I dont get it. How does this girl have such nice hair???

empressri

Am I the only one who doesn't think black hair is particularly course?
To me it feels soft, like lambswool.

when i think of coarse hair, i think of hair that you can color, try to curl, perm or whatever and it wont take. hair that i can gather up in a bunch and sweep a floor with. to me THAT is coarse.

typically i dont think we have coarse hair because it's so fragile. we can do more damage to our hair with certain tools, compared to some like my friend whose hair did damage to MY comb! she was filipina with THICK coarse hair down her waist. she used my comb SNAP!!! right into two pieces. and her hair was stick straight.

Your Cheeziness

Judging by the last few posts everyone defines "coarse" differently and that's how we end up with debates like this where people don't agree. Coarse is an adjective that describes texture. It has nothing to do with curl pattern/size. I bolded the part that would relate to hair.

Definition of COARSE
1: of ordinary or inferior quality or value : common
2a (1) : composed of relatively large parts or particles <coarse sand>
(2) : loose or rough in texture <coarse cloth> b : adjusted or designed for heavy, fast, or less delicate work <a coarse saw with large teeth> c : not precise or detailed with respect to adjustment or discrimination
3: crude or unrefined in taste, manners, or language
4: harsh, raucous, or rough in tone
5: chiefly British : of or relating to coarse fish <coarse fishing>

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coarse

Glamourstruckk

when i think of coarse hair, i think of hair that you can color, try to curl, perm or whatever and it wont take. hair that i can gather up in a bunch and sweep a floor with. to me THAT is coarse.

typically i dont think we have coarse hair because it's so fragile. we can do more damage to our hair with certain tools, compared to some like my friend whose hair did damage to MY comb! she was filipina with THICK coarse hair down her waist. she used my comb SNAP!!! right into two pieces. and her hair was stick straight.

Did she buy you a new one? Just wondering randomly.

Valerie

This thread is hilarious. I really don't understand how people on this board take some of these YT'ers so seriously. Based on this girl's answer on her FAQ page she isn't mixed. At least not recently....LOL. Her family tree sounds like many AA's and I don't consider that mixed. Shoot me...IDC. :shrug:

Also, LHCF is about generalized healthy hair practices. This board is not the end all be all to proper hair care. But it does provide some general guidelines to follow. That doesn't mean that if you choose to treat your hair differently it wouldn't retain length. Nor does it mean that you will retain length by doing everything the LHCF way.

Some of you seem to think that LHCF rules are all or nothing. Calm down and chill out. It's not that serious. People who never find LHCF can still have long hair that looks great.

And another thing ..... being mixed or having a certain hair textures is not a guarantee of long hair. Just like having type 4 hair isn't a guarantee of having short hair. I have never had a problem growing my type 4 hair and I have never done anything complicated or extreme to my hair. Even as a LHCF member I keep it simple and do what works for me.

THANK YOU AND WELL SAID and she has such lovely hair!

naturalTAN

Judging by the last few posts everyone defines "coarse" differently and that's how we end up with debates like this where people don't agree. Coarse is an adjective that describes texture. It has nothing to do with curl pattern/size. I bolded the part that would relate to hair.

Definition of COARSE
1: of ordinary or inferior quality or value : common
2a (1) : composed of relatively large parts or particles <coarse sand>
(2) : loose or rough in texture <coarse cloth> b : adjusted or designed for heavy, fast, or less delicate work <a coarse saw with large teeth> c : not precise or detailed with respect to adjustment or discrimination
3: crude or unrefined in taste, manners, or language
4: harsh, raucous, or rough in tone
5: chiefly British : of or relating to coarse fish <coarse fishing>

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coarse

:perplexed

Coarseness has nothing to do with texture. It refers to strand size. Fine strands, medium strands, coarse strands. That's why people say Asians have coarse hair because the individual strands are thick like wire and are hard to process. Like empressri said, if you grab a bit of hair, it looks like you could sweep with it.

Black people are just used to saying they have coarse hair because of relaxer boxes that are labeled for coarse hair when they really mean a tight texture.

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

:perplexed

Coarseness has nothing to do with texture. It refers to strand size. Fine strands, medium strands, coarse strands. That's why people say Asians have coarse hair because the individual strands are thick like wire and are hard to process. Like @empressri said, if you grab a bit of hair, it looks like you could sweep with it.

Black people are just used to saying they have coarse hair because of relaxer boxes that are labeled for coarse hair when they really mean a tight texture.

I think people use thick and coarse to mean the same thing when, imo, they do not. One can have thick (wide in diameter strands) with medium and any other combination. I have always understood Asian hair to be fine and coarse. Meaning the strand is smaller in diameter, however, the cuticles do not lay all the way flat (compared to Eurpean) hair giving their hair sheen instead of shine.

Another example is paper. A piece of paper can be thinner than normal but still have a textured (coarse) feel at the surface. While thick paper can have smooth surface. Its width is separate from its surface texture.

Eh...whatevs. Like I said, everyone has their own definition.

ETA: I stand partially corrected. Coarse does mean thicker strands, but it still means surface texture as well. So I was halfway there.

Source: http://www.asianbeautyblog.com/threads/1086-is-asian-hair-fine-normal-or-coarse-1.html

Last edited:

empressri

Did she buy you a new one? Just wondering randomly.

lol she kept offering but i told her dont worry about it. it wasnt an expensive comb, back then i couldve bought two for a dollar at the bss im sure. we had a million combs at my house. she felt soo bad and was embarrassed!! lol im still friends with her to this day, i should email her and ask her if she remembers that day at the bus stop lol!!

sapphire18

Am I the only one who doesn't think black hair is particularly course?
To me it feels soft, like lambswool.

TrueBeliever You are not the only one. I agree. Course means the individual strands are thicker than average. Typical asian hair is course. "Asian hair is very different. It is usually so straight and heavy that every mistake will show, so you must be extra careful when cutting it. The strands are also rounder and thicker, and even coarse compared to the hair of Caucasian women." Course hair is durable, the girl in the video regardless of ethnicity has course hair. My mom has course type 2 hair that can stand up to the strongest of relaxers and the highest temperature of flat irons. My grandma has type 1a hair that no curly perm can curl for more than a week her hair is very course. The individual strands of my 4b hair are of normal thickness and when my hair is relaxed I cannot apply heat or my hair will suffer from breakage.

Source:
http://www.asianloop.com/article/70/The_Straight_Story_on_Asian_Hair?rtn=%2Farticles%2F