How To Grow & Retain 20" Of 4c Hair

bubbles12345

I think I have a 4b/4c mix. I see coils of different sizes in the bathroom tub. I just don't know which part of my hair is which. Hopefully a stylist can tell me.

larry3344

interesting....i was writing a blog on this exact subject. A lt of mainstream naturalistas have some kind of curl/coil patterns. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who markets to the pure cottony hair type. People want to aspire to wash n go hair while seeming like they market to everyone when they dont.

This is why people shouldn't be overly critical of those who claim they have tougher hair. 4C no definition hair naturalista needs are not met in the natural hair community and now are being pimped for views that is not cool

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@MizzBFly and @AbsyBlvd I would consider y'all to be 4a, due to the way the hair clumps. 4b can clump, but the shrinkage is higher due to having pensprings, which I have. True 4c cannot clump at all, wet or dry.

@MizzBFly @AbsyBlvd I agree. Absy, I've always defined you as 4A. Both of you have O and S curls but seem to have more of a cottony or threads texture. I unfortunately, 4A is kinky-curly hair; depending on the style, hair can appear curly or kinky. After a few days, 4A hair can just begin to look neglected and take on a kinkier appearance, but it's just how the type acts.

IMG_1094.JPG

This is my hair on wash day. I put my hair in dookie twist and wear a bun all week. This is what my hair looks like the next week.

IMG_0779.JPG This is a regular twist out. And what happens a week later? The first picture.

I also have thicker hair strands, so that can also create more weight, further elongating hair.

MizzBFly

@MizzBFly @AbsyBlvd I agree. Absy, I've always defined you as 4A. Both of you have O and S curls but seem to have more of a cottony or threads texture. I unfortunately, 4A is kinky-curly hair; depending on the style, hair can appear curly or kinky. After a few days, 4A hair can just begin to look neglected and take on a kinkier appearance, but it's just how the type acts.

View attachment 394775

This is my hair on wash day. I put my hair in dookie twist and wear a bun all week. This is what my hair looks like the next week.

View attachment 394801 This is a regular twist out. And what happens a week later? The first picture.

I also have thicker hair strands, so that can also create more weight, further elongating hair.
Unfortunately my A&$...your hair is gorgeous sis :flahssssss:Shiny still after a full week? that's amazeballs Even if you had to remoisturize your hair is truth. It's obvious you take care of it very well!! :yep:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
See this looks like me too ...larger coils in the front smaller coils in the back...lol this tread is insightful, cool & confusing at the same time tho
View attachment 394823
You're hair is beautiful. This thread has me all confused, I'm loving all the pictures. You're coils look similar to mind.

@Saludable84 I've always thought our hair was very similar also.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
This is my hair freshly washed. You can see tiny curls on the end but not throughout my hair. I can get definition if I shingle in product. If I let it dry like this it would shrink down more.

I am neck length and been on this board forever trying to figure this hair out.
View attachment 394739
Are your sheds more like "S" instead of "O"? I think your hair is in the wirey range, determined to defy gravity.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
just posted a photo of old wash and go sheds.
Your hair is mostly "S" (which I affectionately call kinky-wavy or crinkles for the few on my head) and wants to coil up on the ends. This is similar to whites who have wavy hair but the ends curl for some reason (visual representation only). That junction of coil and crinkle is the weakest point on your strands. Dry combing is your greatest enemy, right?

Alma Petra

See this looks like me too ...larger coils in the front smaller coils in the back...lol this tread is insightful, cool & confusing at the same time tho
View attachment 394823
So lovely, both the lady and the hair!

I think that my natural hair is also similar to yours guys but I don't get as much definition unfortunately except in small areas. So what is the consensus on what we are to be called now? 4a? And the parts that refuse to clump are 4c?

ETA: funny how I have for long thought that I'm 3c/4a and I'm now considering the possibility of being 4c in some (or maybe most) areas! Wow!

beingofserenity

I almost see my hair in yours but I could be wishful thinking. My individual strands are finer than sewing thread:
View attachment 394837

Mine is too. I thought it was normal for hair to be finer than sewing thread. And fine hair is smaller than half the width of sewing thread. Coarse hair would be the same width as sewing thread? I guess my hair is fine as well?

MizzBFly

So lovely, both the lady and the hair!

I think that my natural hair is also similar to yours guys but I don't get as much definition unfortunately except in small areas. So what is the consensus on what we are to be called now? 4a? And the parts that refuse to clump are 4c?

ETA: funny how I have for long thought that I'm 3c/4a and I'm now considering the possibility of being 4c in some (or maybe most) areas! Wow!
:infatuated: Thanks but I honestly, truly believe all textured hair can curl or clump 4c or otherwise. It's just finding the technique and product:yep:

Last edited:

Alma Petra

:infatuated: Thanks but I honestly, truly believe all textured hair can curl or clump 4c or otherwise. It's just finding the techniqe and product:yep:

Amen to that, sis! I haven't yet given up on my natural hair. I love clumping and definition. But to be honest I have only been dealing with the roots so far. I think I should transition long term to see what I can get.

So what's your technique for definition? I have tried clay washing, oil rinsing and shingling so far and they all don't do nothing for me :cry: The only thing that works for me for definition is relaxer :pullhair:

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I think what can be confounding is the strand thickness. Fine strands tend to be more cottony than course oned.

My theory for this (just a theory) is that since 4A hair is more likely to be LoPo and 4c seems to be more likely HiPo, it accounts for why 4A's have similarities that contrast with 4C's which create the major differences.

If 4A is likely to be LoPo it will hold more moisture and won't lose its shape easily. Whereas 4c is HiPo, will lose moisture and lose the curl (shrinkage, kinky) easily.

Likely doesn't mean it will always happen. But I'd researched this once and started putting some of this together

Mische

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I love this thread. I want to play too! I've always considered my hair to be 4c. Both attached pictures are my freshly washed wet hair (although the first one looks dry... it's not). You'll see the very, very, ends of some pieces will resemble a super tiny curl, but that's it. My individual strands are extremely fine. A lot of them are practically see-through.

I am past waist length and I STILL struggle with detangling my wet hair. I see folks talking about combs "gliding" through their wet hair with conditioner applied and I cannot. get. that. to. work. My hair type simply doesn't seem like it can be combed much, so I generally finger detangle a little and then just get to it when it's dry.