Humectants

Lilmama1011

I need some understanding bout it! I know it takes moisture from the hair and helps your hair to retain moisture and causes your hair to have volume because it retains moisture, so that wouldn't be good for a roller set right? Because it would cause my hair to frizz easily? I was thinking it would only be good for like buns or when you wear your hair in a pony tail and don't care about it getting big or frizzy right? Or can use a moisturizer with humectants anytime?

Americka

Humectants take moisture from the air. If the appropriate moisture levels do not exist ( IOW - too dry), then humectants draw the moisture out of the hair. This would result in dry, frizzy hair.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

Lilmama1011

Americka said:
Humectants take moisture from the air. If the appropriate moisture levels do not exist ( IOW - too dry), then humectants draw the moisture out of the hair. This would result in dry, frizzy hair.

So basically won't be good if your in Arizona.... Thanks and great point

JBunnie

The best explaination I've seen about humectants is from this article. As well as some stuff from Elle's Blog.

The point of humectants is to help keep your hair hydrated by slowing down the rate at which the water that is already in your hair (I think) evaporates. What I'm not sure of is if humectants come in other forms other than glycerin. The article details when it is best to use glycerin, so if you are using products that use glycerin the article can be helpful, because it lets you know at what dew point you should use products containing glycerin. But if there are other things that are humectants that aren't glycerin that are in your hair products I'm not sure if the article will be as helpful.

Americka

Lilmama1011 said:
So basically won't be good if your in Arizona.... Thanks and great point

From what I know of AZ - no. I live in Louisiana where our humidity free days are minimal and I use a glycerin rich moisturizer almost daily with no adverse effects.

Anytime!