How To Maintain Your Hair While Working Out

Hello Ladies,

I am a 24 year old college graduate and I'm relatively new to this forum, but I've been reading up on all the topics, and you guys are truly an inspiration and I've gleaned alot of useful information from you, so I thank you for that!

This topic is for all the ladies who stay active trying to keep that body right and tight in the gym. It has probably already been addressed, but I'm really curious as to how you maintain your hair-do while working out? I Just started going to the gym about a month or two ago, and so far, I've just been wrapping my hair and putting a scarf on. But I don't know if thats working too well because I sweat in my scalp (as do we all when active) and so when I take my scarf off, my hair is damp, and in combing it out, it just looks blah! I like how my hair looks when I just get it done, full of volume and what not, but I know that working out 4-5 days a week will counteract the volume, however I still want my hair to look decent throughout the week until I wash it. Also, do you wash your hair after every gym session?

Just a little background, I've been relaxing with Mizani for about 4-5 yrs now. I have 4b type hair that is at my neckline right now (I was almost to brastrap, but recently had to get a major cut due to my failure to properly take car of my hair and my hair being way uneven). I use to wash every two weeks, but now that I'm working out 4-5 days out the week, I'm trying to wash and deep con once a week, alternating between the salon and doing my hair at home (if I can learn how to rollerset right, than the only time my hair dresser would see me is when I need a touchup). And Finally, I relax every 10-12 weeks, and I plan to stretch even longer once my hair gets longer and I figure out a regimen to maintain the new growth. If you have any suggestions for that let me know.

THANKS LADIES

(Sorry for the novel :) )

Lovestyr

I personally just keep my hair in bun while working out. and deep condition after. I try to only deep condition my hair once a week. but i try to go to the gym at least three times a week now. SO bunning wprks for me. I can reall work up a sweat without hairing being in my face and stuff.

Thank you Prettyeyez for your speedy reply. Yes, a bun sounds good. My hair right now is not long enough to do a bun anymore since I cut it, but I was thinking maybe a high ponytail would do the trick. Do you where it in a bun all week long, or just put it in a bun when you go to to the gym and take it down for work and stuff?

beans4reezy

I run three to four times a week.

Bunning and cowashes are my best friend. While working out, I keep my hair in a bun or pinned up and I co wash in the shower. After I cowash, I add my leave-ins and oils, I pin my hair back up, and I tie a scarf around my edges and just go back to sitting at my desk like that.

ajoyfuljoy

I get bored with buns. So I am wearing my hair in a constant braidout (braiding hair, putting little rods on the end, let it dry or sit under a dryer, take out braid and finger comb) (either down or in an updo). I pin up the hair while I'm exercising but pull it back down when I'm done. That way, my hair looks cute but I'm not having to stress over keeping it straight with heat.

Thanks Ladies! Really Appreciate it! Beans4reezy, so you do that each time your work out? Do you ever where it straight. I cut my hair from almost BS to Necklike length, so it's hard for me to just throw it up in a bun like I use to! And ajoyfuljoy, do you cornroll the hair, or just make individual braids? My cornrolling skills are not up to par! lol. Again, thinks for all the help guys.

brucebettye

I just wear my hair in an afro puff. It is so easy because I sweat so much all over my body and this is the easy style for me becasue even when I sweat my hair looks the same before I workout. I also walk 5 days a week and I wash my hair at least twice a week.

suburbanbushbabe

My hair is natural and usually in a wash and go. If I work out I make sure it is dry (wet hair working out is a disaster). And I gather it up into a loose pony puff to keep the sweat in my hair to a minimum during workout.

iNicola

I used to work out 5 - 6 days per week and when I do, I keep my hair in a bun and baggy my bun when I'm doing floor/ab workouts since I'm laying on my back. I wash/cowash 2 -3 times per week.

Bianna125

I workout about 4 times a week.

When I workout at home I wear my tiny anorexic bun and maybe a scarf. But when I go to the gym I wear a small phony bun or puff over my ponytail baggy.

When I get home, I cowash, moisturize and seal, then put on another phony pony or half wig. I hate having sweat in my hair the rest of the day. Doesn't sweat dry it out?

Tanji

I get bored with buns. So I am wearing my hair in a constant braidout (braiding hair, putting little rods on the end, let it dry or sit under a dryer, take out braid and finger comb) (either down or in an updo). I pin up the hair while I'm exercising but pull it back down when I'm done. That way, my hair looks cute but I'm not having to stress over keeping it straight with heat.

Okay, ajoyfuljoy, here's where I need your help. I had my first braidout, well really a twist out. It was so humid, it lasted only one day! All that work for one day! Also, when you braid yours, what product do you put in it? Do you rebraid it every night and then pull it out? Help!!!