• We will be upgrading the forum, gallery and blogs with the latest versions of the software we use. This will cause some disruption. We will however try our best to minimize it. The maintenance will start the first week of May 2022 and will continue until all upgrades are completed (both software and hardware). Thank you for your understanding.

How to maintain your Not So TWA??

PinkishlyNoire

So, new question: I did a Big Chop back on New Year's and have quite the little Fro going on, but I was wondering how you guys maintain your not so TWA's? My hair is about 3 inches stretched and about an inch or so shrunken. I usually flat iron my hair, have began wearing it kinky in the past few weeks and I LOVE it, so would like to keep it natural most of the time.

So, do I have to wash it every day? Its pretty cold here in the Northeast...
I baggied it a few times, just for the sake of manageability, but my hair is still wet in the morning. I thought about trying to cornrow/flat-twist it at night, but I don't think my skills are that good and it would still leave my kitchen out. I tried the kinky curly that I bought for my daughter, but just didn't like that (maybe I didn't do it right on me or my daughter) so
I need some ideas.

So, today, I'm going to try the Curl Spray stuff and some Gloss pomade and hope it works, but PLEASE help me out you guys! I don't want to get discouraged and press it back out. Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm rushing out the door.

Pink,

theeREALmccoy

I think my hair is just a tad bit longer than yours but what I've been doing is twisting my hair individually with a moisturizer and a styler..once it's dry, I take them down for a twistout & wear it as long as it looks good...usually about 3-4 days depending on how bad I sleep lol...fluff it in the morning and go! I cowash & repeat! It's low manipulation & cute!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I wear twists, flat twists, braids, twist outs, braid outs, picked out fros etc. I don't let the length of my hair hinder me from styling my hair. I have about 4-5 inches right now and I have been twisting my up ever since I had 2 inches of hair. You are welcome to check out my fotki album or my blog for ideas :)

GeauXavi

exactly what ms-gg said.

also...when my hair was about your length, i did flat twists into a phony puff...i would vary the direction in the front for variety. After that started to fuzz (2 days), I would rock a half wig with a head band over the flat twists for about 2 days, then twist-out for the weekend.

PinkishlyNoire

Ok, so I see I have to get my braiding/flat-twisting skills up!! lol! But now I have some questions:
Mccoy: What do you mean individually curling your coils? I think I'm doing a variation of that. I moisturize it and kind of pull the coils straight out and they snap back into the cutest little coils, but I would like a little more "uniformity".

The puff: I don't can't wear phonies, they give me headaches. So, if I wanted to do a puff, should I just brush it up into a puff while its wet? Hmmm.

Nonie: I know that right! My hair doesn't get tangled over night, but it just loses shape. I think I will try to plait (sp?) it up tonight.

looks like I have a date with the business end of a rattail comb tomorrow, lol.
Thanks Ladies!!!

theeREALmccoy

Ok, so I see I have to get my braiding/flat-twisting skills up!! lol! But now I have some questions:
Mccoy: What do you mean individually curling your coils? I think I'm doing a variation of that. I moisturize it and kind of pull the coils straight out and they snap back into the cutest little coils, but I would like a little more "uniformity".

The puff: I don't can't wear phonies, they give me headaches. So, if I wanted to do a puff, should I just brush it up into a puff while its wet? Hmmm.

Nonie: I know that right! My hair doesn't get tangled over night, but it just loses shape. I think I will try to plait (sp?) it up tonight.

looks like I have a date with the business end of a rattail comb tomorrow, lol.
Thanks Ladies!!!

Sorry, lol i should've been more clear. I do individual two strand twists. For example, this go round, I cowashed, & then two strand twisted my hair using Qhemet Alma & heavy olive cream as a moisturizer and ORS twist and lock gel. People say that the cream should be used as a sealant only, but my hair loves it! And the lock and twist gel is really not a gel....more like a pudding?? Its hard to describe but it doesn't leave my hair hard at all. The mix of the two gives a bangin' twistout...soft & super defined for days! :grin:

ETA: this is a good method for those like myself who can't flat twist OR braid :nono: ... Its also quick! Twisting my whole head only takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Last edited: