How to Successfully Straighten Natural 4B Hair

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by ProfectivGirl, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ProfectivGirl

ProfectivGirl New Member

Ladies I need advice asap! My sister has natural 4b shoulder length hair and wants me to straighten it out for her for a job interview. Ive tried several times (cosmetology student so its good practice) but I can never seem to get her ends as crisp and neat as the rest of her hair and theres always frizzies and fly-aways. And it always comes out poofy and big (she has very thick hair). How do you ladies successfully flat iron your natural hair yourself? Ive tried flat ironing, pressing, blowdrying then flat ironing, all the combinations but nothing is working for me. Also are there any products that will keep the hair straight and sleek and wont revert it back curly?

Sent from My Android ;)

2. mzteaze

mzteaze Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal

Media:
    Albums:
    I always have trouble with my ends until the last time. I used a tiny tiny bit of curl wax and it made all the difference in the world. Some seem to also have success with flat ironing then wrap the hair and cover with Saran wrap. Keep trying.

3. Spiffy

Spiffy New Member

4. MRJ1972

MRJ1972 New Member

I clarify the hair, use moisturizing shampoo and deep conditioner. Use CHI infra treatment for final rinse conditioner- make sure hair is rinsed well aka no conditioner residue.

Apply small amout of watery leave in ( infusium 23 or design essentials leave in), apply dime size amount of CHI silk fusion to wet hair. Blow dry in small sections and then flat iron in small sections using comb chase method.

Im typing from my phone so sorry about the format!

5. ProfectivGirl

ProfectivGirl New Member

Thanks for the thread Spiffy, would still like some more updated posts so bumping for more responses! Im more focused on how to get the ends to get flat and not bushy lol

Sent from My Android ;)

6. SuchaLady

SuchaLady Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P91PgqD5up0 Try this video. She is relaxed but she stretched long enough to be considered natural in my opinion

ETA: sorry somehow I missed the part about you asking about getting the ends smooth. My vid probably wont help then b/c she has relaxed ends :ohwell: Lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. djkforeal

djkforeal Member

Like someone else suggested, try the comb chase method and using a straightening serum like Chi Silk infusion or Argan Oil sparingly on the ends.

8. MRJ1972

MRJ1972 New Member

The comb chase method works wonders on your ends, along with small sections

9. halee_J

halee_J Well-Known Member

I don't have 4b hair but I used do get fuzzy ends when I flat iron sometimes. What I find even better than chasing with a comb is chasing with a soft boar bristle brush, it separates the hairs even better than the comb :yep: Big up to Napp who hipped me onto this.

10. hothair

hothair Well-Known Member

Most important is a very good moisturising DC the longer the better. Few products, liquid leave/heat protectant, dry her hair in a stretched style, if airdrying about four mini buns, or blowdrying pull/stretch the hair with your hands section by section as you dry, get a flatiron comb and straighten in small sections.

11. fatimablush

fatimablush Well-Known Member

12. Black Ambrosia

Black Ambrosia Well-Known Member

A good deep conditioner is key along with sufficient heat. I'd also invest in a titanium iron to get the job done a bit quicker. If the rest of the hair is straight but the ends are not, you either need to trim the ends or the flat iron is cooling off before the job is finished hence the difference in texture.

13. Bellamystic

Bellamystic New Member

Coconut oil, coconut oil, coconut oil... The extra virgin kind. I noticed when coconut oil was on my hair, it straightened smoothly and easily. I didn't even have to chase with the comb. Plus, it actually stayed straight far longer than it would when I straightened without it.

14. texasqt

texasqt Well-Known Member

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS!

15. westNDNbeauty

westNDNbeauty Well-Known Member

As others have said, definitely a good moisturizing dc is always your number one step. If after flat ironing her end are bushy, it prob is time for a trim. Please check the thread suggested and and I also have a video tutorial.