I AM FIGHTING A LOSING BATTLE WITH MY HAIR.......

MaintaintheSexy

Hey Ladies! I am new here and I am learning so much that it is a bit overwhelming and I am trying to take it all in without get lost and confused. :spinning:

Okay. Here's my story. I've worn weaves (both glued and sew in) for the past 5 years. I occasionally wear braid extensions. I've relaxed my hair every 6-8 weeks since April. Immediately after I relax my hair, I'll put a weave in because I am uncomfortable with the length of my hair. My hair is neck length, uneven in certain areas, dry, and thin. I haven't relaxed my hair since the end of October and I am currently wearing braids. I cut it back in October. I am not a fan of them because the braids usually thin my edges, but I HAVE NO OPTION AT THIS POINT. The health of my hair has been compromised by weaves, chemicals, heat, the list goes on. Mostly every style damages my hair or doesn't help it at all.

I know a lot of you ladies on this forum have come from the bottom and are climbing your way to the top or have made it to the top. What hairstyles do you guys suggest while I aid my hair back to its health, attempt to obtain length and LOOK BEAUTIFUL at the same time?
I've attached a picture. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Attachments

• DSCN0206.jpg
    DSCN0206.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 133

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I'd say try to stretch your relaxers to at least twelve weeks, and try wigs or half wigs as a protective style while you baby your hair back to health. Braids are good too, but use human hair if you can and not synthetic (too heavy), and individual braids instead of french-braids extensions. don't glue weave tracks in, have them sewn in if you decide to weave it up again.

Stepiphanie

Rollersets and pin curls are a cute styly for that lenght. That's how I made it through last winter. Also braid-outs and twist-outs are cute styles. I have some pic of the styles I did when my hair was shorter in my fotki http://public.fotki.com/Stephgotdat/ Don't give up!! my hair was shorter than your when I started, so i know you can do it:yep:

PPGbubbles

As a newbie I say start at the Stickies and navigate from there because there is a pleathora of info here it can be overwhelming

The back to back weaving/braiding then relaxing seems to reek havoc on your strands.

If you want to use protective styles to grow i suggest you stop relaxing and strectch. These ladies put a lot of TLC into their freshly relaxed strands. I can imagine you being able to do so while in a PS.

I am natural so all in need is a lil moisture under my weaves/braids and a good protein treatment inbetween and im good to go. So I cant offer much in the way of advice.

I hope some of the relaxed gurus who wear weaves will come in and help!!!!

Last edited:

malibu4590

I would suggest wigs or phony ponies and buns to help get your hair on the right track with little manipulation. Those are the three protective styles that got me from broken, damaged neck-length back in 2007 to where I am today. Just remember patience is key.

Find yourself a good shampoo, deep conditioner, and leave-in (and an optional oil like cocount or castor oil to seal). You don't have to spend a lot of money to get great results.

Good luck and WELCOME! :)

beans08

Hey Ladies! I am new here and I am learning so much that it is a bit overwhelming and I am trying to take it all in without get lost and confused. :spinning:

Okay. Here's my story. I've worn weaves (both glued and sew in) for the past 5 years. I occasionally wear braid extensions. I've relaxed my hair every 6-8 weeks since April. Immediately after I relax my hair, I'll put a weave in because I am uncomfortable with the length of my hair. My hair is neck length, uneven in certain areas, dry, and thin. I haven't relaxed my hair since the end of October and I am currently wearing braids. I cut it back in October. I am not a fan of them because the braids usually thin my edges, but I HAVE NO OPTION AT THIS POINT. The health of my hair has been compromised by weaves, chemicals, heat, the list goes on. Mostly every style damages my hair or doesn't help it at all.

I know a lot of you ladies on this forum have come from the bottom and are climbing your way to the top or have made it to the top. What hairstyles do you guys suggest while I aid my hair back to its health, attempt to obtain length and LOOK BEAUTIFUL at the same time?
I've attached a picture. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Braids can be a great way to retain length, but do watch how you handle your hair while you have braids, and especially after you take them out! My hair would be a lot longer right now if I had taken better care of my hair during the time I wore braided extensions. You have to baby that hair.

Maybe you could tell your hair goals to your braider, or find someone like-minded to braid your hair. Make sure they are being careful not to braid your edged too tight. Make sure your hair is well conditioned. Don't let anyone use skinny combs or combs with ridges when they are doing your hair!

Read up on the crown and glory method- I wish I had known about it when I wore braids!

And stay away from the glue-in weaves, that glue is not good for hair retention.

camilla

1.NEVER relax every six to eight weeks hair does not grow at that rate 10 week min
i relax every three to four months

2. NO glue in your hair ever

3.never relax ang braid or weave hair is too weak after being relaxed it needs something to hold on to (new growth) IF you ar weaving relax leave out ONLY but still not befor 10 weeks

4. moisture, moisture, moisture try to wash once a week AND co wash during the mid week When my hair was cut your length a whle ago i wet wrapped my hair first with shampoo comb to remove tangles the VERY gently comb in a curcle then either air dry or under dryer typ a scarf around is and make sure it is smooth first

I wear half wigs MOST of the time i am in the weave challenge my avi is a half wig
5. alway deep condition and put in a leave in after rotate protein and moisture. i deep condition twice a week
chech out these you tubers wig/half wig advice when i take of my half wig at night i spray with diluted leave in(my hair is braided under) then scarf /bed this has helped me go fron a ear length HEALTHY bob to past apl

6.potect your hair and be VERY gentle with it try not to use sulfate shampoo
but once a month to clarify7

7 LOW HEAT i use heat about once a month ex flat irons etc. roller set or get a full weave and make sure you are moisturizing your hair between the braids if i have a sew in straight i may flat iron with heat protector once a week then lay that part down at night or pin curl or wrap just the leave out i do not use heat on my own haie every day to blend with the weave

if you have questions ask away i am willing to help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR60AICxur4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g10Eg8sLfs

below is a member here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv2NoxkzhZY
OR JUST TYPE IN HALF WIG CURLY OR STRAIGHT your hair does not have to be as long as theres

Attachments

• curly wig.jpg
    curly wig.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

sharifeh

Hello, welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about weaves and braids but first of all your hair doesn't look bad to me. Definitely don't relax your hair before 8 weeks. Go even longer if you can. What products do you use? Make sure you are using good products and deep conditioning your hair on a regular basis. I also recommend adding coconut oil to any deep conditioner you may be using and using heat with that.
You'll find lots of information here, good luck.
I think you should give the weaves and braids a break and get to know your hair, but if you don't want to do that, I'm sure there are plenty of ladies here that use either one of those things that can give you advice. Maybe you can start a thread asking for weaved relaxed ladies regimens......

a_shoe_6307

Braids are great way to grow out your hair. I'm natural so Ic an't tell you much about relaxers, but I do know 6-8 weeks is to frequent and does nothing but kill the hair. Try stretching. Also, low manipulation while in braids is the key. Try not to pull the braids into tight hair styles or let them hang down. Do not let them braid the hair tight and baby the edges (MN mixes are a good way of strengthing the edges while in braids). Also, moisturize the braids and the scalp. Also, keep the scalp clean and be very careful when removing the braids. Redo the edges if need be.

Half wigs are also another good option and whatever you do stay away from hair glue!!! It is very damaging to the hair and is just not healthy for it all aorund. HTH!

LadyRaider

When I first started here I wore my hair in curly styles. I found satin pillow rollers (I started with the cotton pillow rollers) and then moved on to bantu knot outs. Took me a while to work up the courage to wear the bantu knot outs out of my house though. I learned to wear a headband.

Curly hair hides the uneven parts.

I also wore a phony pony wrap thing from Tony tail. I still use those. I like the ones from Tony tail because I think they are high quality than the revlon ones you get at Sally's and they cost less as well.

Heck I guess I'm still doing all those things. Except I general get curls from braid outs now and not rollers.

Truth

From my relaxed days.. I can say phony pony's with baggie and Braid outs... did the trick.... I started out at neck length.. by the spring of the following year i was alittle bit past shoulders.. IT CAN BE DONE... the ladies have given excellent advice.. Stretching relaxers definately help.. Also, If you are gonna weave it up or Braids.. dont relax your hair before... Let it be in all it's nappy glory...Remember moisture and good products also help as well.. You're not losing the battle..U just haven't mastered how to fight it yet!!

AnitaTheLengths

Stretch the time between relaxers and give up the braids completely. I once felt EXACTLY the same way...that my hair was so damaged that I could only wear braids. But the truth is, the braids looked okay but they did more harm than good. Eventually I noticed that I couldn't even wear my braids up in ponytails because the hair on the sides of my head was scarce. If the hair is already weakened from chemical processing, attaching the braid hair adds more weight to the weakend shaft and if it's dry or brittle, you can kiss it goodbye. If it's braided too tightly you can kiss it goodbye. If it snags on the seatbelt and you feel that little 'tug' and hear that barely audible snap - you know you can kiss a few strands goodbye. Give up the braids. Try some of the curly styles posted and baby baby baby your edges!