I am convinced Haitian women have a hair secret....

Zeal

*Dee* said:
I used to use Dudley's pca as a child, my hair was very long back then.

Shout out to Mr. Dudley. He is an Alumnist as I am of North Carolina A&T State University. Aggie Pride!

Kinkyhairlady

nikki1971 said:
Are you using the Dudley's PCA on wet or dry hair? I started to try this a few months ago, but I was afraid it would make my hair hard.
The pca is a daily moisterizer I use on dry hair. It makes my hair really soft, I love it.

Firenza

Ellis,I caught up on this thread today,and you threw a new one out there.

What is Lenzi Request and where can I find it?
I was also thinking of trying some of the other products that you mentioned that you found out from your cousin that women used that was really popular.
I guess I shouldn't ask what Lenzi is,but how do you use it?

Great thread!

gn1g

Lenzi's Request is a hair growth stimulator that you grease your scalp with it is made of all natural ingredients mostly herbs. see www.sunriseproductsonline.com

SherryLove

My maternal grandma who is of african/native ancestry took care of her and me and my sister's hair very similar to what you ladies are describing here, so i do not think this is just a secret or haircare regimen should I say that is exclusive to haitian women....My grandma strongly believed in castor oil for hair care and hair growth, keeping our hair in plaits, covering it with a silk scarf before we went to bed, and used no chemicals in our hair. I was 13 when i first relaxed my hair.

Firenza

Thanks for the link gn1g. I may have to try this.
And Sherrylove,u have beautiful hair. Keep it up(no pun intended:)
I've learned about so many products from this one thread...some that I never heard about,the haitian products that were mentioned earlier.
I do intend to try a few of them,but a little at a time.

SherryLove

Firenza said:
Thanks for the link gn1g. I may have to try this.
And Sherrylove,u have beautiful hair. Keep it up(no pun intended:)
I've learned about so many products from this one thread...some that I never heard about,the haitian products that were mentioned earlier.
I do intend to try a few of them,but a little at a time.

thanks, firenz......

shiningstar84

So the secret was Jamaican Black Castor Oil or huile masketi. Where can I get this? Aint no haitians round my way and NY is over 200 miles away.
Is there a way I can make it myself?

Has anyone's hair fallen out after using Minoval? Is anyone still using it? I can't believe this thread is 28 pages:eek:

tryn2growmyhair said:
I found out what the hair secret is -- or at least part of it. That huile masketi stuff. I tried it and instantly noticed a difference in my hair! It is even better than Ojon which I tried as well. Ojon maybe has a drop of the huile masketi ingredient in it. Great stuff. Also, I think someone might have said that they tried to use African red palm oil and it stained their clothes. The huile masketi will not stain your clothes. Good stuff.

Well I know I won't be purchasing the Ojon version.

OT: Ekomba your hair is pretty!

ekomba said:
hey bluediamond, my haitian girlfriend told me the translation of huile masketi is castor oil . and the masketi one is the one in it s natural form (color of nuts crushed) hence the black color and the one sold in the states, has been stripped of its color through processing so its clear, liquid and non sticky like the black one and sold in the stores. i never tried the jamaican one but if it a sticky dark black/maroon heavy oil that smells very nutty it must be the same that you find in many cultures

ETA: i did a search and I found out I already asked those questions minus the how do you make it. Toodle loo :)

Last edited:

sweetpuff

My dad went to haiti in july and brought me a bottle of Maskreti oil (huile is 'oil' in french/creole). I've been using it on my scalp mixd with a little bit of sulphure powder. I would grease the scalp with it, braid my hair in 4 braids, wrap in a satinlike scarf before going to bed.

I also have a girl at church whose hair is past bra strap and a few months from waistlenght. She agrees that this kind of oil (or others of the like) help. That and no manipulation.

All that to say : I agree with you, girls. no manipulation, braids, satin scarf helps.

Xavier

My parents are from Haiti and I have a lot of Haitian friends some, with long hair others with short hair. There is no secret ladies. I am one this site just like everyone else looking for a program that will work for me.

Xavier

Huile Masketi is castor oil. My mom had the plant in our backyard when I was a child and she made the oil from scratch.

keluric

I read all 29 pages of this thread... very interesting. Braiding your hair is a good idea.. my mother always braided my hair at night and I still make two big french braids EVERY NIGHT, no exceptions. Since I cut my hair, I haven't experienced any breakage and only dust my ends just to be on the safe side. Also, I swear by Jamaican black castor oil, it's something I still use. I'm going to look into this Minoval. Thanks, ladies and happy growing.

czyfaith77

Naijaqueen said:
red palm oil can be found at any African/Caribbean or Asian store if you live in any of the big cities

That is what I was just thinking. My SO is Nigerian and in his kitchen I found red palm oil.

Whimsy

this thread is hysterical. Maybe it's voodoo? :)
Maybe these women just decided to start taking care of their hair.
or perhaps are weavealicious and don't want to admit it to you.

I highly doubt it's a matter of nationality. I know plenty short-haired hatian women.

keluric

I will say that some cultures do have some things that work for them that others may not know about. However, with the advent of the internet, we can all learn and share.

paradiseblossom

Both my parents are haitiens and I knew all these stuff (huile mascriti, minovial, miss antille and moelle de Boeuf) but I never used them in my hair and never knew they were haitien secrets! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I may start using them too in that case!

Thanks for all the advices!!!

Ntrlmystik

I don't know if I mentioned this already but there aren't any secrets. Just like some Americans/Jamaicans/Dominicans/etc have extremely long hair some Haitians have extremely long hair and vice versa as far as short hair.. I really think its comes to down to two factors: genetics and haircare. Many Haitians have very mixed up back grounds.(And this is the case with all the other nationalities I mentioned before) Like my grandmother is mixed with Lebonese and french. Some of my aunts and cousins you can tell just by looking at them that they have a mixed background but in others like myself you cannot tell but our hair grows quickly and long. HOwever if I don't take care of it, its just like everyone elses. I also mentioned on another thread that sometimes we look for too many answers when simplicity could be key. All the long haired people I know don't spend any time or money on their hair. They have simple regimes with simple products and wear protective styles. Also they are very big on wrapping or braiding their hair at night. The focus is on protecting and keeping your ends strong so you can retain length.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

Ellis said:
I know as a child my hair did grow alot with "Ti Couri" while using Lwiel Maketi. That is some oil from Haiti which does make the hair grow but it smells 10 times worse the WGO. /quote]

The Lwiel Masketi that you are referring to is their native castor oil in its raw form, which is why it is so dark and pungent. Many many locals use it as their main hair product.

I am Haitian-American, and my experience was different. All my sisters have healthy long hair and I did not....but now that I think about it, I am also the only US Born and Raised of my family. Anyway, Haitians use a lot of French and Spanish products. Also, since Haiti shares the same island (Hispaniola) with the Dominican Republic, there is a lot of similarities in hair care.

But to lump all Haitian women in that one category would be inaccurate. It depends on what part of the island she comes from, and her access to quality hair care products and salons. Speaking of salons, Haitian women are notorius for their rollersetting at salons....that is their main routine when they get it professionally done.

Braiding your hair at night helps to relieve the tension from scrunchies and other hair contraptions. It also helps releive the tension from clearly your sensitive hairline. Braiding is also a great way to protect your hair from the damaging sun, particles in the air, etc. Ever since I was a little girl, I was taught to wrap my hair with a silk scarf, which is a habit embedded in the culture.

My mother never followed most of the healthy practices 'cause she became an expert in weaves, owned her own salons, and it was downhill from there. Plus she became victim to quick fixes and perpetuated a lot of myths, even though I know she knew better. A lot of Haitian women still perpetuate the black hair myths, so many of them have no idea about the Haitian "secret" that you are referring to.

But overall, I do not think there is a Haitian "secret" per se. It is just that many women purchase good products and practice healthy regimens. Many, not all, 'cause it would depend on what part of the island you were from and your access to prods, etc...

Last edited:
Ellis said:
The minoval is a great product but it has minoxidil in it . According to studies Minoxidil is to be used forever or else the hair you grew will fall out. Now I have used minoval in the nape of my hair and it grew back with a quickness but I never put it all over and I have stopped for a couple of weeks and nothing has happened. So I am not sure if this is only for people who are balding that need to depend on it for the hair to countinue growing or for all individuals. It has 2% minoxidil and it also says you have to continue using it on the bottle to keep the hair growing. It only took me two weeks to start seeing hair growth in the nape and I had lost my hair back there and for months it stayed like that. With the winter weather and my wool coat it is starting to break again so I am starting to use the minoval more again and I already see improvement.

Perhaps if you wrap your hair up in a pretty scarf until you reach your destination and take the scarf off you won't get breakage from the wool coat. I live in Michigan and it's COLD here, plus I'm skinny so I wear heavy coats for November to May-ish, I don't have breakage from coats because I use scarves when I am out in the elements.

I will try the castor oil but I think I will pass on putting bone marrow is my hair. We can do some busted stuff to ourselves for the love of hair. I use to put the placenta stuff on my hair. Placenta is part of the after birth from horses. What was I thinking?

firecracker

:eek: Shaaaaaat the Haitian friends I have in NYC sho ain't got no damn bodies secret them some baldheaded chickenhead beyotches:lachen: :lachen:. **** I got mo secrets than they do:p and I damn sho ain't got no secret as you can see by my bush. :lachen: