How to distill your own water

Serei

I don't know if this was posted before and I don't remember where I got this information, (hopefully it wasn't from here). I just came across this when I was going through my old files and thought it might be helpful for those of you who use distilled water.

Distillation involves boiling water and then collecting the vapor that condenses back to water. The condensed vapor will not include salt and other impurities.
<ul type="square">
[*]Fill a pot halfway with water.

[*]Tie a cup to the handle on the pot's lid so that the cup will hang right-side-up when the lid is upside-down (make sure the cup is not dangling in the water) and boil the water for 20 minutes.
[*]The water that drips from the lid into the cup is distilled [/list]

I've done something similar to make rosewater.
You get a large pot put something in the middle to capture the water. Fill the pot with rose petals around the smaller container and add water until it just covers the roses. Put the lid on upside down so the handle hangs above the smaller container in the middle. Simmer the water and roses until most of the water is gone. The water on the lid drops into the middle container and what you get is rosewater.

Hope that made sense

D

[ QUOTE ]
Serei said:
I don't know if this was posted before and I don't remember where I got this information, (hopefully it wasn't from here). I just came across this when I was going through my old files and thought it might be helpful for those of you who use distilled water.

Distillation involves boiling water and then collecting the vapor that condenses back to water. The condensed vapor will not include salt and other impurities.
<ul type="square">
[*]Fill a pot halfway with water.

[*]Tie a cup to the handle on the pot's lid so that the cup will hang right-side-up when the lid is upside-down (make sure the cup is not dangling in the water) and boil the water for 20 minutes.
[*]The water that drips from the lid into the cup is distilled [/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you distilling your own water Serei? It seems kind of easy. I am curious how it turned out.

I tried it Isis, but I didn't secure the cup well enough and it fell into the water. I gave up and bought distilled water but I do want to try it again. If I can save money, I am going to.

If all else fails and you want to distill at home you can purchase a distiller for a couple of hundreds of dollars. I have been using distilled water as my drinking water for more than 10 yrs now. I personally don't want to go through the trouble (time, heat, electrical expense, machine cleaning of build up, etc.) so I purchase distilled filtered water for 59 cents a gallon.

I have a pitcher with a Britta filter for drinking water and I use that water when I rinse my hair. This seems to work out pretty well.
Take care,
G
Rose.gif

Back