How to take care of bleached hair?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by Ericka, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Ericka

Ericka New Member

Hello everyone, i'm sort of new to the forum. Anyways, I just got highlights in which my hair was bleached first then the color applied. Now I never bleached my hair before and don't know what I should do to keep my hair healthy. I have started to use a leave-in conditioner (Garnier Fruitis) when blow drying and I aslo use their anti-frizz serum when I flat iron.

My question is, should I use an oil or light weight non greasy cream daily?

Here is a link to my fotki album, but I haven't posted pictures of my highlights just yet, but I will soon. http://public.fotki.com/LovinLayers/

2. ajoyfuljoy

ajoyfuljoy Well-Known Member

Wow, your hair is beautiful! I hope to be there sometime next year.

I had bleached highlights before, didn't know how to take care of them and ruined my hair. I wish that I'd deep conditioned more and used less heat.

Forgive me if my tips bore you, you probably already know this. There are a couple of people here who successfully take care of highlights and have healthy, full hair. I'm sure you will be another one of them :yep:

3. sareca

sareca Well-Known Member

I'd make sure to get some medium-to-hard protein treatments on the highlighted hair. :yep:

4. Filmatic

Filmatic New Member

I have some bleached part that I wish I knew how to treat better when I got them. They are doing much better now. I would recommend a cream, oil didn't seem to work will with it. Also I agree with the protein treatments and I can't mention deep conditioning enough.

5. Ericka

Ericka New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about doing a protein treatment. I will most definitely do one this week. Also, how often should I do a proteing treatment, and should it be done before or atfter a deep condition?

Thanks for all the help ladies.

6. pisceschica

pisceschica Well-Known Member

In addition to everythign the ladies already said you have to be EXTRA careful when you get a relaxer (if you relax your hair) to not only slather the highlighted hair with a protective cream. I did a roller set on a lady this past week and there was alot of breakage on her hair where the newly relaxed hair met the highlight.

7. Ericka

Ericka New Member

I don't have a relaxer. I've been natural all my life.

I think my problem is, I don't like to use products on my hair, which doesn't help to add moisture. The only thing I use on my hair is a leave in conditioner for blow drying and a Anti-frizz serum when flat ironing. Other than that, for the rest of the 6 days before washing my hair, I don't use anything on my hair. I know I have to use something, but I just don't like using products because they attract dirt which causes build up.

8. chebaby

chebaby Well-Known Member

i've been bleaching my hair for the past 6 yrs. when you bleach your hair you HAVE to keep it moisturized. i moisturize my hair morning and night and i do a deep condish once a week with heat. when you get bleach your hair must stay moisturized because it will break like no body's bidness

9. Ericka

Ericka New Member

CHEBABY what exactly do you moisturize your hair with? I normally don't moisturize my hair, only during the deep condition or the regular condition treatment.

I really need help with this because before this change, I never moisturized my hair before. Thanks for all the help.

10. chebaby

chebaby Well-Known Member

you have to find a moisturizer that works for your hair. i prefer thick butters like shea butter. when i use shea butter i seal it with an all natural oil like castor oil. i use to find that cremes with olive oil makes my hair hard but now i use hollywood beauty olive creme and it keeps my hair so soft. and i still seal it with castor oil. i moisturize my hair right before i go to bed and tie my hair up and then when i wake up i moisturize again. i know this is good for me because the first time i got my entire head bleached everyday there were long strands of hair all over the bathroom sink because all i did was grease my scalp with no moisture on the hair.

11. ItsyBitsy

ItsyBitsy Well-Known Member

Ericka your hair is beautiful...nothing else to add

12. Ericka

Ericka New Member

Thank You ItsyBitsy

13. xcuzememiss

xcuzememiss Well-Known Member

Bumping for more replies