How To Grow & Retain 20" Of 4c Hair

ForestRose

Her hair :love::love3:#goals. I love her styles. It's exactly how I want my hair to be within the next few years.

I'll be honest I'm always skeptical of these videos. I've watched a lot of them and followed bad advice from women who didn't really do anything out of the ordinary to make their hair grow. Worse is that most of them either have hair that's actually 4B, 4A or 3C. Tt's not that hard to tell the difference :spinning:

I like that she I she just keeping it simple with her advice and not selling people a dream. It's refreshing.

AgeinATL

Her hair :love::love3:#goals. I love her styles. It's exactly how I want my hair to be within the next few years.

I'll be honest I'm always skeptical of these videos. I've watched a lot of them and followed bad advice from women who didn't really do anything out of the ordinary to make their hair grow. Worse is that most of them either have hair that's actually 4B, 4A or 3C. Tt's not that hard to tell the difference :spinning:

I like that she I she just keeping it simple with her advice and not selling people a dream. It's refreshing.

This is becoming a real problem. I am seeing more and more people claiming that they are 4C and they are CLEARLY not. It's almost like click bait. I get that the hair typing system is confusing for some but if you have big a** shiny, juicy curls, you know darn well you aren't a 4C. It is becoming very deceptive and it must be annoying for those who truly are 4C.

ForestRose

This is becoming a real problem. I am seeing more and more people claiming that they are 4C and they are CLEARLY not. It's almost like click bait. I get that the hair typing system is confusing for some but if you have big a** shiny, juicy curls, you know darn well you aren't a 4C. It is becoming very deceptive and it must be annoying for those who truly are 4C.
Yep I know it is for me. I don't watch YT hair videos like I used to but the other day I came across this...?

Like yes her hair may be 4c if she has heat damage but that is 4a from root to tip. Her roots would be kinky. People in the comments must've called her out because she disable them lol. Her hair is gorgeous but why claim 4c for brownie points

AgeinATL

Yep I know it is for me. I don't watch YT hair videos like I used to but the other day I came across this...?

Like yes her hair may be 4c if she has heat damage but that is 4a from root to tip. Her roots would be kinky. People in the comments must've called her out because she disable them lol. Her hair is gorgeous but why claim 4c for brownie points

This was the EXACT person that I was thinking about and you are correct, she purposely disabled her comments. She is claiming it for views...SMH.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

I was watching a tracey KISS video and she was saying she thought she was 4c for years and as her hair grew out, she was claiming 4c, because that's what she thought, until someone told her to stop because she wasn't. She is not 4c; possibly 3b-c at its finest. Her curls are way looser than mine. She corrected herself but for her, it was the stigma behind Black hair that made her think that. I thought the same thing too, so I think for some, they do think they have 4c hair.

Now when you claiming for clicks, let's just agree to swipe left because that's wrong. I personally find it offensive when people claim to be 4c when they are because it's deceiving. Let the real 4c's live; don't claim a type for clicks. There are people who need real life advice and these faux types are not going to help.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Interesting.

I see the beauty in each one -- 4a, 4b, and 4c hair -- but I admit that came me watching so much hair on YouTube. People who know how to keep their Type 4 hair healthy and nicely styled show its beauty!

When I see those 4c YouTubers detangling their hair so quickly, I'm jealous! I think 4a hair is challenging in some regards: If dense AND fine, woooo, the 4a tangles! When I find myself wishing for 3a, 3b, or 3c hair, it's not about the look (I like my 4a coils' look!), it's about the tangles. But, I have to remind myself that the little girls around me pick up on my frustrations and may perceive it as not liking my hair's look, so I'm trying to be more cognizant of it.

Keen

Only real 4Cs understand this. Other people thinks it's all the same and that we just don't know how to tell type. So I just go by people's hair who looks like mine. I don't focus on "type" when I'm on youtube.

AgeinATL

I was watching a tracey KISS video and she was saying she thought she was 4c for years and as her hair grew out, she was claiming 4c, because that's what she thought, until someone told her to stop because she wasn't. She is not 4c; possibly 3b-c at its finest. Her curls are way looser than mine. She corrected herself but for her, it was the stigma behind Black hair that made her think that. I thought the same thing too, so I think for some, they do think they have 4c hair.

Now when you claiming for clicks, let's just agree to swipe left because that's wrong. I personally find it offensive when people claim to be 4c when they are because it's deceiving. Let the real 4c's live; don't claim a type for clicks. There are people who need real life advice and these faux types are not going to help.

It's funny that you mentioned her because I had thought of her as well. She was saying that her hair was 4C so when she did the BC, I was confused but I actually see your point. :yep:

It just must be so frustrating for 4Cs. For SO long they were ignored and once people realized how large the 4C population is, now everybody wants to take advantage of that group...just for clicks. Girl....

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
This was the EXACT person that I was thinking about and you are correct, she purposely disabled her comments. She is claiming it for views...SMH.

LOL, I thought of her too, but only because I posted her vid in one of the Lucia's long hair threads. I fully expected someone to comment about her 4c hair claim.

As far as other 4c fakers, it seems to me like youtube newbies want to get quick popularity by preying on 4c viewers thirtsy for ways to moisturize their hair into a different curl size.

AgeinATL

LOL, I thought of her too, but only because I posted her vid in one of the Lucia's long hair threads. I fully expected someone to comment about her 4c hair claim.

As far as other 4c fakers, it seems to me like youtube newbies want to get quick popularity by preying on 4c viewers thirtsy for ways to moisturize their hair into a different curl size.

Girl, ALL OF THIS.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

They want those YouTube checks too :abducted:

sweethair

Her hair is beautiful!! But that's not 4c hair, its 4b. Her edges and her wash video you can see her curls. 4c hair has tiny coils or z patterns. It's so textured it doesn't reflex light even when moisturized. Her hair isn't like that she has defined curls. It's very hard to find true 4c youtubers. dephne madyara, protective princess and naturally high have true 4c hair. I'm sure there are more. But most are claiming 4c for the likes.

faithVA

I think after 4a it's difficult to narrow down to 4b, 4c because the hair can look so different depending on what you wash it with, how it dries etc. It also changes with length. So if the person thinks they are 4c and it's close enough I roll with it. I have seen a few heads IRL that I'm pretty sure were a 4c because it just looked so different than my own.

Tefnut

I definitely think the hair typing system is flawed but if I had to catergorize that lady's hair, I'd say she's 3c (it looks very healthy too and her shrinkage is almost nonexistent compared to many ladies).

I consider the lady in the video below to be 4a:

Last edited:

GGsKin

Her hair is beautiful!! But that's not 4c hair, its 4b. Her edges and her wash video you can see her curls. 4c hair has tiny coils or z patterns. It's so textured it doesn't reflex light even when moisturized. Her hair isn't like that she has defined curls. It's very hard to find true 4c youtubers. dephne madyara, protective princess and naturally high have true 4c hair. I'm sure there are more. But most are claiming 4c for the likes.

I agree with you. I was gonna say my hair looks nothing like hers and I think I have 4c hair.

Some would say my brother has 4c hair (I think he's 4a), and although his curl size is small, his hair is more coily and shinier than mine. I can make shiny finger/ comb coils with ease in his hair, where I don't think it'd work with my own (please excuse the photo quality).2017-03-29_09.54.16.jpg

Britt

I remember that for years. I'd watch her videos and she seemed to see her hair as kinkier than how it really is. I figured she'd never go natural. She looks elated as a natural now, but I think it's because she realizes her hair isn't as tight/nappy as she thought it would be. Her hair is a 4a at best and thick and gorgeous.

sweethair

This is what true 4c hair looks like wet, Keep in mind this is after a smoothing treatment. I normally would have more shrinkage. There are tiny coils and z patterns throughout 20170329_092053.jpg this is what my hair looks like with conditioner. I have heat damage in the front of my hair. The only reason you see my coils somewhat enlongated is because of the smoothing treatment. 20170329_092617.jpg

sweethair

Napp queens shrinkage is real and her hair may be coarse. I'm not sure what her type she is. But I'm sure that she isn't 4c. @AbsyBlvd our hair would not have the same results if we did her twistouts or rollerset tutorials. That's what frustrating 4c hair is hard especially fine 4c hair which is what I have. You have to find true 4c to get realistic results. 4c dont have baby hair laying down like napp queen and our hair doesn't look like that when wet. I think she doesnt know what 4c hair really looks like that's why shes claiming it. But if she watches real 4c youtubers there's no way she can say her hair is the same.