How to shampoo braids?

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I just got my hair braided this past Thursday. I usually wash 2-3 times a week. The stylist who braided my hair told me to wash once a week while in braids but continue to use the spray I made myself that contained distilled water.

My question is how can I wash my hair weekly without making the braids fuzzy. I need them to last for 8 weeks. She did suggest using the braid shampoo made by African Pride but I tried that before and hated it!

I am open for suggestions!

J

JenniferMD

I had my braids for 3 months and I washed my braids once a week and rinsed them with water every other day. I used my regular shampoo (a bottle cap full) in a cup full of water. I would plait my braids in four sections and pour the water/shampoo over the plaits. I did this process twice and then washed the shampoo out. (this entire process is done in the shower) The secret for your braids not to get fuzzy is to squeeze the braids with shampoo and then rinse with water.

I used that African Pride shampoo once and hated it too!

soslychic

I just got braids too and I was worried about them getting fuzzy when I washed them. But I used a clarifying shampoo (I had just gotten in chlorine water) and gently massaged my scalp and between the braids and I used the squeezing method too on the actual braid. I think the key is to not scrub or rub vigorously. Your hair will still get clean and a clean scalp is the most important thing anyway. I briefly conditioned (avoiding my scalp and the top of the braid so as not to cause build up) and rinsed. Then I sprayed with a light homemade moisturizing spray, pulled my hair in a ponytail and tied down with a scarf (very important for avoiding fuzzies) and now my braids looks exactly the same, still nice and together without frizz. I'm planning on shampooing only once every 2 weeks and rinsing (no condition rinses because I want to avoid build up on braids) about every week.
HTH!

Nonpareil

It's been a while since I had braids, but the last time I did, I used a mesh/net shampoo cap for braids so they would stay intact - the Hype Hair brand makes one, I saw it in Walmart.

koko22

But what about ladies who have natural hair underneath the braids? Can this sqeezing method still prevent fuzzies?

J

JenniferMD

[ QUOTE ]
koko22 said:
But what about ladies who have natural hair underneath the braids? Can this sqeezing method still prevent fuzzies?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had six months of newgrowth when I got my braids and the squeezing didn't make my braids fuzzy. This is a link to pictures of my 3rd month of braids:

http://public.fotki.com/JenniferMD/2004/march/

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
koko22 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I too have about 5 months of new growth and the squeezing didn't make my braids fuzzing either.