Hsn Vitamin/supplement 2017 Challenge (january 1, 2017-december 31 2017)

Curls&Justice417

I'm a little late to the game, but I'm going to jump in! I was taking a hsn vitamin in November, then fell off the wagon. I want to be consistent with this not only for healthy hair, but a healthy body as well.

• Beautifully Bamboo supplement daily
  • Alive! Women's Energy multivitamin daily
  • Drink a few cups of green tea daily (my favorite is the lemon and jasmine one with chamomile)
  • Drink 60 oz of water daily
  • I also like to drink one of the protein drinks like Boost as a snack
  • Eat more healthy balanced meals
  • Exercise at least 3x a week

Wenbev

@Wenbev
Lemme look that up. I know I had one of their Scalp Rx's before, but I don't think that was the name of it?

It was like a Pre-Poo Oil that was super tingly and stimulating which you used before washing.
Ms @IDareT'sHair I found the prepoo one, its called phytopolleine. That looks good too. They have a light colored one and I did just see a dark bottle but it seems they are promoting that for men. I dunno. The base of the lighter one is corn germ oil. Never heard of that oil, but I'm interested. and there are essential oils, which is right up my alley because I love me some EOs!
The one I mentioned is a serum that goes on towel dried hair. Now I think I want both. :look:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I found the prepoo one, its called phytopolleine. That looks good too. They have a light colored one and I did just see a dark bottle but it seems they are promoting that for men. I dunno. The base of the lighter one is corn germ oil. Never heard of that oil, but I'm interested. and there are essential oils, which is right up my alley because I love me some EOs!
The one I mentioned is a serum that goes on towel dried hair. Now I think I want both. :look:
@Wenbev
Yep! That's it.:supergrin:

It's a tiny bottle but it lasted 4-eva'. I got it on the cheap when P.hyto had a Friends & Family Sale.

I wish I would have bought several bottles. Even as heavy-handed as I am, it only takes a few drops and I had it a long, long time.

Really Good Product.:up:

Wenbev

@Wenbev
Yep! That's it.:supergrin:

It's a tiny bottle but it lasted 4-eva'. I got it on the cheap when P.hyto had a Friends & Family Sale.

I wish I would have bought several bottles. Even as heavy-handed as I am, it only takes a few drops and I had it a long, long time.

Really Good Product.:up:

it has been bought! I cannot help myself LOL That and the serum, a 24 pack of it at bathunwind waay cheaper than seph hopefully it doesnt take too long to arrive. nevermind its going to take a month. but its ok bc I saved 10% when I found a code

Last edited:

DiamondAura

I'd like to join the challenge. I am taking a lot of things for my hair, skin, and health....But here's a few I can remember

-Maca Powder
-Collagen
-Water/ Lemon water
-Bamboo tea
-Gelatin
-MSM
-Raw eggs
-Prenatals (not taking yet, will soon)

Attached pics are my starting point. Very careless, not taking care of my hair/health at all, no scalp or hair care. just took it out of braids. About a year of growth from being bald

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_142043_628.jpg
    IMG_20170205_142043_628.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20170205_145051646.jpg
    IMG_20170205_145051646.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20170205_141751276.jpg
    IMG_20170205_141751276.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 20

immy

A year of growth? A year??? Ok, where are them raw eggs :mad::eh: I kid I kid, thats one hella growth. Why do you tae gelatin and collagen? I thought they were supposed to be the same thing. Also, what brands and how much do you take?:prettyplease:

DiamondAura

A year of growth? A year??? Ok, where are them raw eggs :mad::eh: I kid I kid, thats one hella growth. Why do you tae gelatin and collagen? I thought they were supposed to be the same thing. Also, what brands and how much do you take?:prettyplease:
Lol thanks :D I started all this after those pics lol.

I wasn't 100% sure gelatin and collagen were the same thing after I read some articles, so I'm taking both to be sure.

I'm taking NOW foods Beef Gelatin and Marine Collagen Peptide Powder off Amazon. Im not taking the beef gelatin yet, it should arrive Sunday, but I take one scoop of Marine Collagen daily.

Wenbev

found out I'm vit D deficient even though I take it. My doc is recommending 5000 IUs daily of D3. I've been taking 1000 IUs of D3 along with a little extra in the cod liver oil.
I did some reading and found out that vit D deficiency slows hair growth exponentially. So everything I'm taking is basically negated. Sigh.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
found out I'm vit D deficient even though I take it. My doc is recommending 5000 IUs daily of D3. I've been taking 1000 IUs of D3 along with a little extra in the cod liver oil.
I did some reading and found out that vit D deficiency slows hair growth exponentially. So everything I'm taking is basically negated. Sigh.
@Wenbev
Most blacks are. :sunshine:

I take 5,000 IU's of D3 daily.

Last edited:

KenyafromCT

I just found this thread..I take-

50,000 IU Vitamin D3 once/week
6,000 IU 6 days/week
Iron 325 mg every day
B12 1000mg/every day
B-Complex 1/day
Nature's Bounty HSN 3 caps/day
Spring Valley Prenatal vitamin 1/day
Magnesium 400mg 1/day
Probiotics 2 caps/day

I've been taking Vitamin D since last summer for another health issue.

All others since December.

What are MSM & Bamboo tea for?? should I add them to my routine?

Beany

I just found this thread..I take-

50,000 IU Vitamin D3 once/week
6,000 IU 6 days/week
Iron 325 mg every day
B12 1000mg/every day
B-Complex 1/day
Nature's Bounty HSN 3 caps/day
Spring Valley Prenatal vitamin 1/day
Magnesium 400mg 1/day
Probiotics 2 caps/day

I've been taking Vitamin D since last summer for another health issue.

All others since December.

What are MSM & Bamboo tea for?? should I add them to my routine?

MSM is supposed to extend the growing phase of the hair cycle. Some people also report looser/softer new growth (I have not experienced this).

Beany

I really need to get on my green smoothies. Here's an article from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39057146 about getting more fruits and veggies.

Fruit and veg: For a longer life eat 10-a-day

Eating loads of fruit and vegetables - 10 portions a day - may give us longer lives, say researchers.

The study, by Imperial College London, calculated such eating habits could prevent 7.8 million premature deaths each year.

The team also identified specific fruit and veg that reduced the risk of cancer and heart disease.

The analysis showed even small amounts had a health boon, but more is even better.

A portion counts as 80g (3oz) of fruit or veg - the equivalent of a small banana, a pear or three heaped tablespoons of spinach or peas.

What counts as five-a-day?

The conclusions were made by pooling data on 95 separate studies, involving two million people's eating habits.

Lower risks of cancer were linked to eating:

• green veg (eg spinach)
  • yellow veg (eg peppers)
  • cruciferous vegetables (eg cauliflower).
Lower risks of heart disease and strokes were linked to eating:

• apples
  • pears
  • citrus fruits
  • salads
  • green leafy vegetables (eg lettuce)
  • cruciferous veg

Harriet Micallef, from Chippenham, says she often manages eight to 10 portions a day and has multiple portions of spinach every day.

She told the BBC: "I have a lot, I don't ever have a meal without veg or salad so eight to 10 portions is a regular thing."

She starts her day with a veg-packed omelette containing spinach and sometimes avocado or tomatoes.

Harriet's salad-based lunch is also packed with a mix of veg and her evening meals tend to be stir fries or stews.

Snacks during the day include blended fruit smoothies or peppers dipped in hummus.

She added: "It's definitely healthy, if you've got loads of colours on your plate then you're pretty much okay."

The results, published in the International Journal of Epidemiology, also assessed the risk of dying before your time.

Compared with eating no fruit or veg a day, it showed:

• 200g cut the risk of cardiovascular disease by 13% while 800g cut the risk by 28%
  • 200g cut the risk of cancer by 4%, while 800g cut the risk by 13%
  • 200g cut the risk of a premature death by 15%, while 800g cut the risk by 31%
Image copyrightTHINKSTOCK
The researchers do not know if eating even more fruit and veg would have even greater health benefits as there is little evidence out there to review.

Dr Dagfinn Aune, one of the researchers, said: "Fruit and vegetables have been shown to reduce cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and to boost the health of our blood vessels and immune system.

"This may be due to the complex network of nutrients they hold.

"For instance, they contain many antioxidants, which may reduce DNA damage and lead to a reduction in cancer risk."

However, many people struggle to even eat the five a day (400g) recommended by the World Health Organization.

In the UK, only about one in three people eats enough.

Harriet, who started cooking family meals at the age of 12, thinks more should be done to get children eating more.

"I think it comes from schooling and the traditional British meat and two veg.

"I think if you teach children to always have something green on their plate in addition then they'll naturally start having more.

"There's just so many different veg that people don't have like bean sprouts and chard."

Dr Aune said the findings did not mean the five-a-day message needed to change.

He told the BBC: "There are many different considerations if changing policy, it's not just the health effects - is it feasible?

"But our findings are quite clear in that they do support five a day, but there are even some further benefits for higher intakes."

Dr Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at Public Health England, said: "The five-a-day target is the foundation of a healthy balanced diet and is an achievable way to help prevent a number of diseases.

"Whilst consuming more than five portions of fruit and vegetables a day may be desirable... adding pressure to consume more fruit and vegetables creates an unrealistic expectation."

Not all of the 95 studies that were analysed fully accounted for other aspects of lifestyle, such as exercise levels, that could also play a role in prolonging lives.

However, Dr Aune said the conclusions were "quite robust".