How to prevent the front of my crochet braids from getting wider?

abioni

I hate when the front of my crochet braids gets wider and wider and I still want to wear it for another week or two. How can I prevent or minimize this from happening?

MzSwift

Do you mean when your new growth makes your cornrows space apart?

If so, I think using a weaving net over your cornrows and then crocheting hair to the net will work. Like this:

1673711014572.png 1673711041656.png

It's what I do when doing the "Lazy Girl" method for my crochet installs bc there is no cornrowed base. HTH! :)

ETA: If you're wanting to preserve your current install, I would think you could to the same thing with just a portion of weaving net by removing the crochet hair from your cornrows and then lay a cut portion of weaving net across the top. Then reattach the crochet hair through the net and your cornrows and fill in the gap areas by crocheting onto the net only. But I'm not sure if you think it's worth doing all of that just to preserve the style another week.

Last edited:

MzSwift

Well, shut my mouth! They have pre-braided caps too?!
I think you just helped me revolutionize my crochet installs!!
My hair gets so tangled when I cornrow the base so I've been just doing plaits. I'm gonna try one of these pre-cornrowed caps and save some time/headache. And when the new growth comes in, there won't be a gap ;)

abioni

Do you mean when your new growth makes your cornrows space apart?

If so, I think using a weaving net over your cornrows and then crocheting hair to the net will work. Like this:

View attachment 486181 View attachment 486183

It's what I do when doing the "Lazy Girl" method for my crochet installs bc there is no cornrowed base. HTH! :)

ETA: If you're wanting to preserve your current install, I would think you could to the same thing with just a portion of weaving net by removing the crochet hair from your cornrows and then lay a cut portion of weaving net across the top. Then reattach the crochet hair through the net and your cornrows and fill in the gap areas by crocheting onto the net only. But I'm not sure if you think it's worth doing all of that just to preserve the style another week.

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I meant when the new growth makes the braids looks wider apart.

The net idea sounds good but I don't want the net to show in the front. I want my scalp to show only.

MzSwift

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I meant when the new growth makes the braids looks wider apart.

The net idea sounds good but I don't want the net to show in the front. I want my scalp to show only.

So in the "Lazy Girl" method, the net is cut where there is a part. HTH! :)