How to maintain your Not So TWA??

PinkishlyNoire

So, new question: I did a Big Chop back on New Year's and have quite the little Fro going on, but I was wondering how you guys maintain your not so TWA's? My hair is about 3 inches stretched and about an inch or so shrunken. I usually flat iron my hair, have began wearing it kinky in the past few weeks and I LOVE it, so would like to keep it natural most of the time.

So, do I have to wash it every day? Its pretty cold here in the Northeast...
I baggied it a few times, just for the sake of manageability, but my hair is still wet in the morning. I thought about trying to cornrow/flat-twist it at night, but I don't think my skills are that good and it would still leave my kitchen out. I tried the kinky curly that I bought for my daughter, but just didn't like that (maybe I didn't do it right on me or my daughter) so
I need some ideas.

So, today, I'm going to try the Curl Spray stuff and some Gloss pomade and hope it works, but PLEASE help me out you guys! I don't want to get discouraged and press it back out. Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm rushing out the door.

Pink,

theeREALmccoy

I think my hair is just a tad bit longer than yours but what I've been doing is twisting my hair individually with a moisturizer and a styler..once it's dry, I take them down for a twistout & wear it as long as it looks good...usually about 3-4 days depending on how bad I sleep lol...fluff it in the morning and go! I cowash & repeat! It's low manipulation & cute!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I wear twists, flat twists, braids, twist outs, braid outs, picked out fros etc. I don't let the length of my hair hinder me from styling my hair. I have about 4-5 inches right now and I have been twisting my up ever since I had 2 inches of hair. You are welcome to check out my fotki album or my blog for ideas :)

GeauXavi

exactly what ms-gg said.

also...when my hair was about your length, i did flat twists into a phony puff...i would vary the direction in the front for variety. After that started to fuzz (2 days), I would rock a half wig with a head band over the flat twists for about 2 days, then twist-out for the weekend.

PinkishlyNoire

Ok, so I see I have to get my braiding/flat-twisting skills up!! lol! But now I have some questions:
Mccoy: What do you mean individually curling your coils? I think I'm doing a variation of that. I moisturize it and kind of pull the coils straight out and they snap back into the cutest little coils, but I would like a little more "uniformity".

The puff: I don't can't wear phonies, they give me headaches. So, if I wanted to do a puff, should I just brush it up into a puff while its wet? Hmmm.

Nonie: I know that right! My hair doesn't get tangled over night, but it just loses shape. I think I will try to plait (sp?) it up tonight.

looks like I have a date with the business end of a rattail comb tomorrow, lol.
Thanks Ladies!!!

theeREALmccoy

Ok, so I see I have to get my braiding/flat-twisting skills up!! lol! But now I have some questions:
Mccoy: What do you mean individually curling your coils? I think I'm doing a variation of that. I moisturize it and kind of pull the coils straight out and they snap back into the cutest little coils, but I would like a little more "uniformity".

The puff: I don't can't wear phonies, they give me headaches. So, if I wanted to do a puff, should I just brush it up into a puff while its wet? Hmmm.

Nonie: I know that right! My hair doesn't get tangled over night, but it just loses shape. I think I will try to plait (sp?) it up tonight.

looks like I have a date with the business end of a rattail comb tomorrow, lol.
Thanks Ladies!!!

Sorry, lol i should've been more clear. I do individual two strand twists. For example, this go round, I cowashed, & then two strand twisted my hair using Qhemet Alma & heavy olive cream as a moisturizer and ORS twist and lock gel. People say that the cream should be used as a sealant only, but my hair loves it! And the lock and twist gel is really not a gel....more like a pudding?? Its hard to describe but it doesn't leave my hair hard at all. The mix of the two gives a bangin' twistout...soft & super defined for days! :grin:

ETA: this is a good method for those like myself who can't flat twist OR braid :nono: ... Its also quick! Twisting my whole head only takes 45 minutes to an hour.

Last edited: