Humidifier for winter hair care vs. vaporizer

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
What's the difference between a humidifier and a vaporizer? I read on the board that a humidifier is good to keep going in the house to keep moisture in the air. I own a vaporizer and am just wanting to know if I need a humidifier also.

sweetcocoa

I'd like to know also. I hope you get a response soon. I'm in the market for a humidifier, but if a vaporiser works just the same, I'll get that. Last winter I kept tea kettle on the stove on low heat to keep moisture in the air during the day. Obviously I can't do that at night.

LondonDiva

A low budget tip if you live in a cold climate like I do and use radiators etc in the winter.

Put a bowl or 2 of hot water underneath/by your radiators to put moisture back into the room. Or you can fill up a bowl with hot water and place in a room. I like your kettle idea Sweetcocoa but for me the condensation would be a problem.

nita4

It's really a matter of a cool mist vs. warm steam. I think either would work as long as they are putting moisture in the air. I would actually try the vaporizer first because...My Mom had a problem with mildrew from using the humidifier to much in her bedroom. I think this would depend on how well insultated your home is too. My FIL keeps certain windows cracked just a little in his home with security locks.

Carrot

I have a warm-mist humidifier and a vaporizer and they pretty much do the same thing, but the vaporizer is cheaper and seems to put moisture in the air quicker than the humidifier.

G

I've been using the humidifier in the colder months on recommendation from my allergist (going on my second year). It really helps keep my throat and skin from getting dried out in the middle of the night. Before I tried the humidifer I'd bought a vaporizer from Wal-Mart for $9. It worked okay but I like my humidifier better because it has a mist control knob (low, medium, and high) where you can adjust the amount of mist going into the room and the humidifier seems more effective.

The downside to the humidifier is that its noisy (I have the Robitussin brand), you have to refill it with water every couple of days, plus you have to disinfect it once per week to keep it bacteria free. I usually just start it out on high for an hour and then turn it down on low when I go to bed and turn it off when I get up the next morning.
Hope this helps!