I can't stop looking at my new growth!

Ennyaa

I can\'t stop looking at my new growth!

Ok ladies, it's official. I've become OBSESSED with hair growth.

About 2 weeks ago I did my own braids for the first time. But I didn't attach the hair at the root as is the usual method. I began by braiding my own hair and then adding hair on after braiding a couple of inches. I found this made my braids REALLY light and has put little to no stress on my hairline which is great. But that's not the point of this post.

I think I'm going NUTS! Usually when I get braids I'm very critical of new growth because I always just assume the extension has slipped down some. But since I didn't do my braids that way I know that what I'm seeing can't be that! It has barely been 2 weeks and I swear it's amazing watching how quickly my hair is growing in! There's about 1/2 inch, in some places more in some places less. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually I think it's gettin a little out of control because if I don't catch myself I can stand in front of mirror for 20 minutes at a time just looking at the growth on each individual braid! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Sometimes during the day at work I'll actually get up and go to the bathroom to look at it some more. hahahahaha I've completely lost my mind. Actually my braids and hairline have gotten fuzzy (not nappy which is interesting) and I don't even care.

Sorry this is so long but I guess I'm just amazed to see that all the supplements and products and time that I'm putting into my hair really is paying off. *sigh* I can't wait till I go for my texturizer touch up on Feb 1st. Hell I can't wait till I re do these braids in 2 more weeks.

Say a prayer for me ladies... I've lost it.

Robin41

Re: I can\'t stop looking at my new growth!

Congratulations on your success thus far. A couple of questions on doing your own braids: How many did you put in, how long did it take and how do you get straight parts?

I think I'll be putting in my own braids over the X-mas holiday but only about 10-15 braids total because any more than that takes too long and my arms get tired and I can never get the parts straight.

I hope I have as much success and new growth as you. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ennyaa

Thanks Robin!

As far as putting the braids in I have to be honest and say it pretty much took me a whole weekend. Started at 11:30am on Sat and stopped at 4:30am plus took breaks for lunch and dinner. Sunday I started at about 7pm (lazy) and again finished at 4am (Boy was I tired the next day at work. lol)

But they are also down to my behind so it really shouldn't take that long for let's say shoulder length. Someone asked about the parting in another thread and basically what I told them is:
1 - I part by "feel" (sometimes I even close my eyes) and then use two mirrors to check the straightness in the back. After a while you'll get very accurate. I always start from the kitchen and work forward.
2- I use the kind of rat-tail comb that just has a metal stick poking out of the back. It really helps for precision. Actually I start out with a slightly bigger rat-tail to avoid pulling on the kinkier parts and then the metal one for preciscion.
3- Must use clips and bands to hold other hair out of the way.
4- I applied WGO to each section before braiding.

Since you asked I went ahead and counted my braids.... Well there are 98! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm surprised myself actually I didn't realize there were that many. I guess I'm more patient than I thought I was. Inspite of the time and effort it took I love these braids and I'll be doing the whole thing again in 2 more weeks. Plus it only cost me $6 bucks.

pmichael52172

Now see THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Doing your OWN thing and getting better results than other stylists out there. Who says we don't know our own hair... license or no license. Not to mention it was cheaper in price, but not in quality.

I love it!

sweetcocoa

Congrats Ennyaa!

kasey

Congrats on your NG Ennyaa and your braiding skills.

I really love braids. Initially I wore my braids in a bob style, but when I moved, I had to get a new braider. I told her to braid my hair in a bob, but she did what she wanted to do and gave me b/s length braids.

At first I was like /images/graemlins/mad.gif and determined to cut them short.

But after a while I saw that the longer braids gave me more glamour and flair, and that is really what inspired me to try to grow longer hair.

I have been considering getting braids again at the start of the new year. The main issue is that I am kind of low on cash, and I am not sure I have the patience and skill to do them myself.
--kc

Ennyaa

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks everybody!! You guys are the best. I wanted to share my excitement with my sister but I know she woulda just rolled her eyes at me and said I was crazy.

Now I'm off to the ladies room to ummmmm.... yeah to go to the bathroom. lol

pebbles

Hey Ennya,

Congratulations on the new growth! Keep up the good work! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Robin41

Ennyaa, thanks for the info. 98 braids? And you're doing it over when?? And here I was thinking I was kinda ambitious wanting to put in 10-15 braids! You rock, girl.

I have a love/hate relationship with braids. Love the convenience but get tired of the monotony really quickly and need a new look. Right now I can't wait to put them back in (it's the Gemini in me). Thanks again.

Ennyaa

Well just so ya know I PLANNED to only put in about 10-15 braids... lol but once I started parting *shrug* I don't know what happened. And even until I counted them just now I thought there were 50 in there tops. I guess cuz they aren't really thick.
Don't forget to let us know how your braids turn out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

auntybe

Ennya! Girl you've got me wanting to braid my hair. I like the method you decsribed. I stopped getting braid because they always slip out or feel really heavy. 98 braids! Wow! I'll do good if I can do 10.

G

Ennyaa, don't worry.

I have an obsession with new growth too! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I like playing in it, particularly the left side for some reason, maybe 'cause I am right-handed.
My favorite thing to do, is take a group of new growth that is coiled together, and separate all of the strands out of the curl.

That ain't healthy. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ennyaa

OMG I was just doing that to the hairs in my "kitchen" last night. hahahaha I put some WGO on my fingertip and then was separating out the little hairs looking at the curl pattern. What's starting to bother me though is that hair is growing in further and further down my neck. And I don't mean peachfuzz either , some of them hairs are like 2-3 inches long. What if I turn into a hairy monster? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jenai

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Now I'm off to the ladies room to ummmmm.... yeah to go to the bathroom.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL

Congrats on the braids.