I can't get my hair soft and manageable-----HELP!!

S

Stylepink

I can\'t get my hair soft and manageable-----HELP!!

Can someone out there help me? I have Type 4 hair that is relaxed. I have been using the Cathy Howse system for since 11/02 and have noticed that my hair is thicker and in better condition that ever before. I do condition my hair with Motions Moisture Plus conditioner and I try to do this, under a dryer for at least 2 to 3 x's per week. Yet, my hair is not getting as soft and manageable as I would like it to be. Also, its getting tangled quite a bit, even though I wash and rinse in the shower. Can someone give me some much needed advise. I am willing to try anything.

Deeadra

www.marykay.com/dursinzachary

adrienne0914

Re: I can\'t get my hair soft and manageable-----HELP!!

okay, some of yall may have seen me mention this before (lol!), but i've had great success with curl activator.

seriously, i can't tell you how manageable it makes my hair. not only does it soften the new growth, but it also keeps my ends really moisturized so i'm able to retain more length.

it's really reasonably priced. so if you have a few bucks, why not give it a try. i like S-Curl No Drip spray and World of Curls gel.

adrienne

NayNay

Gurrrllll I suggest KeraCare Humecto! I am 4a or 4b and I leave it in my hair with a plastic cap and my hair is SOFT and completely detangled. Do a search for the post! It is the best in the east or the west. Is KeraCare a public company....LOL if it was I would BUY some STOCK!!!!!

adrienne0914

yeah, the Humecto is awesome. i definitely agree with you on that. i thought she was wondering about after she washes. what do you use on your hair then?

adrienne

Allandra

For moisturizing after shampooing and conditioning, I use either Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom, Worlds of Curls or Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer. I also use a hair serum, but not very often. I also believe that a good moisturizing conditioner is one of the first steps in having soft and manageable hair. I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in with other suggestions. Why don't you post your regimen (which should help out with giving you more advice).

leejure

I agree with Adrienne. When my hair was extremely dry and was always breaking, the only things that made it soft was the curl moisturizer.

-lee

NayNay

Believe it or not post washing and setting the KeraCare keeps my hair very soft. IT is the bomb for me. See Allandra I was resisting the Elasta QP Mango Butter BUT now since U & ADRIENNE are talking about it...I may have to buy it! And I wonder why I am a PJ???????
Bad GIRLS!
Oh back to the question. I also avoid hard or drying setting lotions. You could be using too much protein. Post your regiment like Allandra said and see what the ladieez have to say!

Also the hair consists of about 10% water....are you drinking enough??????

daviine

Well I was thinking that perhaps you might want to try a moisturizing conditioner (not saying that MMP isn't moisturizing , but maybe you need more).

Also you may also want to consider getting S-Curl or some other type of curl activator.

My last suggestion is to dampen your hair slightly with water BEFORE applying your moisturizing.....that leaves my hair so moisturized and soft! I love water!!!!

HTH

daviine

BTW: LMFAO @ Adrienne----I think I've heard you mention that once or twice before about the curl activator.

adrienne0914

daviine!!!

i haven't chatted with you in ages! i hope all is well with emile and you know who...

i think you're right about dampening the hair before putting products on it. this works for me also, particularly with the activator and vaseline. maybe that's why i don't have to do it that often during the week because i initially put it on my damp/wet hair. hmmm...

adrienne

Hi Stylepink,

I agree with the suggestions given so far, in particular using scurl during air dry days as it really does keep the hair softer and moisturized. Spray it on after washing/conditioning it.

Keracare Humecto is very moisturizing. I just tried it last week and concur
Also, Kiehls with Silk Groom does soften hair nicely too, particularly when used as a leave in for a rollar set. How do you dry/style your hair? do post your regime so we can give more info.

JenJen2721

Stylepink,
Pre-shampoos w/olive oil, castor oil and/or jojoba oil mixed w/a little honey helped tremendously w/my dryness. I let this sit for about 1 hr on damp hair before washing w/Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo. I always use a moisturizing conditioner under the dryer for about 20 minutes especially if I use a protein conditioner. I always follow-up w/a creamy leave-in to totally detangle. After my hair is dry I use a little jojoba oil before combing out my curls. I know it's a lot of products, but my hair always comes out super soft w/this method.
HTH,
Jen

S

Stylepink

Thank you all so much for your wonderful replies! You were right! I was using to much protein in my hair. I found out that my daily moisturizer had aloe vera in it and aloe vera is a protein and it was making my hair hard! So now after I wash my hair, I use Motions Moisture plus as a deep conditioner, and I after I rinse, I air dry and use Wave Nuveaux Moisture sealer and Shea Butter! My hair feels like silk. I'm having a hard time finding the Mango butter sown here. I'm in southern California and I usually shop at Sally's for my product....Yes, I am a Product Junkie..and I'm Proud of it
So nice to find other ladies who are product junkies too! Thank you all for your wonderful help and I look forward to participating in this discussion board.

S

Stylepink

Thanks for your help! I've been looking all over and cannot find the Elasta QP Mango butter. Any suggestions on where to find it? I did get some Shea Butter and that was wonderful but I would like to try the Mango butter too!

TinyT

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Stylepink said:
Thanks for your help! I've been looking all over and cannot find the Elasta QP Mango butter. Any suggestions on where to find it? I did get some Shea Butter and that was wonderful but I would like to try the Mango butter too!

[/ QUOTE ]

My walmart carries it for about 3.63. If yours doesn't ask them to carry a few of the Elasta QP products. It may take a while finding, but if you frequent any particular shops, ask them if they can carry it. If they think they can sell it the will order it sometimes.

Tracy