Humectants

Nonie

Humectants really fascinate me, and the more natural, the better. However, I have read that even though they do draw moisture (into the hair)
, they will do the opposite in very dry environments.
In other words, they are so good at finding moisture and hogging it that if you aren't in a humid place and so there's no moisture in the air (ie outside the hair) from which to draw, the humectant will pick on your hair and draw the moisture out of your it.
( http://www.4manhealth.com/harmful-ingredients.html ) Although this article was in reference to skin, I am assuming it would apply to hair too...

So now I'm thinking that, depending on the weather conditions, this in itself is one good reason to keep a spritz of water or some aqueous solution handy at all times, esp if you know you've used a humectant in your hair, so that there's always a supply of moisture somewhere. What do you guys think? (Oh
...I just thought of something... I wonder if making your spritz solution a bit acidic (ACV perhaps) may help in locking in moisture. My thinking stems from the fact that acidity helps close the hair cuticle...
)

I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially all who use honey in their hair. Please share any noticeable differences in the feel, texture or appearance of your hair when you compare your hair with a humectant in it and when it's without one. TIA.

Pookie25

Wow, I wonder if that is true on what the article says about glycerin not good unless humidity is over 65%. Maybe I can think of a science project to do or something to prove that.
Very interesting.

Nx2brat

Nonie, that is true. I live in the south it's very humid here..so me and glycerin are best friends. But in drier climates it can adversly affect your hair if it doesnt't have an adequate amount of water mixed with it. I say 4:1 ratio. Honey is also another natural humecant so you may want experiment with that...you don't have to worry about humidity levels to see its benefits.
ETA: I use honey in rinses and hot oil treatments and I've never notice any drying effects from it...But I don't know if the high humidity levels in my area are the reason it works so well for me..or if it's solely the honey.

Nonie

Thanks for your feedback. Nx2brat...what is your humectant recipe? How do you do a honey rinse? AFashionSlave, I'll definitely try your recipe.

Ladies, how different does your hair feel without a humectant? Or how better does it feel with one? For instance, does your hair stay soft longer? Shine better? TIA again.