How to Maintain Straightened Natural Hair

Southernbella.

I am going to get my hair rollerset and maybe blow-dried at a Dominican place this Friday. I am very nervous because since going natural (I'm in my 4th year), I have never had my hair straight (not even blow-dried). Before then, my hair was 3-5" of damaged, relaxed hair and I knew nothing about hair care. So, basically, all the hair care techniques I know are for nappy hair and I have no idea how to maintain straight hair.

I want my money to be worth it (so I don't want my hair reverting to natural in two days or something) and my hair is about waist length at this point, so that is a lot of straight hair to keep safe from moisture and whatever else can make hair revert.

Any suggestions? How can I keep my hair from reverting until I'm ready for it to do so? Please help.

I'm really, really nervous about getting my hair straightened...

Well, first of all, you're my new inspiration!:grin: Gorgeous hair that makes me want to stop straightening mine.

I'm not fully natural yet, but I'll answer anyway. I second wrapping, or doing Sylver2's nighttime scarf method. Both of these help my hair stay flat and straight. My nape usually reverts first, but I just leave it alone because you can't see that part anyway.

JustKiya

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Good question. Thank you for asking it.

1. The fact that mere roller setting to get one's hair cut into a shape is anathema on that board illustrates the kind of insanity that results when groupthink is rampant and no one is allowed to question. The inhabitants of Jonestown suffered from the same kind of intellectual inbreeding, and we see how they ended up.

2. Not to toot my own horn, but ain't nobody on that board got nothing on me when it comes to being a nappy soldier. I been keeping it nappy and I'll stay keeping it nappy long after many of them have capitulated b/c my decision is neither the result of peer pressure nor is it the result of being propped up by a peer group. I have stood firm in my hair, my politics, my vision without ever wavering because I saw my truth years ago and it changed my life. Some of them posers wish they were as resolute as I am. So they can all bite my a.ss ten out of ten times they disagree with me.

Anyone on this board who wants to start a thread over there should waste no time--do it right this minute--and should rest assured I won't be defending myself over anything to anyone, especially not on that board EVER (and yes, I can still access that board--terror! :grin:). Those who need extremism and fundamentalism in order to travel their hair journey are not strong enough to have anything worthy to say to me.

SPEAK IT SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen:
Can I get an AMEN!?!?

And a real quick WTF, cuz sisters have the TIME to be tripping like that? For REAL? :nono:

sonce

SPEAK IT SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen:
Can I get an AMEN!?!?

And a real quick WTF, cuz sisters have the TIME to be tripping like that? For REAL? :nono:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:Sista thank you for the support. If you have not been on that board then you cannot begin to understand how much time some people have for tripping. I understand the relaxed v. natural issue on that board--pretty straightforward, I think. But all the further subdivisions into the board is meant for 3c to 4b but let's argue over 3b and up, no color, no heat, no braid-/twist-outs, no henna, no curl-enhancing products, no using anything but berries and dung otherwise you're not natural can work a sista's nerve. It's one thing to be trying to encourage sistas but to be trying to bully folks over arbitrary **** like that? :drunk:

Last edited:

glamazon386

I hope that your straighten experience will be great!:yep:
I copied it from an old thread:

TO Prevent Flatironed hair from reversion

• Bun it and wrap in a scarf wrapping it and putting on my silk scarf
  • Before bathing: wrap it with a silk scarf first and then wrap it with a terry cloth cover(tissu éponge). You can either use a regular towel or get the ones that are specially made for the head.
  • I wrap my hair with a silk scarf first then pull the shower cap down low on my forehead. I also make sure not to wash my face in the shower. I found that I push my shower cap up and all of my edges would be getting wet. So now I wash my face at the sink before I get in the shower
  • keep my night head gear on under my shower cap. Also most nights I pin-curl my hair so that keeps stray hairs from sticking out and it also keeps the roots flat and the ends protected .
HTH

I agree with this post. I usually wrap my hair and wear a silk scarf. My hair isn't that long so it works for me. Since your hair is long, it might be a job to wrap all of it and it might not wrap straight. So you might have to pin curl it. After I put my scarf on, I put a bonnet on top. When I shower in the morning, I keep the scarf and bonnet on under my shower cap. I wait until the last moment possible to unwrap my hair (usually in the powder room downstairs. The steam from my shower lingers in my bathroom upstairs for a while.). While it's straight I don't add anything to it because I don't want it to revert.

Nola Darling

What do you ladies do about your hair when exercising to prevent reversion???

I wear my hair in a super high and secure pony tail so that the sweat doesn't get to my hair too much. Then I wear a scarf as a head band to keep my edges down. It's not cute but that's not the point:grin:

brownsugarflyygirl

Didnt read the other responses...feeling lazy :look: but I'm on Day 7 of my pressed hair and this is what I do:

1 - Carry a silk bonnet with me at all times in case of increased humidity in the air. This was helpful this weekend as I was in a snowy climate. Im quick to throw that cap over my hair.

2 - Use a light oil like sweet almond oil to reduce friction and to protect against moisture. It seems that oil in hair keeps it from reverting as quick but sweet almond is so light that you dont lose any of your swang.

3 - Wrapping nightly is a must...its helps keep it sleek.

4 -I also keep it wrapped when showering and take luke warm instead of steamy showers. I also keep it wrapped while washing face and am careful to avoid my edges.

5- If my body temperature rises for some reason and there is a slight chance of sweat touching my hair...I will pull it up using my hands or a band...but I dont keep it banded more than like 30 minutes as I dont want it to crease my hair. I did this when I went roller skating this weekend.

Ummm...thats all I can think of for right now....I will come back and add more if I can think of anything else.

brownsugarflyygirl

*bump* Another question: what would you guys do to prepare your hair for (the possible trauma of) being done by a hairdresser?

Im reading through the thread now for future tips :grin:

I deep conditioned my hair the night before for about 20 minutes with the hooded dryer and then just let the conditioners stay in under a baggy over night...then just rinsed out and did a covered pony for the day. It seemed to work out well.

brownsugarflyygirl

1. The fact that mere roller setting to get one's hair cut into a shape is anathema on that board illustrates the kind of insanity that results when groupthink is rampant and no one is allowed to question. The inhabitants of Jonestown suffered from the same kind of intellectual inbreeding, and we see how they ended up.

2. Not to toot my own horn, but ain't nobody on that board got nothing on me when it comes to being a nappy soldier. I been keeping it nappy and I'll stay keeping it nappy long after many of them have capitulated b/c my decision is neither the result of peer pressure nor is it the result of being propped up by a peer group. I have stood firm in my hair, my politics, my vision without ever wavering because I saw my truth years ago and it changed my life. Some of them posers wish they were as resolute as I am. So they can all bite my a.ss ten out of ten times they disagree with me.

Anyone on this board who wants to start a thread over there should waste no time--do it right this minute--and should rest assured I won't be defending myself over anything to anyone, especially not on that board EVER (and yes, I can still access that board--terror! :grin:). Those who need extremism and fundamentalism in order to travel their hair journey are not strong enough to have anything worthy to say to me.

Wow...I totally agree with that. I think that being natural is about learning to embrace and love your texture and all the variations that you can achieve with it. When I was transitioning due to my line of questioning I was promptly ushered over to LHCF and have been here ever since...that was like two years ago...LOL :grin: I can do without the "extremism and fundamentalism" found over there.

Enjoy your straightened hair Sonce!!

ladylibra

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: you are my new hero for that one!!!

poetist

Sonce,

I sooo love your hair. I've been a fan of your fotki for months now. In another thread, I listed you as one of my hair inspirations, but always referred to you as Kemi. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I realized that Sonce was Kemi21.

Anyhow, Good luck with the Dominican Shop. Im sure that your hair will look marvelous. And yeah, post pics in your fotki for us fans!!!!

berry87

Sonce your hair is sooooooooooooooooooooo beautiful. Its thick , healthy and lush!!!!!! I cant wait to see it straight :lick::lick::lick:

fivetimestwo

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Sista thank you for the support. If you have not been on that board then you cannot begin to understand how much time some people have for tripping. I understand the relaxed v. natural issue on that board--pretty straightforward, I think. But all the further subdivisions into the board is meant for 3c to 4b but let's argue over 3b and up, no color, no heat, no braid-/twist-outs, no henna, no curl-enhancing products, no using anything but berries and dung otherwise you're not natural can work a sista's nerve. It's one thing to be trying to encourage sistas but to be trying to bully folks over arbitrary **** like that? :drunk:

Firstly, Sonce your hair is gorgeous!!!!

Second: It just dawned on me that my hair did not thrive until I came to LHCF. I mean it was growing, but not THRIVING. I think I was getting brainwashed with the "juices 'n berries" mentality. It wasn't working for me, but I believed the hype. Whew! Glad I came to my senses :lachen:

Blossssom

Your hair is very lovely, Sonce...

Good luck with the straightening and...

:needpics:

Just kidding... you haven't even DONE it yet! LOL!

I've always wanted to use that smiley, though. Haha! :)

Blossssom

Thanks so much!

More suggestions are welcome, please. Products to use before setting? after setting? daily?

Thanks for your product recommendation, Yodie.

You know who you should call out if she hasn't been in here already? RABS!

Her hair is 100% natural and she straightens! Her hair is gorgeous too!

Makes me wanna go natural, but I ain't got the gut :p

Blossssom

For those of you tired of reading my lil rollerset/flat iron story, I apologize. But for Ms. Sonce- 1st & 4most, I love your hair. It is an absolute thrill to see someone with type 4 hair breaking the length barriers. CONGRATS!!! I didn't go to a Dominican salon but I did rollerset & flat ironed my own hair. I've been tying it up according to Sylver's instructions instead of wrapping it & my hair is still bouncy & light like it was the 1st day I did it - 3 days ago. I oil my ends with Vatika nightly b4 I tie it up. And of course I put on a couple of scarves & shower caps to avoid moisture when I'm in the shower. HTH

So you rollerset your hair and then flat iron? What's the rollerset do for it?

Also, doesn't the hair have to be "trained" to stay straight?

My mother presses her hair and has been doing so for the past 35 years and her hair has NO kink in it, even when wet.

isobell

HMMMPHH!!! Spoken like a true Naija :lachen:!! Please don't hurt 'em. You have very beautiful hair; I'm sure your hair will look lovely. You are such an inspiration.

:lachen:I was about to say the same thing, i wanted to clap after i read that

scarcity21

Thanks for the link! And thanks to the other ladies in the thread whose posts I have not individually commented on. I have read all the posts and I appreciate all the suggestions. Thank you all for being helpful. If you ever need tips on creating ultrasmooth braids, just ask a sista!

me me me...i need tips!

ClassicBeauty

So you rollerset your hair and then flat iron? What's the rollerset do for it?

Also, doesn't the hair have to be "trained" to stay straight?

My mother presses her hair and has been doing so for the past 35 years and her hair has NO kink in it, even when wet.

Rollersetting first gets most of natural waves/curls out without direct heat. Once my hair is dry, I brush the roller curls out and then flat iron it. That way, it's much less direct heat from the flat iron and NO blowdryer. Because it was rollerset first, my hair maintains some body and the ends still seem to bump after I flat iron it.

I believe that the fact that I rollerset first is the reason my hair can take a press every week or two without damage.

Also, my hair is in NO way trained. Everytime I wash it, it goes right back to BIG, DRY, WAVES. When it's flat-ironed, it's silky and straight.:spinning:

I explain it all better in my journal. I know you didn't ask me in particular, but I thought I would share.

Sunshine0801

I am going to get my hair rollerset and maybe blow-dried at a Dominican place this Friday. I am very nervous because since going natural (I'm in my 4th year), I have never had my hair straight (not even blow-dried). Before then, my hair was 3-5" of damaged, relaxed hair and I knew nothing about hair care. So, basically, all the hair care techniques I know are for nappy hair and I have no idea how to maintain straight hair.

I want my money to be worth it (so I don't want my hair reverting to natural in two days or something) and my hair is about waist length at this point, so that is a lot of straight hair to keep safe from moisture and whatever else can make hair revert.

Any suggestions? How can I keep my hair from reverting until I'm ready for it to do so? Please help.

I'm really, really nervous about getting my hair straightened...

So did you get the rollerset? If so, :pics::grin:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

What do you ladies do about your hair when exercising to prevent reversion???

I excercise 3-5 days a week and you can just forget about your style lasting ESPECIALLY if you sweat a lot in your head like i do. There are times when I leave the gym and myhair is drenched

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I hope no one has done/did this. What is written here needs to stay here. That is all that I will say about 'that' place