I don't understand what's going on with my hair...

auntybe

I don\'t understand what\'s going on with my hair...

I am really loving my big 'fro. I got a trim all the relaxer is gone.
My ends are very dry,curly,tangled and coarse. My roots are wavy and soft. I have used leave-in conditioner, oil, grease and conditioner washes. What else can I do? I've broken 3 large combs in a week.

thanks in advance

keylargo

Re: I don\'t understand what\'s going on with my hair...

Hi auntbe. Maybe you need to change your products. You wore your hair in a weave for a long time and now your ends are exposed to the elements. You'll probably have to come up with a completely new regimen. I'm sure the rest of the ladies here can give you some suggestions.

BronzeBrown

Auntbe, when was the last time you had a trim? It sounds like that could be the culprit. You can do it at home if you don't have a stylist you trust enough (that's what I do). Just do 12-15 huge twists, gently tug them straight and then snip the necessary portion off. And don't try to save a bit of length by not cutting off all the damage (I've been guilty of that in the past
)!

If after the trim, your hair is still crunchy then I'd highly recommend buying some Carefree Curl Instant Moisturizer. It's a wonderful softener for natural hair.

Naturalistic

Hi auntybe--
Congrats on your big chop! I know that my hair doesn't do well with grease at all or any petroleum-laden products. I can still use one or two that contain mineral oil but I try & limit my hair's exposure to that, too. My hair loves natural oils, like Carol's Daughter products or Nexxus Botanic Oil. I also like refreshing with a rosemary spritz (I found the recipe on another board, you can send me a private msg. if interested). Also, loosely twisting or braiding at night & covering with something satiny or silky should help. I wear protective styles a lot 'cause when I wear my hair just out, I notice it feels dry by the end of the day. HTH

CICI24

It may be scab hair thats how my hair was when I went natural too.

babyblue

try the shea butter pomade by kemi oyl. that stuff has really saved my ends. also you may need a trim. i know you had weave for a while so your ends probably havnt gotten the proper amount of moisture that they would have gotten normally and now that the ends are exposed they probably need extra conditioning. Do some deep treatments with a cholesterol type conditioner for a few weeks. that will keep your ends soft and pliable and make combing easier.

auntybe

Thanks for all the aadvice ladies:

Keylargo: everything I put in my message is my new routine, I haven't had the time to change my signature.

BronzeBrown: I just got an inch trim 2 weeks ago that's when the problem started..sorry I didn't make that clear.

Natural: I was using those items you suggessted before my trim maybe I'll go back to those.

Babyblue: I'll try to find the pomade this weekend.

Thanks again! Auntybe

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
It may be scab hair thats how my hair was when I went natural too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Sounds like you still have some scab hair to get rid of. Once that is trimmed and you keep your ends very moisturized(curly hair is drier than straight hair) you should see an improvement.

auntybe

I have never heard of scab hair. What is it?

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
I have never heard of scab hair. What is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Auntybe here's a thread on this subject... Scab Hair