How To Grow Healthy Hair

J 3 a n i O u s

I was reading this Article on AOL Black voices. I think that most of the ladies already know the tips that the author talks about but one thing I don't completely agree with is the trims. Do you guys think it's absolutely necessary to get them every 8 to 10 weeks if you're taking care of your ends? And I don't know ANY of the products she is talking about. Have any of you heard or used any of these?

Get the Long Hair You Want
By Shirley Gordon, Strands Hair Studio

Many of us desire long, healthy hair. While genetics play a strong role in the length of your hair, you can promote growth with these healthful tips.

Trim, trim, trim. Visit a stylist biweekly. Every 8 to 10 weeks, ask your stylist to trim off the minimum amount, about an eighth of an inch. Only trim when your hair is dry, not wet. Split ends are easier to see when the hair is dry.

Get the blood flowing to the head. It stimulates the hair follicle and stimulates hair growth with nutrient-rich blood traveling to the scalp. Massage your scalp with your fingertips every day. Once a day, flip your hair upside down and gently brush dry hair from root to end. Exercising pumps blood to the heart, which gets blood flowing to the head.

Eat right. Make sure you are eating well-balanced meals. It's the best strategy for getting healthy hair and nails. If you need a supplement, vitamins A, B, C, and E are excellent, at least 300 to 500 mg.

Baby your hair strands. Use gentle moisturizing shampoos and conditioners and leave-in conditioners after every shampoo. Use a deep conditioner every two weeks such as Tony & Guy Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey or Lifetex lines by Wella.

Minimize your use of hot tools.The better shape your hair is in, the less you will have to take off every 6 to 8 weeks.

Avoid pulling the hair back into tight ponytails every day. This will stretch the hair and cause it to lose its elasticity and leave you with cowlicks and breakage.

Let your scalp breath. Don't use heavy oils on the hair. They only clog the hair follicles and prevent rapid growth. Use products such as Sebastian Laminates Drops, a light oil that will allow your hair to flow more naturally.

Live better. Minimize your vices, such as smoking, binge drinking, late-night partying and sunbathing. Bad habits like these will quickly show up in the form of slow-growing dry and brittle strands.

J 3 a n i O u s

Here is another article by the same author ..

Why Your Hair Is Thinning
By Shirley Gordon, Strands Hair Studio

So many members ask me why their hair is thinning. Many things can cause thinning hair, so it's hard to give a direct answer.

Chemicals, heredity, stress, menopause, medication and improper diet are some. More and more women are thinning as early as age 40. What can we do about it? After determining the source of the problem, we can care for our hair.

First, try to figure out what you did differently at the time your hair started to shed. For instance, did it begin after putting in a relaxer or color? Was it done professionally?

Without proper hair care, coloring and perming can cause hair to thin out over time. In fact, some people end up giving up these chemical treatments for this reason. Going natural allows the hair to rest and breathe. But pampering your hair may also help.

Once you've pinpointed the cause, here's what you can do to help nurture your hair back to health:

• Keep heat off the hair as much as possible.
• Always condition your hair after shampooing.
• Massage the scalp twice a week with oil like Herbal Complex 4 by Design or Vitamin E, which stimulates the scalp and allows the closed follicles to open.
• Drink lots of water and take folic acid, a B-vitamin that helps maintain healthy hair and may aid in preventing hair loss.
• Depending on how badly your hair is thinning, consider a hair replacement system.
• If the problem persists, seek the help of a dermatologist. Let's be good to our hair and love it like we love ourselves.

hairmaster

I tell new clients to see me every 8-10 weeks even if I don't do their relaxers, to trim
their hair. This allows me the benifit of being able to see the hair after a relaxer has been given, and to remove the weake dead ends that make it harder for the client to keep from damaging the hair. I've had clients that let their daughters wrap their hair and do damage to the hair after they come in and I have to do some serious cutting, she stoped wrapping hair. So even if you don't think it's necessary to get ends trimmed every 8-10 weeks, alot can happen to your hair in that amount of time.

Hmmm... regarding the trims: I regulary got my hair trimmed every, and I mean ever 8 weeks for years. Now I get it trimmed about every 10 weeks and my hair hasn't suffered for it. In fact, I've seen more length.

Queenie

I rarely trim, only 2-3/yr. I don't have split ends, so it's not a problem. :p

I'm not familiar w/those haircare products either. The other tips sound good to me.

J 3 a n i O u s

hairmaster said:
I tell new clients to see me every 8-10 weeks even if I don't do their relaxers, to trim
their hair. This allows me the benifit of being able to see the hair after a relaxer has been given, and to remove the weake dead ends that make it harder for the client to keep from damaging the hair. I've had clients that let their daughters wrap their hair and do damage to the hair after they come in and I have to do some serious cutting, she stoped wrapping hair. So even if you don't think it's necessary to get ends trimmed every 8-10 weeks, alot can happen to your hair in that amount of time.

:eek: I've been wrapping my hair for as long as I can remember except when I'm stretching relaxers. Does wrapping your hair really damage the ends??

hairmaster

J 3 a n i O u s said:
:eek: I've been wrapping my hair for as long as I can remember except when I'm stretching relaxers. Does wrapping your hair really damage the ends??

If done carefuly no wrapping is not damaging, I think the wrapping was being done with a nylon brush and not carfuly so the hair at the crown that was getting most of the abuse was damaged in this case. she also wore the wrap style all day not allowing the hair to be loosened. she had a lot of brakeage.

Ayeshia

Unless you already have healthy hair and you're not trying to maintain a cut or shape..then no.

CatSuga

Trim, trim, trim. Visit a stylist biweekly. Every 8 to 10 weeks, ask your stylist to trim off the minimum amount, about an eighth of an inch. Only trim when your hair is dry, not wet. Split ends are easier to see when the hair is dry.

I'm not cool with this trim trim trim stuff.
I've been growing my hair for the past 6 months and my ends are perfectly fine. I guess it all depends on the health of the hair

Sweet_Ambrosia

J 3 a n i O u s said:

Hmm well if your hair isnt damaged why trim it, with the exception of wanting a neat/even appearance I can understand, but this is just another way for stylist to keep their customers coming back to them IMO. So its not absolutely necessary to trim ends that often if your ends are healthy.

esoterica

CatSuga said:
I'm not cool with this trim trim trim stuff.
I've been growing my hair for the past 6 months and my ends are perfectly fine. I guess it all depends on the health of the hair
ditto! i've not trimmed yet this year (except for making bangs), and i dont plan to any time soon. my ends are never exposed so there isnt much chance for them to split. once i get closer to my goal then i will trim. right now i need every inch i can get.

hairmaster

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

Hmm well if your hair isnt damaged why trim it, with the exception of wanting a neat/even appearance I can understand, but this is just another way for stylist to keep their customers coming back to them IMO. So its not absolutely necessary to trim ends that often if your ends are healthy.

A neat/even appearance is also a proffesional appearance. Hairstylist have to eat you know, so keeping the client coming back is the way we get paid.
If we don't do our best then the client wont be back.

MeechUK

MeechUK

This sounds like dusting to me! It really does make a difference, you lose very little hair but believe me, your hair grows faster, more healthier and will thank you for it. From what I have read on this forum, this article really does not tell me anything new. If you have limited funds do it yourself, no offence to stylists!

MeechUK