How to tell if your MSM is pure: All MSM types!

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
Hello All!

I saw this online and thought some of you would find it interesting. Its just a portion of the article. Copy and paste this http://www.beta-glucan-info.com/msm/msm-information.htm#quality if you want to read the whole article.
<font color="red"> </font>
<font color="black"> </font> Animal grade MSM

The basic form of MSM was discovered over 20 years ago but long before studies were done for human nutritional use, it became widely used by race horse owners and vetinarians for successfully combating a wide range of animal complaints.

Animal grade MSM, commonly called "Horse Powder" is a basic and impure form of MSM suitable for animal use only. It can sometimes be detected by a very slight sulphur odour, also the crystals tend to be very small in size resembling a powder.

Pure MSM has no odour and the crystal size is generally larger.

A high specification laboratory report will reveal any impurities.

Incidentally, out of all the different types and brands of MSM available on the market, LIGNISUL MSM ™ was the first to be manufactured specifically for human nutritional use to exacting ISO 9002 purity standards. It was by far the purest sample tested.
MSM containing fillers

Fillers like magnesium stearate are added to many commercial products for bulking purposes i.e. it fills the tubs/capsules up.

One UK High Street brand of MSM capsules contains 25% filler. Talc (unscented) is another popular bulking filler.

If your MSM Crystals, powder or capsules contain filler - change your supplier !

Filler Test

There is a simple test which you can do to check if your MSM contains any of the basic fillers like Magnesium Stearate or talc.

How to :-

1. Depending which form it is in, simply dissolve the contents of about 6 capsules / four tablets or 1 (one) teaspoon of MSM in a glass of warm water (MSM dissolves more quickly in warm water).

2. In the case of Crystals, Powder or Capsules, after fully dissolved, the water in the glass should appear totally clear. If it has a milky or cloudy look it’s certain that it contains a filler/s. In the case of Tablets a small amount of Magnesium Stearate and Silicon Dioxide is generally deemed necessary to the tablet making process !

The above test is for fillers only - silicates and flow agents do not show up using this method

MSM containing silicates, flow agents and anti-caking agents

Silicates, flow agents and anti-caking agents are added commercially for product appearance and ease of packing.

If the MSM in a tub is like free-flowing powder it is certain to contain one or more flow agents.

Pure organic MSM forms naturally into larger crystals i.e.. The powder in your container should therefore appear like white lumpy crystals!

MSM in tablet form

Cheaper grades of MSM are generally used in tablets. The tablet binding process renders MSM less bio-available. However, we recently examined some tablets containing high quality organic MSM which has been compressed into tablets with a small amount of Magnesium Stearate and Silicon Dioxide.

Tablets are great to take to work or while on holiday, so although you loose a little on quality, you gain in convenience and ease of use!

MSM containing heavy metals

Some MSM contained small amounts of heavy metal content - Only high specification laboratory reports revealed these -Animal Grades and those imported from the far East should be avoided - see above.

Daughter

UK Blak
I haven't done the test yet but my Solgar's MSM has vegetable cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, vegetable magnesium stearate and silicon from silica... it's apparently a 1000mg dosage per pill. I think I'll test it later...

BlkMane

I also switched to Doctor's Best MSM (powder) and it is 100% pure. The only ingredient listed is: MSM

It dissolves completely in water. This is going to be my "staple" MSM powder from now on.

FYI- I've read that you shouldn't take MSM at night because it can keep you up (gives you energy). So, unless you want to stay up for some reason, take it during the day.

aikaa71

I use Holland and Barrett MSM- It is in a colorless capsule(you can see the powder inside the capsule)

I dont know how pure it is , will have to check

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Do you all get your Doctor's Best powdered MSM from the vitamin shoppe?
I think I'll try that brand.

tryn2growmyhair

I use GNC MSM capsules. They also contain Gelatin and Titanium Dioxide. Is this alright?

I was going to buy Puritan's Pride MSM powder. Is this alright?

cafe au lait

I use the lignisul MSM crystals, I read it is the highest quality nutritional sulphur. it is a 99.9% methyl-sulfonyl-methane. it contains no fillers or additives. I mix it in a glass of water mornings and evenings after food. it tastes bitter but I love it.

senimoni

tryn2growmyhair said:
I use GNC MSM capsules. They also contain Gelatin and Titanium Dioxide. Is this alright?

From what I read NO fillers are not OK. RE: Puritans Pride, it is not Lignisul or OptiMSM so I would not buy it, in addition it is overpriced even with the Buy 1 get 2 free, considering you can get 1lb of the good stuff for around $10.

http://msm-msm.com/shop/boutique2.html

sareca

tryn2growmyhair said:

I use GNC's MSM and it works like charm. I had great improvements in my skin, knees, allergeries and major ones in my hair. If it has impurities they must be helping. :lachen: Actually, I'm not worried about fillers. I live on the go and what I have works. Although $10/lb is almost too good to pass up. :think:

Last edited: