VO5 so i put that in (but sometimes i shake and sometimes i squeeze). sometimes when i get out of the shower i seal with oil, and if i do it is in sections. i drape a t-shirt around my neck and sit around till it dries.

what is this plopping thing? i need a refresher.

Angkin73

I think my hair is med to fine. Some times I get shed hair that are very very thin.

ETA: FOR THE FRIZZIES: have you tried doing a protein treatment? when i first bc, my hair was frizz city! and then i did some dcs with eggs, mayo, avocado, etc. i think the main reason i dont get the frizzies is cause i have my moisture/protein balance down. hth

Thank you! I will sure nuf try applying in the shower. I did a aphogee treatment b4, but that was b4 I bc'd. I haven't done one since. I do dc about once a week or so , but I have mever tryed it with my groceries.....:lachen: I used the Aphogee 2 step protien treatment. It made my hair really hard. I also used the balancing moisturizer afterwards but it didn't seem to help with the feel of my hair. I wonder, can you just use the balancing moisturizer by it self?

thats to funny.:lachen:
I do the shake thing to, but I have to quit after bout 3 shakes cause I feel dizzy. I am going to try applying in the shower in the moring. I'M SO EXCITED!

what is this plopping thing? i need a refresher.

It's the way another poster dryed thier hair using a cloth.
I personally mash, myself.:lachen:
(I did try using a t-shirt on my hair, and it worked alittle better)

Mom23

Well, I have only been natural for a month, but this is what I do. :drunk:

I co-wash in the shower and in a spray bottle I mixed Giovanni Direct and water and when I get out I spray my hair with that and then rub curl activator gel on and that's it. I just let it dry like that, and my hair hasn't gotten frizzy yet and it stays moist all day. :yep:

I only have about a inch of hair, so ...:lachen:

I hope you find something that works.

AtlantaJJ

I'm not natural yet but I do believe that fine textured hair is more prone to the frizzies. Mine is.

You may not be a candidate for the WNG. Perhaps somehow twisting and doing a twist/braid out would be more effective in controlling the frizz.

I'm on my way to natural so I'd like to know the answer to this too.
I have fine natural hair as well and I do not see myself being able to do a WNG without a serious curl defining product or by doing the the twist out braid out if I want any type of definition / no frizz to my fine hair. It looks beautiful dripping wet, but no product on there... I can't see it. I am interested to hear what some of the vets have to say myself.

AtlantaJJ

the products i use are either fantasia IC gel, Long Aid Curl Activator Gel, Tresseme Creme Leave in, Sunsilk Leave-ins (hydra tlc, captivating curls), Miss Jessie's, Cantu Leave In, and some i cant think of. most of those arent curl defining products, i usually put on my products on while im in the shower under the water (including moisturizers). it has greatly improved my curl definition and eliminates frizz and i usually plop with a cotton shirt to dry and thats it dont touch it!

So you put the products on while your hair is dripping in the shower. What does plop with a T-Shirt mean? :grin:

AsTheCurlzTurns

Omgosh the above bolded had me cracking up!! LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I do the shake thing to, but I have to quit after bout 3 shakes cause I feel dizzy. I am going to try applying in the shower in the moring. I'M SO EXCITED!
I can't do the shaking thing neither for this very reason alone! I be seeing stars after trying to do that LOL

Thanks, I have left conditioner in while my hair was still wet, and it didn't drip as much, hardly any. I don't know why I didn't think of it b4.
Yep, I've done it that way with conditioner also when using it as a leave-in.

Well, I have only been natural for a month, but this is what I do. :drunk:

I co-wash in the shower and in a spray bottle I mixed Giovanni Direct and water and when I get out I spray my hair with that and then rub curl activator gel on and that's it. I just let it dry like that, and my hair hasn't gotten frizzy yet and it stays moist all day. :yep:

I only have about a inch of hair, so ...:lachen:

I hope you find something that works.
Hey nothing wrong with that! I, too, only had an inch, and 1/2 inch in other areas and did this same thang. I couldn't help but to RUB and SMASH.:grin: But hey at least it was purrrtyy!! LOL:lol::lachen:

Angkin73

Oh! I can use the Aphogee balancing moisturizer alone. I just answered my own question... by reading the back of the bottle.....sometimes I amaze really myself :lachen:

I think I will add this to my leave in spritz. :yep:

BillsBackerz67

For my hair the more wet my hair is with products the more defined my curls are and the less frizz. takes long as hell to dry so I only do this when its super hot out. other wise I wring my hair out once and add products.

Angkin73

I have fine natural hair as well and I do not see myself being able to do a WNG without a serious curl defining product or by doing the the twist out braid out if I want any type of definition / no frizz to my fine hair. It looks beautiful dripping wet, but no product on there... I can't see it. I am interested to hear what some of the vets have to say myself.
I know what you mean. My twists outs look great and not to frizzy, till I start playing in it. Lol.

I refuse to stop doing WNG's tho. Even if I do have to use curl defining products. I do use gel, and it does great with definition. I love, love, love the Long Aid Activator Gel. The IC Fantasia leaves my hair hard when I rinse it out. I'm using the red and clear bottle. I can't find the one that I hear is more moisturizing.

AtlantaJJ

This is great stuff!! I have been guilty of the smash and rub!! No wonder I get the :hair: going on!!! :laugh:

I got to get into the shower shimmy now!! LOL

Angkin73

OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! IT WORKED! :dance7:

Thank you all so much, I would never have thought to do it this way! The drips are annoying, but I will suffer it for great curls.

OMGosh, and my curls are so defined and no frizz! I just fell in love with my hair all over again!

OMGosh! I'm so giddy with excitment right now!!!:reddancer:

dripping wet hair with product added. (my hair curls up in big coils)

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! IT WORKED! :dance7:

Thank you all so much, I would never have thought to do it this way! The drips are annoying, but I will suffer it for great curls.

OMGosh, and my curls are so defined and no frizz! I just fell in love with my hair all over again!

OMGosh! I'm so giddy with excitment right now!!!:reddancer:

dripping wet hair with product added. (my hair curls up in big coils)
Yay Look at that pretty hair!!!! WooHooo :clap: :superbanana: