How will you be protecting your hair this summer?

HOTCHOCOLATE

I never use to worry about sun protection for my hair, but I'm starting to see more and more products for hair that are offering UV/UVB protection. Also I found a post which listed the top cities in the USA with the most damaged hair---inwhich I happen to live in the #1 city--Houston.

Most hair impaired cities in the USA

It may not be entirely their fault, but women in some major American cities have seriously damaged hair. That's the verdict of a new index that ranked the nation's top cities on the basis of how much damage has been wrecked on hair, based on a combination of consumer habits and environmental factors, including UV levels, relative humidity, precipitation, pollution and population. Taking first place: Houston, Texas. Followed closely, in order of infamy, by:

2. New Orleans
3. Los Angeles
4. Memphis
5. Detroit
6. Baltimore
7. Chicago
8. Oklahoma City
9. Tulsa
10. Dallas
11. Cleveland
12. Long Beach
13. Philadelphia
14. San Diego
15. Buffalo
16. Fresno
17. Washington, D.C.
18. Atlanta
19. Kansas City
20. Austin
21. Nashville
22. Charlotte
23. El Paso

The index was compiled by Procter & Gamble. One of the main causes of the problem, as diagnosed by none other than "American Idol" stylist Dean Banowetz? "Many of the women I see have no idea about the destructive effects caused by hot rollers, blowdryers, straight irons and other heat styling instruments," says Banowetz. "I have to use products like Infusium 23 to repair and transform my clients' overstyled and damaged hair."
In fact, hair damage is a serious issue for many women in the U.S. -- with more than 70 percent admitting to suffering from it. Even among women who say their hair isn't damaged, more than half regularly heat style, straighten and chemically process hair -- all activities which can seriously damage hair, especially in the spring and summer months when UV rays, chlorine and saltwater punish hair even more. Dr. David H. Kingsley, a board-certified trichologist who specializes in helping women with problem hair, is dedicated to the research and treatment of all types of hair damage, hair loss and scalp conditions. He offers these tips to protect hair from damaging elements during the spring and summer:

-- Wear a hat or baseball cap to protect the hair from ultraviolet rays
and heat from the sun which can cause hair to become extra dry and brittle
and to change color.

-- Apply a product with a sunscreen, such as Infusium 23 Heat Activated
Leave-In Treatment, with the same frequency you would apply sunscreen to
your body to shield it from the damaging effects of ultra violet rays.

-- Apply to the scalp, with fingertips, small amounts of lotion
containing at least Sun Protection Factor 15. This will help keep the scalp
from burning.

So, ladies I've got my hat and my sun protector for my hair ready for the summer (Korres Red Vine Year round Hair Sun Protection) http://www.lafcony.com/products/korres/haircare/personalised.htm

chocolate01

Thanks for the info. I've been interested in trying the Infusium 23 product they mentioned but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I usually dont weat hats but I think I may start incorporating them into my waldrobe. Also I think this summer i'll be wearing scarves a lot more.

Truth

good question, but then again i dont go out in the sun a lot..when the summertime comes.. i stay inside..

Mariaat40

Very interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Glad to see that Minneapolis isn't in the top 23 - although sometimes I wonder.

Ebony

I plan on doing the same as any other summer. I'm usually in Puerto Rico, Texas & Florida during the summers & usually weave for the summer or alternate between washngo's, twists & buns. No matter what, don't forget to keep your hair moisturized!

AnjelLuvs

I hate the summer, whether dealig with hair blowing all over place or getting stuck to skin. I will be doin a braidout like last summer and wash n go ponytails. Although I dont know how long the braidouts will last. My hair has gotten longer and last summer when I did it, my hair barely touched my shoulders, now I dont know.

Donda

Re: How will you be protecting your hair this summ

I will probably do Bantu Knot Outs all summer, and avoid all heat(curls/dryers). It is a nice to be able to wash it at night and in the morning unwrap it, finger it, and go

bellydancer

I want to wear wigs and baseball caps. one or the other. or both! i don't care. i want to experiment with color and texture so wigs would be cute.

Ayeshia

Dang Why did Buffalo have to be on there...oh well my hair counteracts his stats anyway

Spagirl

I plan to look into some natural sunscreens for the hair and protect my ends with a bun. It's hard for me to find a hat that works for me but I'll be looking for one. Thanks for sharing HC!

DatJerseyDyme

I always wear suncsreen on my face and BOTH of my leave ins offer UVA/UVB protection. I use them year round because you get most of your contact with the sun through incidental contact such as sitting in a car with the sun coming through a window than actually being in the sun.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Good Info. I will be using Tigi Bed Head Ego Boost on my ends all Summer. No direct heat! Misting with distilled water...and moisturizing with coconut oil.

Laginappe

Ok this may be a silly question - but what about protecting your scalp? I'm getting my hair braided for vacation and I'm worried about the sun on my scalp. Should I be? I can't imagine putting sunscreen on my scalp...but it is skin...but I dunno... Ideas???

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:
Ok this may be a silly question - but what about protecting your scalp? I'm getting my hair braided for vacation and I'm worried about the sun on my scalp. Should I be? I can't imagine putting sunscreen on my scalp...but it is skin...but I dunno... Ideas???

[/ QUOTE ]

yes your scalp can get burned...mines did. you can use a leave in that has sunscreen in it. i believe pantene and infusium has one

Laginappe

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Laginappe said:

[/ QUOTE ]

yes your scalp can get burned...mines did. you can use a leave in that has sunscreen in it. i believe pantene and infusium has one

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about those and have been scoping them out in the store - but I'm wondering if the sunscreen in them is enough to protect skin? Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this.

ineedmoney

i am proud seattle ain't on there . . . ne way thanks for the info. i am really considering hair care for the summer.

jainygirl

i dont know....but i've been seeing some CUTE hats this spring so i just may be sporting them this summer also. i think with a neat chignon that my ends could stay protected and my hair and face would be safe from the sun

soulchild

If anybody is interested in the Infusium Heat Activated/UV Protection Leave-In 16 oz. I'd be willing to make a trade just PM me.

chocolate01

don't have anything to trade but I would like to know where you purchased the Infusium heat activated leave-in i've been looking for it everywhere.

khivey

Two strand twists for me....and for the rest of the year. No heat at all!

phynestone

A sewn-in weave that i will not take out until August. I'll probably have it tightened every month.

Does anyone know whether it's better to use a creamy leave-in or a watery leave-in during the summer?

Isis

Most of last summer I wore buns or French Twists. I did't linger in the sun (always wore sunblock on my exposed skin though)and I special ordered an umbrella once made specifically with a sun protective fabric. There are hats and clothes made of this fabric also. I may check into those hats this year.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn

oh no, philly and DC are on the list, im doomed,

i dont like infusium products, are there any other sunscreens i can use?